PDA

View Full Version : Showing reckless behavior

setter
09-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Curious as to what you think of this ...

PokerStars SNG Blinds at 15/30

I had doubled up to t3000 by having AA first hand and had a guy go all in against. Later another guy with only t30 left and he being BB I decide to raise big UTG with any two cards (i end up with Q6off) in order to look reckless for later on in which I plan on future tight play. Hopefully to entice a couple of calls in the future. Folded around and he is all in and I have to show my "weak" hand which ends up catching trip Q's and finishes him off

What do you think of this play to get a table image contrary to what you are going to play in the future?

ThingDo
09-01-2004, 10:35 PM
I like it! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I usually hate those "this reminds me of..." posts but whatever, in an SnG about 3 months back I raised w/ 76h and called a players all-in with odds. Afterwards I got action on all of my big hands and won the tourney because of that play exactly. However, use caution... most players don't pay attention at all and you could find yourself out of position with an awful hand and a lot of moeny in the pot. I know this is obvious, just thought I'd offer it up. Nice hand.

ilya
09-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Hmm, I don't think I like this play. A false image is useful, but "loose and reckless" is probably not the one you want in an SnG...you're probably gonna have to do a good bit of stealing later on, and you don't want people calling your A6 all-ins with A8.
If, however, you belive that you'll have enough time to change your image again during this tournament, then I think the play is ok. But I think something that crazy is gonna stick in people's heads & you're not gonna be able to convince them you're tight when you need them to believe that. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

p.s. And what if you get called/raised? Are you gonna give away even more chips just to establish your image?

setter
09-01-2004, 11:15 PM
I generally use a tight aggressive style for the first three levels or so but I want action when I decide to enter a pot. Remember I had a big chip lead from the first hand and I wanted to entice calls for the future and I will be more aggressive when we have less people. I don't think I am putting a lot of my stack at risk and if someone calls me then i see a flop, and then case I hit QQ2 flop to give me trips. Because of the all in my cards and my raise would have been shown and since I was going to play a tight strategy for the immediate future I was hoping to set a flase image that may gain me additional bets/callers for the next 2 or 3 levels. At180 bet is what I made into a 15/30 blind level. This is a way to show bluff without having someone who could hurt me call it.

ilya
09-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Well, like I said...if you think you'll be able to flip your image later on, go ahead. But I think you'll have a hard time after such a conspicuously crazy stunt.

p.s. what buy-in is this? if it's a $15 or so, i think you'll get your callers anyway. at the early levels, i'd be more worried about getting too many, not too few, callers.

woodguy
09-01-2004, 11:33 PM
I agree with Ilya.

In a SnG I want a very tight image so I can start stealing when the BB gets to 100 without the whole table wanting a piece of me.

SnG's are too short to cash in on a "reckless" image, even if you have the chip lead.

Your play with the Qx early in an MTT would have more merit, but I really don't want anyone calling my steals down in a SnG, which is one of the biggest keys to getting a good ITM rate. (IMHO)

regards,
woodguy

MEbenhoe
09-02-2004, 03:05 AM
I don't like this play at all. You're raising big UTG with Q6o and only thinking about the guy in the BB whos blinded all in. What about the rest of the table? Do you realize that if there are 6 other hands out there is an almost 20% chance that one of your opponents will have AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AKs, or AKo, and there are players who will call/reraise you with hands other than just these. You're the chip leader right now. Why blow it on a dumb hand like Q6o where you're only going to gain 30 chips at most and the image you get from this play may not even be very beneficial.

chill888
09-02-2004, 03:38 AM
Personally, having a tight agressive reputation is priceless in S&Gs. Loose image is far less useful.

For example, I rarely steal blinds early in tourney as I want to train the guy that I only play good hands - invaluable 15 minutes later when blinds are higher.

That being said if the card you are dealt make you look wild - say you get 3 big hands in a row (but never show them) - and raise a lot - you can use this image to play future big hands fast.

Flop trips and bet out and guy thinks you are being crazy again.

But generally being seen as a rock is worth the gold.

rybones
09-02-2004, 10:23 AM
I don't think I mind the isolation play if I am in LP. However, many of the comments posted above lead me to question the isolation play even from LP. any thoughts?

ryan