PDA

View Full Version : case against Kobe Bryant dismissed

daryn
09-02-2004, 01:03 AM
what's the dilly yo?

nothumb
09-02-2004, 01:09 AM
I think she's dropping it to file a civil suit.

That's what you get for goldbrickin in the Yukon.

NT

ThaSaltCracka
09-02-2004, 01:17 AM
I knew it would be dismissed.

andyfox
09-02-2004, 02:52 AM
Apparently A) the woman had no idea that since there were only two of them in the room, she might have to testify against him; B) the crack prosecution team didn't make her sufficiently aware of this; and C) while Kobe feels the sex was consensual, he understands how the woman could think it was not.

WTF?

Michael Davis
09-02-2004, 05:10 AM
$$$

Duke
09-02-2004, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
C) while Kobe feels the sex was consensual, he understands how the woman could think it was not.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you want to sign a ridiculous statement or risk going to jail? I'm giving my autograph in a heartbeat.

~D

daryn
09-02-2004, 05:47 AM
very good post michael

Utah
09-02-2004, 08:05 AM
WTF was with Kobe's statement? Was he admitting to rape? Sounds like it to me. Think about what he said. Double WTF?

Was there some sort of agreement in place?

hutz
09-02-2004, 08:09 AM
The short version: Kobe is now an admitted rapist who is being allowed to take a free pass. He'll end up paying off the victim in order to avoid even more negative publicity from a civil trial. He'll eventually serve his real sentence in hell.

The longer version: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1872740

[ QUOTE ]
"Kobe was facing life in prison for a crime he did not commit," they [Kobe's slime dog lawyers] told Gray. "The accuser insisted on that statement as the price for his freedom. The statement doesn't change the facts: Kobe is innocent and now he is free."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is disgustingly arrogant at a minimum and appears to violate the basic terms of the sweetheart deal that was given to yet another criminal who walks because of his celebrity status. This is the oral equivalent of crossing one's fingers behind one's back when making a promise or swearing to something. I hope she takes him for as much as possible in her civil suit. I would find it more satisfying, though, if she were able to have his !$^%%$ smug attitude forever wiped away. What a worthless P.O.S.

BeerMoney
09-02-2004, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The short version: Kobe is now an admitted rapist who is being allowed to take a free pass. He'll end up paying off the victim in order to avoid even more negative publicity from a civil trial. He'll eventually serve his real sentence in hell.

The longer version: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1872740

[ QUOTE ]
"Kobe was facing life in prison for a crime he did not commit," they [Kobe's slime dog lawyers] told Gray. "The accuser insisted on that statement as the price for his freedom. The statement doesn't change the facts: Kobe is innocent and now he is free."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is disgustingly arrogant at a minimum and appears to violate the basic terms of the sweetheart deal that was given to yet another criminal who walks because of his celebrity status. This is the oral equivalent of crossing one's fingers behind one's back when making a promise or swearing to something. I hope she takes him for as much as possible in her civil suit. I would find it more satisfying, though, if she were able to have his !$^%%$ smug attitude forever wiped away. What a worthless P.O.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it another case of a celebrity walking free cause of his status? Please explain. Is it unfair that he had enough money to defend himself when others don't. Was it unfair that he had as many resources as the prosecution when most defendants have none?

This court case would have been one person's word against another's. In order to prosecute someone, you need evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. When two people get in a fight, they both usually say the other one started it, and no one ever really knows what happens. Now, throw in the fact that the primary witness has an incredibly sketchy past at only 19 years old, and guess what, its gonna be a hard case to prosecute.

Senor Choppy
09-02-2004, 11:01 AM
I'm no fan of Kobe as a human being, but what do you expect the guy to do? The victim offers to drop the case against him if he'll make a statement saying that she probably didn't view the act as consensual. He's not admitting to rape, he's making a statement about her state of mind, and in exchange guarantees his own freedom. He'd be a fool to turn this down.

hutz
09-02-2004, 12:24 PM
One of the primary reasons given for the dropping of the charges was the victim's unwillingness to continue because of the pressure associated with the trial. Do you honestly believe that there would have been a big media circus had the defendant not been a celebrity? Without the media circus, the victim's stress level likely would have been much lower and she likely would have been much more cooperative.

