PDA

View Full Version : Were did slavic go?

slavic
09-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Well I’ve been home for a week now (Actually it will be 2 weeks tomorrow) and I guess it’s time to explain were I’ve been for the last 3 months. Back in May while playing at the local card barn I noticed a little blood when I went to the bathroom. As you can quite well imagine I was a little upset and scheduled a doctors appointment which is something that I would almost never do being male and all.

At this appointment I met my assigned doctor who turned out to be a very attractive woman in her late 20’s. Within 30 minutes of meeting her she was telling me how she had the smallest hands in the office; hmm this is obviously not going well. After having my manhood seriously defiled I was misdiagnosed with hemorrhoids and sent home with random suppositories. After 2 weeks of treatment nothing was improving and I ended up back in Satan Wench’s office of rectal pain. To my relief she referred me to a surgeon and decided not to “help” me any longer.

So I meet the Colorectal Surgeon and after an initial hour of interview and examination I’m now lined up for the big reaming in a week. Unfortunately my body had a bit of a crash and I landed in the emergency room dehydrated and bleeding heavily on the 4th of July a few days before the test. After a full day in the hospital I was told that I didn’t have cancer but I did have Ulcerative Colitis. This was confirmed a couple days later after the Colonoscopy and with my body in as bad of shape as it was I was immediately put into the hospital.

7 weeks of hospital life later I was missing 3.5 feet of intestine, been through two extensive surgeries, and lost close to 60 pounds. Seeing a 6 foot guy down to 160 pounds is a scary site let me tell you. Over the past couple of weeks I’ve finally been able to eat solid food again and have built up enough strength to sit at a computer for a few hours a day. Let’s just say it’s a blessing to be able to communicate again.

At this point I’m still looking at 1 more large surgery in 6 months or so, but the process is curative so once I’ve gone through that life should go on as per normal. This is not always the case with this type of disease. Let me just say it’s not the type of thing that I would wish upon anyone. For those of you who know me, well the summer session of school was blown to hell and I’m hoping to be strong enough to make the fall but nothing is certain yet. The medical bills have also all but killed of my poker roll; it’s going to take a while to get that back into shape.

Over the next few months I’ll start to get myself back into working form. So if you see a super emaciated guy check raise you in at your local card room watch out because I’m coming for your cash. Ahh it’s good to be back, better to be alive.

-Dan

RiverMel
09-02-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear about that. Best of luck with the future.

FeliciaLee
09-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Wow, I was just wondering what happened to you, then the other day I saw a lone post that you made, and thought maybe you just took a hiatus on us.

I'm so sorry to hear about this health problem. I have some friends who have this same problem, I guess it runs in the family, because the mother has almost no lower intestine left and a fake colon. The son and daughter are likewise missing many feet of their lower intestine. They are functional though, and live normal lives. That is a good thing!

Their first cousin died of colon cancer, but he let his condition go way too long, due to youth and resistance to getting help. I think he died when he was about 25. If he had sought help first, it never would have gone so far, but when you are a teenager, you think you are invincible.

I'm sure you will get through this and be stronger for the experience. If you ever need someone just to listen, please write.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

gcoutu
09-02-2004, 03:18 PM
wow, my hands are shaking cause i had noticed a fair amount of blood a few weeks ago and dismissed it thinking that if it was bad it will be there tomorrow. i had no problems the next day so i haven't thought much about it since. i am 23 and a stubborn male so this is very eye opening. slavic, maybe hit me with a pm and let me know more so that i can be armed when i go to the doctor. damn this really sucks, but im glad to know that i need to get something going soon.

JTrout
09-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Welcome back.
Sounds like a tough hand you were dealt, but I'm happy to hear you'll beat it.

Best wishes for you and your health,
JTrout.

FeliciaLee
09-02-2004, 03:31 PM
GO TO THE DOCTOR! My brother was 24 when he got cancer (Hodgkin's Lymphoma) and didn't go to the doctor for over a year, although the symptoms were there. He had lost over 50 lbs. (he was already thin to begin with, but only weighed 120 lbs. at 5'11").

By the time he sought help it was almost too late, the cancer was in his vital organs. It took him years to pull through, and only his youth saved him.

GO TO THE DOCTOR!

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nolanfan34
09-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Best of luck with your health, and thanks for sharing your story. If I ever get the roll to play in the 10-20 or 20-40 at the Muck, I'm sure you'll check-raise me out of a few bets plenty of times!

dogmeat
09-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Slavic! We missed you. I am sorry for your health problems, but very happy that your health is improving and your life will be back close to normal in a few months. God Bless!

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

scotnt73
09-02-2004, 04:29 PM
welcome back bro. i wish you the best.

andyfox
09-02-2004, 04:51 PM
I don't know you, slavic, but hang in there. Courage and love will get you through. Sounds like you have courage to spare, and I hope you have people who love you too.

Good luck.

Joe Tall
09-02-2004, 05:10 PM
I wish you the best, Slavic and happy to know that you are getting better and fighting a good fight.

Take care,
Joe

ThaSaltCracka
09-02-2004, 06:02 PM
ah, so you were the one Bernie was talking about. Hope you get better man and welcome back.

bernie
09-03-2004, 01:00 PM
At least we can't say you were sitting on your ass the whole time. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sounds like a rough ride. Little late now, but i know a fantastic place in seattle that takes care of rectal problems. Glad to have ya back.

You didn't have any medical? That can be a bitch. Some places will go easy on ya if you don't have any insurance.

Hopefully see ya at the cardbarn soon. Bring a donut to sit on.

cya

b

Schmed
09-03-2004, 01:15 PM
even so much so that I don't even mind reading that during while eating a Burger... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

rigoletto
09-03-2004, 01:57 PM
Good to have you back and I'm glad to hear you are pulling through! The best of luck to you!

spamuell
09-03-2004, 03:23 PM
It's good to have you back, I miss posters like you. Perhaps you should post more to help distract you from how you are feeling. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously, I wholeheartedly wish you better.

Incidentally, I'm 6ft and I weight about 135 pounds (actually a little less).

jasonHoldEm
09-04-2004, 01:35 AM
Here's to a speedy recovery...have faith, everything will turn out ok in the end. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

J

BottlesOf
09-04-2004, 02:36 AM
Hey Slavic, welcome back. The forums weren't the same without you.

(I'm BottlesOf, btw...)

Fun Slavic fact: For those of you who don't know: Slavic was the original creator of the "hand history converter" popularized more recently by bisonbison.

Rick Nebiolo
09-04-2004, 11:13 AM
"Seeing a 6 foot guy down to 160 pounds is a scary site let me tell you."

Hey, I'm just under 6'1" and only weigh a few pounds more than 160. No wonder people avoid me! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Regards,

Rick

stir
09-08-2004, 10:15 AM
I know you only from your well written and helpful posts and had wondered where you had gone.

Very rough time for you, but glad to hear you're recovering.

I can't help but wonder if the whole experience might gone a little easier/less traumatic if you hadn't been misdiagnosed by the Satan Wench?