PDA

View Full Version : WSOP 2005 Predictions-we'll know whos right in 7 months

KanigawaCards7
09-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Heres my predictions

1. There will be around 4200 players
2. Kathy leibert(sp?) will win and Amarillo slim will finally slit his throat.
3. David Williams will make a final table, but not Raymer
4. The womens tournament top prize will go up to 90k
Thats about it for me. What do you think will happen?

jwvdcw
09-02-2004, 01:13 PM
5000 players, I'll win, Hellmuth and Matusow will cry after suffering bad beats to get eliminated, the Crew will still be homos.

KanigawaCards7
09-02-2004, 01:15 PM
What, Phil Hellmuth complain about a bad beat? No way.Couldnt happen.

wayabvpar
09-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Freddy Deeb will wear his lucky shirt if he plays at the TV table.

ESPN will come up with another silly interlude (like 'The Nuts'), and continue their tradition of never mentioning stack sizes or blind/ante amounts.

Phil Hellmuth will arrive late, JUST so the ESPN camera can catch him joining the action late. He will then proceed to make some big laydowns in his continuing bid to be the loudest, most annoying and most irrelevant former WSOP champ.

Someone will tackle Dan Harrington and bend the brim of his hat.

Mike Matusow will self-destruct. Also, the sun will rise in the east.

Greg Raymer will last longer than Varkonyi or Moneymaker in his title defense, and will make the money. He will not repeat, however. (Hope I am wrong about that one, unless it is he and I heads up at the final table!)

5000+ players, easily. Hell, they might get 5000 Internet qualifiers alone.

rdu $teve
09-02-2004, 02:59 PM
5000 players will be nothing. Just look what last years TV coverage did for this years ##s. Its hard to say what ~triple the coverage will do. I hope they increase the buy-in for the main event to compensate for some of the madness. I also hope they dont put that stupid $6M limit on 1st place, they need to keep it as a % of the total pool.

I do beleive the other games will grow in a larger percentage than the main event, because they actually did give SOME coverage to them.

Yes, Raymer will do much better at defending his title.

And something that definately must be done: Find a spokesperson from Harrah's (for the add on gambling addictions) that doesnt look he should be a spokeperson/recovery from Alcoholics Anonymous.

Solitare
09-02-2004, 03:05 PM
A non-pro will win.

Part of it is sheer numbers. With 5000 projected entrants, fueled by the internet, pros are being outnumbered by internet amateurs.

I also think the increased number of entrants are changing the nature of the event, which the pros may or may not be adjusting too. Daniel Negranu said it when he busted out the first day -- he was probably playing too aggressively, trying to bluff out amatuers that are not bluffable (from not knowing any better).

Seems to me that the pros are used to playing the same players week in and week out. Many rely on their knowledge of these player's tactics and tells. This knowledge does not have any value, and may indeed have significant negative value, against a large field of internet amateurs that sport random playing styles.

jedi
09-02-2004, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2. Kathy leibert(sp?) will win and Amarillo slim will finally slit his throat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, Slim was misquoted as saying he will slit his throat if a woman won. He was actually talking to (and about) a specific woman back in the day, and he'd slit his throat if SHE won the tournament. He obviously didn't have a very high opinion of her.

The4thFilm
09-02-2004, 03:20 PM
The partypoker zerg will win.

Toro
09-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Varkoni won't win and if I'm wrong I'll shave my head!

PokerNeal
09-02-2004, 05:26 PM
My prediction.

The pros will make a dramatic comeback. Having eaten humble pie this year they will watch and re-watch ESPN and live and re-live their moments of defeat that will fuel them with rage and determination. Raymer, Moneymaker are all history -- Helmuth, Herrington, Devil Fish, Negreanu, the professor, the doctor, the carpenter, will rule.

PS. I heard this from a reliable media source. The media created Tiger Woods to boost the golf game. Michael Jordan to boost basketball when it was most needed. Then lacking any other sport to create media dollar from (they dabbled with cricket for a while and gave up on it) they took poker which had been relegated to the backroom and used Chris Moneymaker to fuel the ratings and thus their media dollars. They took a break this year to dabble with olympics and are not happy with dear ole pudgy face Fossiman winning the crown. I am told that there is a secret auditioning going on in La la land (LA) to pick a media-worthy player set for the final table which will bring the highest rating to the game and the highest $$$$$ in terms of advertising and promotions. I was approached but my name or occupation and height/weight/looks were considered not market worthy. If any of you out there look like a media clown, have an interesting name like moneymaker, live in the backwoods or have weird strange hobbies and personality you then might just be the next poker star. Contact me and I will hook you up with the media moguls.

Duke
09-02-2004, 05:45 PM
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that the post is a joke.

~D

SossMan
09-02-2004, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...way to go out on a limb there...might as well predict the Red Sox won't win the WS.

zing!!

