PDA

View Full Version : AQo in SB

DrSavage
09-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Is it too agressive? Not agressive enough? Where should i be drawing the line ?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 17.50 BB, between Button and Hero.</font>

TJD
09-02-2004, 01:26 PM
I do the same preflop and flop and THEN bet the turn.

This means that if you are too aggressive then I am a near maniac! That probably explains it.

He could just be paying a lot for his free card. He capped the flop because he was going to get a free card for his flush draw no matter what it costs /images/graemlins/smile.gif

OR he could be trying to get a free ride to the river with KK in case a) it is ahead or b) he hits another K

OR he could be convinced that AJ is the best hand out.

Of course he could also have a set or AK or AA. His reaction to your turn bet might give you a clue.

I do admit that seeing a guy cap twice should make you worried but Preflop he might just be angling for control for the sake of 1 extra SB and similarly on the flop after trying for a free card play.

You do not mention any reads. Was this guy a maniac or a rock; such things matter.

My line may be too aggressive. I doubt very much whether yours was.

trevor

DrSavage
09-02-2004, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You do not mention any reads. Was this guy a maniac or a rock; such things matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my 2nd hand at the table, i have no notes and/or pt stats on anybody as my hard drive went belly up 2 days ago /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

I would probably lead the flop again if it was HU, but in protected pot i really didn't know if i wanted to put one more bet in there against a typical player after preflop and flop cap.

TJD
09-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Whether you lead the turn is another issue I think.

You asked whether you were too aggressive. What else could you do?

You must raise PF surely.

You must bet the flop unless you decide to CR. If you bet the flop, surely you will 3 bet.

In other words, I think you were NOT too aggressive.

{I agree the third player is a possible worry but I think he does not have AK else he would have raised preflop and a set would probably have capped when you 3 bet the flop.

When I originally replied I looked to the end and saw that he had gone so I decided not to mention it.}

Now whether I am too aggressive is another issue. Perhaps others would comment on whether I need locking up.

trevor

DrSavage
09-02-2004, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree the third player is a possible worry but I think he does not have AK else he would have raised preflop and a set would probably have capped when you 3 bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not worried about UTG as much as SB who keeps raising two people. With UTG's presence it's harder to put SB on a pure bluff or overplayed TT-KK

Ulysses
09-02-2004, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do the same preflop and flop and THEN bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting the turn in this game is no good.

Joe Tall
09-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Often, if he is jamming a flush draw, he'll check the river through so I'd bet out infront of him. You will rarely be raised by a better hand on a board like this.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Ulysses
09-02-2004, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Often, if he is jamming a flush draw, he'll check the river through so I'd bet out infront of him. You will rarely be raised by a better hand on a board like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting the river is bad. A flush draw that might bet again will fold. AK will still raise. But sometimes so will AT/AJ.

Joe Tall
09-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Betting the river is bad. A flush draw that might bet again will fold. AK will still raise. But sometimes so will AT/AJ.

Yes, I agree, now. With a better read on the opponent (one that will play the flop like a maniac) betting the river would be better.

Thanks Diablo,
Joe Tall

Ulysses
09-02-2004, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I agree, now. With a better read on the opponent (one that will play the flop like a maniac) betting the river would be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Close. Facing an opponent against whom betting the river is better, betting or checkraising the turn is better than check-calling. I can't really think of a case in which check-calling the turn then betting the river is the optimal line.

TJD
09-02-2004, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Betting the turn in this game is no good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because in this game all players have you beaten? Or is there some other reason?

trevor