PDA

View Full Version : How badly did I play this

Player111
09-02-2004, 01:59 PM
HI ..new to the forum ,been reading for awhile and think its great ! anyway, on to my hand .. very early in the tourney., Pokerworld $50 buy in .everyone started with $1500 in chips ,I am down maybe $50 ..I am big blind , called by only the guy on my right .. I have Jack/Three unsuited ..he calls I check ..flop comes 4,4,Jack ...I make a small bet he calls..I am wondering if he is slow playing a set, or is fishing,.. turn is a rag ..no chance of flush ..he checks, this is where i think i made a mistake ..by checking, he was either teling me he had nothing or still slow playing a set,, I checked , letting him see the river for free ..river comes an ace ..he bets i call lose pair of jacks to pair of aces.I know there are alot of details missing, but my question is..on the turn should i have bet ? ..was checking not wanting to get sucked into a check/raise way to tight..i think so, and i think i lost the hand on the turn ,,how would you play it ?

jayrutz2
09-02-2004, 02:25 PM
I think you have to bet and fold if re-raised

Potowame
09-02-2004, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I make a small bet he calls..I am wondering if he is slow playing a set, or is fishing,.. turn is a rag ..no chance of flush ..he checks, this is where i think i made a mistake ..by checking, he was either teling me he had nothing or still slow playing a set,, I checked , letting him see the river for free ..river comes an ace ..he bets i call lose pair of jacks to pair of aces

[/ QUOTE ]

Well not to be harsh but, I think this was miss played on every street.

Why make a small bet on the flop, Make a bet that gives you info. If you bet the minimum bet you are getting called by alot of hands.

The turn , check is not terrible, if you bet more on the flop and was called to think you where beat. But, seeing how you mini bet the flop , bet the pot to a rag.

The River, How much was his bet? If it was pot size why call. You really can't beat much but a bluff, and you have very little invested in the pot. Plus he was been passive every street than wakes up to a ace.

MHO.

ThingDo
09-02-2004, 02:27 PM
you say you made a small bet on the flop... I don't know how small it was but if it was a min bet I hate the way you played the hand. I would have overbet the pot by about 30-50 chips. If he calls I make the same bet on the turn, fold to a check raise and check behind on the river, you have a much better idea of where you are in the hand if you bet more on the flop. Some posters might say to keep the pot small but I don't think risking an extra 30-50 chips on the flop to take it down right there is much of a risk at all. HU situations really early in tournies this is generally my strat if I flop a pair HU unless I'm slowplaying in which case I might play it differently.

Player111
09-02-2004, 02:30 PM
thanks..good advice..that hand bothered me allnight..like you say, why didn't i just make a good size bet on the flop ..if he comes back at me, i fold..

ThingDo
09-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Another way to play the hand which wouldn't be awful at all would be to check behind on the flop and to just fold to a bet. Not that I advocate weak-tight play and top pair will be good on that flop a large % of the time I think, but you have basically 0 invested and it doesn't matter. There is value in calling though, as you get to see his hand which could be very important later.

AceKQJT
09-02-2004, 02:52 PM
I would not immediately put my opponent on trips just because there is a pair on the board. I make a pot-sized bet on the flop. If he calls that, I ask myself why. If he is a decent player, he will probably call that flop bet with as little as 2 overcards, maybe even any ace...it is heads-up, and requires a little looser post-flop play.

If he checks to me on the turn, I bet about the same as my flop bet, maybe more. If he calls that bet, then I check behind on the river or fold to reasonable river bet. If he ck/rs me on the turn, I fold. If he folds, I muck and type "7-4...gotta love those BB hands LOL" in the chat window.

--Casey

Potowame
09-02-2004, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If he folds, I muck and type "7-4...gotta love those BB hands LOL" in the chat window.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hum, I like that.

Plus, this would be a good time to just bet out pot size with nothing. And the same on the turn with a rag. He will have a hard time calling a turn pot bet with nothing but overs. If you get caught, its a nice set up for your big hands.