Toro
09-02-2004, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...way to go out on a limb there...might as well predict the Red Sox won't win the WS.

zing!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Prop bet for you Soss. I'll shave my head if Varkoni wins 2005 WSOP if you promise to shave your head if the Red Sox win the 2004 WSOB. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.S. You did get it didn't you? You do remember Hellmuth had to shave his head when Mr. QT won in 2002.

PokerNeal
09-02-2004, 06:42 PM
I heard this from the same source that told me that Osama Bin Laden is suing Mapquest for having got him lost in Afghanistan. Now you have it...

SossMan
09-02-2004, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
P.S. You did get it didn't you? You do remember Hellmuth had to shave his head when Mr. QT won in 2002.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i remember.

Toro
09-02-2004, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so it was lame and not funny. But you didn't give me an answer on the prop bet.

CrisBrown
09-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Predictions for 2006,

After 7500 entrants show up for 2005's two-week main event, in which the final table consists solely of 25-and-under players (and one speed freak) who can stay awake after 14 days of 15-hour-a-day playing, and after a protest by the makers of Preparation H, who say there's just no way to provide that much of their product to that many people who are going to sit in one chair for that long ...

... Harrah's will finally come to its senses and realize that, like the U.S. Open and other similar sporting events, the WSOP needs to have qualifying elimination rounds. An estimated 9,850 players will pony up with their Internet qualifier tickets, while a whopping 150 will actually pay the $10,000 entry fee. They'll be broken into 20 flights of 500 each -- conducted in side rooms and other hotels during the other events -- with the top 24 from each plus the top 25 WSOP Player of the Year point leaders, for a total field of 500 in the Main Event.

Phil Hellmuth will be incensed that he takes a bad beat in an early qualifying tourney, and will be even more upset when he busts out one spot short of qualifing via Player-of-the-Year honors. This, however, will be a minor sidebar to the primary story of his having crawled across the table to strangle Howard Lederer during a Razz event, after Phil mucked a 6, fearing that Howard must have a 5 to raise, except that Howard then flashed a busted three-pair hand.

In the Pot-Limit Omaha Championship Event, a tire store owner from Cincinnati will win, although not without some drama for TV viewers and 2+2 commentators, who will see him muck quad 10s after his opponent turns up an Ace-high flush.

In her second consecutive Main Event final table, Annie Duke will stand up to hug an opponent after snapping off his AA with JTs on a JTT flop. Alert 2+2 commentators will immediately announce that she is either: (a) flirting, or, (b) patronizing, but in any case, certainly worthy of the most extreme possible derision.

Having reneged on his promise to kill himself after not winning the 2004 Main Event, Mike Matusow will undergo extensive psychotherapy and decide that he simply is not tempermentally suited for tournament poker. Instead, he will join Lon McCaren and Norman Chad in the ESPN booth, where he will last almost fifteen minutes before Chad -- tired of not getting a lame joke in edgewise -- beats him unconscious with a headset.

Phil Ivey will make poker news when he appears at the final table nude. After much speculation, he will explain that he lost not only his shirt, but also his shorts and underwear in on prop bets. This will, however, prompt an ocean of Janet Jackson-esque protests from viewers in the Bible Belt.

Having lost the 2004 Presidential election and, depressed by his failure at everything he has ever tried in life, George W. Bush will decide to take up poker or, as he calls it, "Texas Bomb'Em," and will make a brief appearance in a qualifying round before being disqualified for relying on advisors. He will, however, write a book on the subject, titled "The Big Green Caterpiller Poker Method." Alert 2+2 readers will note that the pictures are too easy to color.

Bob Snelling, from Minot, North Dakota, will be the lone Internet qualifier to make the final table of the Main Event. Although he will lose, he will win the undying love of upper midwesterners for his signature phrase: "Wooh ... another full hoose for the moose!" When asked what he will do with his prize money, he will reply: "Move to a place where my lips don't freeze together from November to March."

Erin Ness will make her third trip to the WSOP, hoping for a final table finish so she can repay Maxim Magazine for her early departure in the 2005 event. With a desperation born of a contract which states that, if she does not make the money in 2006, Maxim Magazine, Inc. will have all rights to her firstborn child, she eeks out a 10th place finish. Maxim accountants are waiting to take the money from the cashier, and tell her that, incidentally, she has been laid off because Maxim is moving its operations to China, but thank you very much for your loyal service and sacrifice to the firm. There is a happy ending, however; to show his support for Vice President John Edwards' "Jobs for Americans" initiative, former president Bill Clinton hires Erin as his "personal poker coach."

Gus Hansen rambles and gambles his way to a third-place finish, at which point alert 2+2 commentators note that his success was solely due to the four outdraws they saw on the ESPN telecast.

Greg Raymer will return after a disappointing 20th place finish in 2005, and, using his customary aggression, skill, savoir-faire, charm, dazzling good looks, and whatever else it will take to get him to laugh at this post, be the one to bust Gus Hansen. New 2+2 commentators will note that he takes too many risks, and could have won if he'd just waited to play big pairs heads-up.

