PDA

View Full Version : stop and go resteals

fnord_too
09-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Here is a tactic that I use a lot that I have not seen discussed here. I'm sure it has been discussed, and I can't immagine it not being a common line, but I wanted to vet my thoughts.

Here's the situation: someone in late position raises on what is most likely a steal attempt and I am in the BB. I prefer calling before the flop and then leading the flop with a trash hand to a direct resteal. Here's my logic:
The person stealing may decide to gamble with a weak ace, big connectors, or a small pair if you try to resteal pre flop.
Chances are the flop will not hit the stealer hard.
Calling from the blind (if you have a tight image and have been folding blinds) is a scary thing to a stealer.
Leading after the flop puts more pressure on the stealer because now, it looks like you caught the flop. It is much harder to call here with say a pair of sixes and a board like 59Qr than it is to call (or reraise) pre-flop with that same pair of sixes. Even a hand like AK is going to fold a fair amount of the time here, though they would probably never fold preflop.
Also, against most opponents, a raise here will mean you are beat so laying down is pretty easy. A call is pretty painful, but a check on the turn usually will tell you where your opponent is at.

At any rate, I have had good success with this tactic. I admit that I don't directly re-steal very often, and I usually have some semblance of a hand when I do. Any thoughts?

SossMan
09-02-2004, 04:22 PM
I think it will work againt middle of the road players. Against bad players, you shouldn't be bluffing anyway. But, against good players, I think you may run into trouble.

Since I don't play with many people on here very often, I'm going to give away one of my favorite plays.

I will often come over the top of someone who bets into me on the flop out of position if I raised preflop. (no matter what my cards, although some sort of out is nice to have...i.e. overcards or a gutshot).

If they really had a monster, why wouldn't they check raise me? That bet you describe looks weak to me, and I like to attack weakness.

Warning: this play sometimes gets me in trouble /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Potowame
09-02-2004, 04:24 PM
I will use this line, on habitual stealers of my blinds. Can be a nice chip gain, a majority of the time. This also works to slow down steals on your BB/SB.

this is very player dependent of course, don't try this with a guy who will call to the river with bottom pair on the flop or A high. But I am sure you know that already /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

ThingDo
09-02-2004, 04:28 PM
About how deep are the stacks w/ you try these guys? Blinds? Does it matter?

SossMan
09-02-2004, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
About how deep are the stacks w/ you try these guys? Blinds? Does it matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deep enough for me to be comfortable folding if reraised. Prob 30x-35x minimum.

Cleveland Guy
09-02-2004, 04:32 PM
I think someone tried to do this to me last night.

Blinds were I think 50/100. Folded to me in CO. I raise to 350 ( I think) with xx. BB Calls. BB leads out 400 (half pot) on a flop of 7 high rainbow. I raise to 1K. He folds.

We both had between 6K and 7K chips.

I was pretty sure he was re-stealing, as we both had pretty tight images, and I had a read he could lay down a hand.

DonT77
09-02-2004, 04:40 PM
I will almost always raise the BB when he makes this play.

fnord_too
09-02-2004, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it will work againt middle of the road players. Against bad players, you shouldn't be bluffing anyway. But, against good players, I think you may run into trouble.

Since I don't play with many people on here very often, I'm going to give away one of my favorite plays.

I will often come over the top of someone who bets into me on the flop out of position if I raised preflop. (no matter what my cards, although some sort of out is nice to have...i.e. overcards or a gutshot).

If they really had a monster, why wouldn't they check raise me? That bet you describe looks weak to me, and I like to attack weakness.

Warning: this play sometimes gets me in trouble /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, the players I use this against are usually pretty weak. I typically avoid the stronger players if there are other targets at the table.