PDA

View Full Version : my return to action and folding A-Q

09-01-2002, 02:09 AM
I played 5 1/2 hours at the Commerce--one of my longer sessions. It went well, with a win of $1330 (should have been $2000), mainly because I

I decided to three-bet a lot more. Also, I did more stealing with hands like 10-8 and 10-9 offsuit.

I folded A-Q in the small blind after a three-bet by the button, and I folded A-Q on the button after an early position raise and two cold calls. In each case a queen flopped which would have been enough to win the pot. Was I too tight here?

09-01-2002, 03:26 AM
The second case: "I folded A-Q (offsuit? - I hope!) on the button after an early position raise and two cold-calls. Was I too tight here."

I don't think so. Cold-calling an early-position raise with A-Q offsuit is okay as long as the player is not a good one. But when you get two cold-callers, I think the likelihood of you being dominated by someone is quite high. As a minimum, at least one of your cards figures to be tied up in one of your opponents hands which makes it harder for you to improve.

The first case of folding for a button 3-bet from the small blind is probably right but it depends upon how loose the button is and whether or not he is simply trying to isolate the raiser. For example, suppose the cutoff opened with a raise and the button 3-bet? In this case, the button could have a wide range of hands and you may wish to call and take a flop. But on balance, folding is probably right.

09-01-2002, 06:03 AM
Mike -

Good to see you are back. Best of luck in your return.

As I'm hoping you see, (I certainly do), 3-betting is needed, a lot.

With your AQ hands. The button hand, I likely call because, well, you have the button, and the pot is growing quickly, and you have a decent hand.

For 3 bets in the SB, you have an easy fold (barring an unusual situation where the cutoff open raises and the button 3 bets, and they are both hyper aggressive, then you could call or cap).

Those are my two pennies. Weren't you headed to LV this weekend, though?

Josh

09-01-2002, 07:20 AM
damn josh, you ever get to bed at a regular time? =) how are things over at the other side of commerce? or do you still play 9/18? are you planning to plan the heavenly tourneys? nice seeing ya again

09-01-2002, 11:28 AM
Both hands were offsuit. In hand one the button had pocket tens, in hand two the EP raiser had jacks.

09-01-2002, 11:31 AM
With eleven (!) college games wagered on, plus I was in Cabazon at the outlet stores.

09-01-2002, 11:36 AM
"I folded A-Q on the button after an early position raise and two cold calls."

What a funny game we play. You would fold, Brier says folding is okay, but he would probably call in real life, and I would say that folding is insane, calling is okay, but in real life I'd reraise almost every time.

Tommy

09-01-2002, 11:39 AM
All I can say Mr. P was in the house.

09-01-2002, 05:53 PM
I would defineatly have folded the three-better but probably call the button position. You have position here and with the right flop can pull off some moves. AQ is a nice hand but slightly and your only real worries are AK and fat pocket pairs. I've folded it with double raises before. Here is a time when it's good to know your opponents and what they play/how they play. I've been in games where I observe MegaType opponents for hours. When they raise you know they're holding one of the big three and it's profitable to toss JJ or TT.

09-02-2002, 11:51 PM
Jerome -

Nah, I never get to bed at a regular time. Trying to figure out my schedule is tricky (especially when you throw in a 20 hour session every so often).

But that's not why I'm writing. Do I know you? Or were you saying "nice to see you again" in just a "nice to see you posting again" way? Cuz if you think I know you, you may be wrong. Or I'm wrong. Which is it? Just curious....

Josh

09-03-2002, 06:38 AM
you dont know me, but i know you (who cares). continue to post. good luck

09-03-2002, 06:59 AM
the above or below post was me.