And the winner? None other than Clonie Gowan, despite being the only player at the final table who earned her way there via the Blind Man's Bluff tournament. Alert 2+2 commentators will opine that her success was directly proportional to the depth of her neckline, however, at least one poster will begrudgingly note that yes, it was a good idea to call Greg's all-in on a 4-4-A flop, when she held 44 to Greg's AJs, although not without noting that "she should've folded preflop."

All of this, however, will be overshadowed by the U.S. government's new "Poker Voter Act," which will permit U.S. citizens to register to vote by registering at any online poker site. As a direct consequence, there will be well over 2500 poker sites to choose from, including Hallipoker.com, a subsidiary of Halliburton, Inc. Although the site will feature many unknown games such as "Texas Fleece'Em" and "Omaha Overcharge," it will be a great success owing primarily to its live, nightly simulcasts on Fox News.

Honest.

Cris

nolanfan34
09-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Awesome.

This thread is now closed.

TheJackal
09-03-2004, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread is now closed.

[/ QUOTE ]
LMFAO.
I think that it will again be a mix of online qualifiers and 1-2 pros at the final table. I think that there should be a league of some sort for the WSOP so that it doesn't turn into the lotto. Phil said "If luck wasn't a factor, I'd win everyone". A little over the top, but I'd change it to, "If luck wasn't a factor, a pro would win the main event". Online qualifiers can play good poker and I would never count them out, but I think even the best online player would struggle against the top pros for an extended period of time, (I would actually consider Greg a pro moreso than most online qualifier's because he plays large tournaments other than the WSOP, so that doesn't really apply to Fossilman).

Trainwreck
09-03-2004, 05:05 AM
5000+ players.

I will win beating Kathy Leibert with 72o vs her 87o when flop comes 722 and then she goes AI!

The final table will be all women, except me...

My take will be 9 million.

I might as well dream big! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

>TW<

xxx
09-03-2004, 10:18 AM
More than 5000 players
Razz will not be an event
There will be someone carried from the event in an ambulance
There will be an accusation of chip dumping
There will be 2 or more people of Asian heritage at the final table
The crew will have gone their separate ways with some bitter feelings over unfairly divided housework and beer runs
Doyle or Dan will make the final table
The chip leader at the point the field is cut in half will not make the money

See you in 7 months!

McMelchior
09-03-2004, 10:26 AM
The Poker Craze has topped, everyone (including yours truly) is more than satiated with TV poker. By June 2005 playing tournament poker will no longer be "hot" and the most obvious way of rubbing shoulders with celebrities. The figures for the main event is not going to go any higher than is was this year, they will most likely drop to a more reasonable 1,200 - 1,400 participants.

Sorry about that, poker has had it's '00's heyday, but at least it was great!

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

Toro
09-03-2004, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Poker Craze has topped, everyone (including yours truly) is more than satiated with TV poker. By June 2005 playing tournament poker will no longer be "hot" and the most obvious way of rubbing shoulders with celebrities. The figures for the main event is not going to go any higher than is was this year, they will most likely drop to a more reasonable 1,200 - 1,400 participants.

Sorry about that, poker has had it's '00's heyday, but at least it was great!

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're right. I can beat 1200 players! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Abagadro
09-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Gold, Jerry, Gold!

Walter Pullis
09-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Two predictions:

1. About 4500 at the main event. This will be the peak amount. It future years it will stabilize at 4000-4500.
2. The final table will have:
a. 2-4 amateurs, i.e great players we don't yet know about.
b. 2-4 middle level pros, including at least one maniac
who sneaks in.
c. About 2 top pros

lolita16
09-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Okay here goes...

RJ (aka lolita) will best a field of 5000 to be the first female to win the big one! Mike Matesow will completely lose it seeing a female win, and will finally fade off into a padded room never to be heard from again.

(or that's my dream anyway)

dogmeat
09-03-2004, 01:29 PM
The total entrants to the WSOP final ($10,000) World Championship will be much greater than this year's 2500 - or I will do one or more of the following:

A) Send a nasty letter to ESPN
B)Set off a stink-bomb in Binions during the final
C) Shave my head, using a rusty old can lid

The whole and/or idea will leave you all guessing.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

09-03-2004, 10:27 PM
They'll do something soon to eliminate all the riff raff. They'll raise the entry fee to $20,000 within a few years and limit the number of internet qualifiers.

What did Doyle say when he was eliminated, "70 percent of the players are pathetic".

Dan Mezick
09-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Linda Johnson had this to say recently in an interview:

"A lot of the growth depends on the support for land-based tournaments from the online cardrooms. If they continue to support the WSOP, I think next year's attendance will be at least triple over the number who played this year. "

Last year's main event had 2576 entries.

A tripling implies 7728 entries in tha main event in 2005.

Linda Johnson is certainly qualified to hazard a credible and likely accurate guess.

KanigawaCards7
09-04-2004, 04:35 AM
want to give credit to cris for a great well written prediction run down.