PDA

View Full Version : Thought Process

kendall
09-02-2004, 11:05 AM
First post! I'am just starting to play and have read Ken Warrens book and now reading Small Stakes. I would like to know the if anyone follows a thought process for preflop, flop, street, and river. Example might be for pre flop:
1: what position am I in.
2: watch betting action
3: etc...

I realize that things change, but I'am looking for very basic process a beginner should follow.

Thanks,

flair1239
09-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Preflop: I consider

-My position.
-The action in front of me.
-The likelyhood of a raise behind me.
-My hand strength.

An obvious example would be on the button with 4 callers in front of me I will probably play a hand like 54s, K2s, or even 86s. Where in early or middle position I would fold without a 2nd thought, unless the table was predictably passive (even then I would not do it frequently.)

Flop: I consider:

-How many people.
-hand strength.
-how coordinated the flop is.
-size of the pot

For an extreme instance if I have top pair with top kicker and there are 5 people in the pot and the flop is three suited and there is are also three cards to a straight, and there is a bet and a raise to me; I would consider folding (unless the pot was huge). Whereas with a ragged flop and the same hand I would probably reraise.

mistrpug
09-02-2004, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First post! I'am just starting to play and have read Ken Warrens book and now reading Small Stakes. I would like to know the if anyone follows a thought process for preflop, flop, street, and river. Example might be for pre flop:
1: what position am I in.
2: watch betting action
3: etc...

I realize that things change, but I'am looking for very basic process a beginner should follow.

Thanks,

[/ QUOTE ]

Warren's book is garbage, and Small Stakes Holdem is too advanced for a beginner. Winning Low Limit Holdem might suit you better for now. Hold onto SSH for later.

illunious
09-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Check out this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=genpok&Number=905576&Forum =f1&Words=process&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=90557 6&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newe rval=2&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=# Post905576) "mental checklist" posted a while back.

kendall
09-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Thanks, All the advice will really help. I can't find the book on this site. Am I missing it? I would like to supoport this site by buying off it. I guess I'll google.