PDA

View Full Version : a quiz on pocket pairs

09-01-2002, 01:45 AM
Playing 40-80 at the Commerce (sorry, I didn't make it to Las Vegas) there were some interesting pocket pair situations.

1. You have pocket sixes in the big blind. An fairly loose LP raises and you are the only caller. The flop is A-8-7 with two diamonds. You bet and are called. Turn is another seven. What is your next move?

2. You have pocket tens in the big blind. One in middle position limps, button raises and you call (3-bet?). Flop is 10-9-3 rainbow. You bet and both call. Turn is a jack. You bet and the button calls. River is an eight. Bet or check?

3. You have pocket black queens UTG. You raise, and UTG+1 reraises. The cutoff and the big blind call and you call. Flop is 8-3-2 with two clubs What is your play on the flop, the turn and the river? If you check and call on the flop, do you do the same on the turn?

Your comments appreciated.

09-01-2002, 06:08 PM
The first situation is by far the toughest in my opinion. You wonder what he's just calling you with on the flop bet. You could represent the 7 on the turn but he probably won't go anywhere. He may even be slowplaying a biggy. My opinion is to check and fold. The second one is easy. No you should not three bet pre-flop. when the flop comes just check to the pre-flop-raiser, he'll likely bet. Whether you want to check-raise here or on the turn is up to you. The checkraise on the flop will most likely get the middleman out which in my opinion you want him in. Your hand is boss at the moment and you need to get the chips in there. Once I checkraise I pound all the way....no worries. If you get straighted...so be it...they're not leaving anyway. I think you're good here a large percentage of the time. On number three hand, I would come right out betting. Be aggressive here. Perhaps the reraiser wants to isolate you. He may have an AKs or JJ or TT. You are most likely good here. You could perhaps go for a check-raise on the flop. Don't show passivity whatever you do. Take a strong stance. If an A or K comes then you can go into check and call mode.

09-01-2002, 08:07 PM
1. Check Raise the Turn. Your opponent either is drawing or has a hand better than yours. If you check raise you may knock him of a pair of eights or a weak Ace.

3. If the player is agressive you should check and call the river since your opponent may bet two pair or top pair. If you bet and get raised can you be sure you are beat vs. the money in the pot?

4. See "playing pocket pairs" in HPFAP.

Leroy Jones (dishing out the bad advice)

mikelow
09-02-2002, 11:07 AM
On the firsat hand, I bet and was raised. I mucked, certain that I was beat.

On hand two, I did the same thing on the river. I thinnk checking and calling was better.

On the third hand, I checked and called on the flop; it was still three handed. Turn was the 7s, and I checked and called again--still three in the pot. River was 3d and It was checked around. My queens wre good. Either I should have check-raised the turn or bet the river.<font color="black"> </font color> <font color="red"> </font color>