PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this wrong on the river?

z32fanatic
09-02-2004, 02:39 PM
At this point, my bets and raises are getting tons of respect as I have only shown down winners and have taken MP's stack multiple times. MP has also bluffed many times and showed, leaving me to believe he is a typical LAG. One other key hand I played against him I checked the river to him when I was unsure of my hand. He bet all in which was about 1/2 the pot and I called to have him show a bluff. I put MP on a draw after he cold called the bet and check raise. After the draw didn't hit, should I have checked to him and let him bluff at it? If he is on a draw he won't call anything, so should I check?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

MP ($48.75)
CO ($129.05)
Button ($8)
SB ($56.65)
BB ($27.40)
Hero ($130.05)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Hero calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.50) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $3</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, MP calls $7, CO folds.

Turn: ($19.50) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, MP calls $15.

River: ($49.50) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $16</font>, MP folds.

Final Pot: $65.50
<font color="green">Main Pot: $49.50, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $16, returned to Hero.</font>

TakeMeToTheRiver
09-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Hard to say. Since you called him once on the river and burned him I wouldn't expect him to do it again without a hand. His call on the river indicates to me that he thinks he can improve but has no concept of pot odds.

What do you think he had? I guess I would put him on a missed straight... maybe a QJ? At least it wasn't AT...

I would have likely bet out like you did.

schwza
09-02-2004, 04:43 PM
raise pre-flop, and raise more on the flop.

the turn's fine.

i would check the river. just because you snapped off his bluff earlier doesn't mean he won't try again. i also like the river check because he might have been calling with a ten. in that case, he'll raise the river, and since he's bluffed a fair amount, i might have to pay him off. check-calling keeps the pot smaller.

i'd say we're probably looking at 1 of 3 hands:

1) flush draw - you want to check. might not get any $ in anyway, but if you check you've got a chance.

2) ten - you want to check.

3) smaller king - you want to bet. KQ may or may not try to bet for value here, but it's pretty likely to call a bet.

i think 1) + 2) is more likely than 3)... i'd bet.