WEASEL45
09-02-2004, 12:41 PM
That was part of the agreement he had with the prosecution team. Here is a chat on espn with there legal expert about the case here (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=5834)

daryn
09-02-2004, 12:44 PM
let me guess, you are a lawyer.

BeerMoney
09-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Do you think the case would have been brought against him if he wasn't a celebrity? We don't know why this girl dropped the case. All we know is that she did drop it, and she is a sketchball. She didn't seem to mind the media attention when she filed the charges.

andyfox
09-02-2004, 12:48 PM
To prove rape, wouldn't the woman have to testify? Apparently, she had sex with another man before even changing her underpants. Does this sound like a woman who felt she was raped?

She goes through the process for fourteen months and then gives up? After she files a civil suit? It smells.

Don't get me wrong. I think Kobe is a POS. He may indeed have continued to do something when she said "no." But this is a serious business and this woman is s POS too.

andyfox
09-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Wouldn't/shouldn't the prosecution have explained this to her from the beginning? Did anyone think there wouldn't be a media circus, that Kobe wouldn't get the best lawyers his money could buy? And now, when it gets close, she decides she doesn't want to testify, but files a civil suit. How much money was wasted in Eagle County?

If what the reports say are true, namely that the woman had sex with another man after she had sex with Kobe and, indeed, was wearing the same underpants while she had the second encounter, how could they possibly convict Kobe? If you were raped, would you then have sex with another man before reporting the rape?

hutz
09-02-2004, 03:22 PM
I work at "I Can't Believe It's a Lawfirm" at the mall. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

hutz
09-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Charges wouldn't have been filed if it weren't Kobe who was accused? Puh-leeze. The girl didn't mind the media attention when she went to the police? Did she call a press conference to make the announcement? I don't recall that little bit of revisionist history. This is some funny stuff. Keep it coming. In reality, a battle was fought to keep her identity out of the media. Kobe's lawyers and a bungling court both ended up disclosing her identity to the public. I'm sure that went a long way towards making her feel less like testifying as the case dragged on.

hutz
09-02-2004, 03:40 PM
I'm replying to both of your messages above. To prove rape the victim's testimony, if not required by statute (I don't know Colorado law), would realistically be necessary for conviction (because the jury would be bloody unlikely to convict someone if the victim was still alive but failed to testify). Yes, what she did by quitting on the prosecution at the last minute was pretty lame. I'm not defending her actions. The allegations that she had sex with another guy after the rape, even if true, do not prove "sex" with Bryant was consensual. They also, if true, have at least one alternative explanation, which is that sexual trauma victims react in different ways. Some withdraw, some become suicidal, and some become blatantly promiscuous as a way of seeking physical comfort. I have no doubt the prosecution could have presented experts who could have testified to a medically rational explanation for any post-Kobe sex the victim might have had.

In addition to not defending the actions of the victim as the case progressed towards trial, I am not defending the bungling mess the small-town prosecutors made of their case. They were out-classed by Bryant's high-powered lawyers. It was up to them to talk with the victim to make sure she was ready to withstand all of the crushing media attention that would come from a celebrity trial. Whether they did that or not is something we may well never know. If they didn't do it, then they made a fundamental error. If they tried but it didn't stick, then they either were ineffective in their efforts, the girl just flaked for some unknown reason, or Kobe put a few million in her bank account (or some combination of those).

In summary, I continue to find it disgusting that Bryant is allowed to walk after issuing a half-hearted apology that his lawyers immediately contradicted by maintaining his innocence. I am also disappointed in the victim's lawyers and/or the prosecution for failing to prohibit such statements as part of the deal. That was either incompetence or they made the conscious decision to give up on that point as part of a payoff to the victim. Either way, it's disappointing.

Boris
09-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Let's be honest here. The bitch lied about the entire incident. Kobe was nice enough to let her save face with his little statement. I would be surprised if she is able to get more than $100k in a civil suit.

Duke
09-02-2004, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But this is a serious business and this woman is s POS too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Send her to Iran!

