PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this?

kdotsky
09-02-2004, 01:50 AM
I found this in one of Raymer's old posts. I don't see how it's possible, and I hope I'm not missing some sort of joke:

"Don't forget that suited hands make two-pair and trips more often than unsuited hands. If you disagree with me on this statement, please start a new thread to discuss, since it is off-topic for this one.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan) "

45Player
09-02-2004, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget that suited hands make two-pair and trips more often than unsuited hands

[/ QUOTE ]

I’ll have a stab at this.
Suppose you’re on the button with 86s, then you might call the big blind if you got in cheap. However you would be less inclined to call if you had 86o.
Suppose then the flop came K,8,6.
So now you have two pair, and it is as a result of calling with a suited hand.

People are more likely to play with suited cards rather than unsuited, so therefore they will make two-pair and trips more often with suited cards.

kdotsky
09-02-2004, 02:23 PM
That still doesn't mean that it's more likely to make two pair or trips than 86o. Obviously you're more likely to hit two pair or trips when you play a hand rather than not play. That's essentially saying the more hands you play the more likely you are to make two pair or trips.

This is still really boggling me, because I know it can't be true, but I know Raymer is no fool. The only explanation I can think of is that he was making a joke, but in the context of the thread I don't see how it could be.

ThingDo
09-02-2004, 02:36 PM
LOL

SossMan
09-02-2004, 02:50 PM
maybe post the thread, but the only thing I can think of is that you flop a draw and back into 2 pair or trips. or you flop a pair w/ a backdoor flush draw and hit trips where you would normally fold if you didn't have the backdoor outs.

Nottom
09-02-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe post the thread, but the only thing I can think of is that you flop a draw and back into 2 pair or trips. or you flop a pair w/ a backdoor flush draw and hit trips where you would normally fold if you didn't have the backdoor outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure this is what he was going for.

kdotsky
09-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Yep you're right. I was searching for the thread so I could post it when I found someone asking the same question in response to Greg's comment. Here's the responses (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tourn&Number=209437&Forum= All_Forums&Words="Don%27t%20forget%20that%20suited%20hands%20make%20 two-pair%20and%20trips%20more%20often%20than%20unsuite d"&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=209437&Search=true&whe re=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=w &olderval=1&oldertype=w&bodyprev=#Post209437) if anyone's interested.

kdotsky
09-02-2004, 04:37 PM
And if anyone would like to tell a newbie poster why my URL code is messed up, that would be nice too