PDA

View Full Version : poker genius

09-06-2001, 07:48 PM
ok, so a little bit ago, Sredni Vashtar emerged from the deep mysterious cave he resides in and posted an interesting thought. it was about the possible link between creative/artistic (musical specifically) proficiency and great intuitive poker skills. there was not much response to this, and i wanted to bring it up again, to see what everybody thought about the idea. is it valid? is it more than valid? how many of you out there play an instrument? which one? do you think there is a relationship between your musical skills and your poker skills?

09-06-2001, 08:16 PM
I was very active in High School and in fact recieved First Chair at Regionals for Alto-sax 1. I played (with mixed results) drums and base. If I wasn't tone deaf I probably would have made something of myself.

Lets see some musical skills: [] recognizing harmoneous relationships [] Finding a small disharmoneous note that when tweaked a little changes a harsh dischord into a pleasant chord [] Maintaining tempo and rythm helps continuity of presense and prediction for the future [] Hearing the forest while looking at the trees [] Discipline, focus, practice, and skill.

Yes.

- Louie

09-06-2001, 08:28 PM
I do not play an instrument. However, I can't help but notice the beautiful and musical quality of Sredni's words...very poetic, with soft hidden rhythms. Does Sredni know Izmet? Izmet used to post sometimes beautifully too.

09-06-2001, 08:39 PM
I have a set of TAMA's, and I'm a good poker player. So, yes, I believe there could be a connection. I'm not sure though.

that is all,

dannyboy :o)

09-06-2001, 09:10 PM
Hey! I got TAMA's too! Superstar, '83, cherry, still looking and sounded great after 2000+ gigs.

And a seven-foot Baldwin Grand. And a Martin guitar. And these really cool little shakers that look like fruit.

If a connection between poker and music exists, I think it comes not from the music itself, or even the act of playing it, but rather, from the puzzle-like nature of playing and learning music, and the openmindedness-in-action that results.

Tommy

09-06-2001, 09:36 PM
Written by Louie Landale:

Lets see some musical skills: [] recognizing harmoneous relationships [] Finding a small disharmoneous note that when tweaked a little changes a harsh dischord into a pleasant chord [] Maintaining tempo and rythm helps continuity of presense and prediction for the future [] Hearing the forest while looking at the trees [] Discipline, focus, practice, and skill.

All the same things could be said (with slight adjustments) about playing chess.

If you're trying to find a connection, you're likely to see one even if it isn't there.

09-06-2001, 10:18 PM
"If you're trying to find a connection, you're likely to see one even if it isn't there." Very true. But its also true that if you are NOT looking for a connection you are unlikely to find it even if it IS there.

Never-the-less, you basically hit the mark.

- Louie

09-06-2001, 10:54 PM
I have a set of Pearls, Latin Percussion Congas and Timbales .. and I've been on a real bad streak for a month .. Maybe being a drummer doesn't count ..

09-06-2001, 11:16 PM
And I'm allowed to say this because I am one.

What do you call a guy who hands around with four musicians?

A drummer.

09-07-2001, 07:45 AM
If this musical thing is true would "skin flute" proficiency count? If so how come more "hookers" don't take up poker?

Vince

09-07-2001, 09:07 AM
Playing the skin flute is critical to good poker. As is playing the upright organ.

Tommy

09-07-2001, 12:01 PM
If not music what about art? I think artists are often thinkers and people watchers. I know I play a home game with 6 friends all artists(2 sculptors, 3 painters, 1 photographer) One of the sculptors has only been playing for a few months and has a natural ability to read people very clearly. He doesn't really know how to play but often wins by betting when everyone is weak or calling a bluff with ace high.

monkeyman

09-07-2001, 12:10 PM
I play piano, now for my own enjoyment. In my younger days I taught and played for local shows here in town (L.A.). I'm a better piano player than I am a poker player because, for me, I've been able to progress to the point where the music is an art.

Maybe if I were a better poker player, I would feel the same wasy about cards. But it seems to me poker is a skill, a science, a tehcnique. When I'm in a zone at the piano, I'm beyond that: it's not just the notes, the paino keys, the technique, it's an almost otherworldly euphoria that goes beyond the music itself.

It seems to me Tommy Angelo has a bit of this in his play and attitude towards the game and one would think Sredni does as well. But, for me, there's no connection between my music and my poker game.

09-07-2001, 12:12 PM
"the upright organ. "

Ah! Yes, those were the days.

vince

09-07-2001, 02:06 PM
I don't play any musical instruments but I can sing. In my younger days, I used to sing in a HS band - Elvis/Sinatra stuff and some people think I was pretty good. There are times that when I'm playing a hum some old tunes that some oldtimers become interested in and become a side conversation in a friendly table. The table becomes lively and for some reasons these oldtimers keep on calling my bets and raises as they begin to think that I was become just a happy-go-lucky guy having some fun. Of course, I take the pots. I guess this part of music works too! Comments?

09-07-2001, 05:33 PM
not quite what i had in mind, but cool anyway...

09-08-2001, 03:57 AM
Who knows? The brain is so complex there might be something to that. I play a little guitar as well (as badly as I play poker or worse!)

Personally, I find lots of similarities to poker in some of my other favorite activities- investing and baseball particularly. Whether I'm managing a portfolio of stocks or a rotisserie baseball team I often find myself thinking of analogies between the three activities. Cool huh?

09-10-2001, 04:26 AM
I very much appreciate your comments, M, they make me want to come out and write again, just gimme a good problem.

I do not know Sredni, however, he does not know me, we are not

associated in any way.

---

Izmet Fekali

Burek Experts Ltd.

Catering the World Since 1389!

Albania, Slovenia, Europe

http://www.fekali.com