~D

Boris
09-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Dude yer racking up points in the Funniest Poster on 2+2 leaderboard.

slamdunkpro
09-02-2004, 08:33 PM
I think what everyone is dancing around is that the Eagle County prosecutor came to the (correct) conclusion that this woman would not be credible on the stand in a criminal case.

So she goes to civil court where she’ll have more latitude when and if she testifies.

BeerMoney
09-03-2004, 09:34 AM
So every time a celebrity gets found not guilty, its because they are a celebrity, not because the prosecution had a lack of evidence? Or maybe they are actually innocent.

Whatever, putz.

hutz
09-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Why don't you brush up on your reading comprehension skills and the take another look at my posts. I never said all celebrities who walk do so because they are famous. I said this situation is another example of such an event.

Resorting to name calling? Thanks for the de facto concession that your positions are substantively lacking.

daryn
09-03-2004, 01:20 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Thanks for the de facto concession that your positions are substantively lacking.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh snap!

seriously though, why do you feel that kobe is guilty? doesn't it make more sense that this girl is a golddigger? kobe is not stupid, i think he knows if he rapes a girl he's in for trouble.

BeerMoney
09-03-2004, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Resorting to name calling? Thanks for the de facto concession that your positions are substantively lacking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shut up you f*****g P**sy.

hutz
09-03-2004, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
seriously though, why do you feel that kobe is guilty? doesn't it make more sense that this girl is a golddigger?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said those things are mutually exclusive? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Toro
09-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Some of you seem to know a lot about this case so I'm hoping someone can answer this question that's been nagging me from the beginning. Why the hell didn't Kobe just pay her off right in the beginning before charges were filed?

Hindsight of course is 20/20, but we all know that is exactly what will occur now since neither side probably really wants a Civil Trial.

bwana devil
09-03-2004, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So every time a celebrity gets found not guilty, its because they are a celebrity, not because the prosecution had a lack of evidence? Or maybe they are actually innocent.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're using not guilty and innocent as if that was the verdict rendered. There was no verdict. Charges were dropped.

I always find it strange when people assume the alleged victims of celebrity are lying for monetary reasons. I guess it’s people’s perspectives in lives and how they view people. I personally would think human nature would have a person rape an individual in the privacy of a hotel room than for someone to face public scrutiny for money. But that’s my perspective.

Anyone who calls the woman a golddigger and asserts Kobe is innocent sounds like a fool in my opinion. There is no evidence a rape did not occur. Through out all the speculation and hearsay you want, but the trial didn’t occur so the new developments that finally made the woman to decide against continuing will not be brought to light.

And finally the court did a horrendous job in handling this case. Releasing her name and letting the defense run the court was an atrocity to the justice system.

bwana

tanda
09-03-2004, 04:39 PM
"One of the primary reasons given for the dropping of the charges was the victim's unwillingness to continue because of the pressure associated with the trial."

Yeah .. if you believe her. Or maybe she did not want to continue because she is a liar. I do not know and neither do you.

astroglide
09-03-2004, 07:35 PM
i find it hard to buy he'd do it. i'm sure he, like many nba athletes, have egos the size of texas but i don't buy rape. mike tyson, sure, they guy is nuts. kobe could bang virtually anyone and he's not an idiot.

andyfox
09-08-2004, 02:15 PM
http://sports.excite.com/news/09082004/v0845.html

Don't these people wash their underwear?

BeerMoney
09-08-2004, 03:57 PM
In testimony from a closed-door hearing accidentally released to some media outlets, a defense expert said that semen from another man was found on the alleged victim and in her underwear during her rape exam.
However, Easter presented another explanation. She said the woman returned home stunned after her encounter with Bryant and changed into a blue tank top and yellow underwear that she had pulled out of an overnight bag in her bedroom. She had worn the underwear after having sex on June 18, her birthday.

At the time, Easter said the woman didn't plan to report what had happened even though she had told her friend and bellman Bobby Pietrack and a former boyfriend what had happened that night. When she woke up the next morning, Easter said the woman realized she had to report what happened and called her mother.

"We really believed in her and we still do. I can't emphasize that enough," Easter said. "I think because we work in the system we really believe that is a way for victims to say what happened to them."

Its scary when the prosecution is coming up with sketchy alibies...