PDA

View Full Version : Brunson bust-out hand

krabby5
09-01-2004, 07:21 PM
I swear I read in Cardplayer that during that hand, Brunson announced "all-in", but the guy that ended up busting him didn't hear him and attempted to re-raise..He was told that he now has to call Doyle's all-in with A-4...

I didn't see that on ESPN, though

Stew
09-01-2004, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I swear I read in Cardplayer that during that hand, Brunson announced "all-in", but the guy that ended up busting him didn't hear him and attempted to re-raise..He was told that he now has to call Doyle's all-in with A-4...

I didn't see that on ESPN, though

[/ QUOTE ]

That's shitty ESPN editing. Michael O'Malley confirmed on RGP that the hand occured the way it was initially reported, with Doyle annoucing ALL-IN, but not pushing his chips in. Berman, who didn't hear Doyle's statement announced "RAISE", without realizing Doyle was all in. Once he realized Doyle was all in, he wanted to fold, the floor was called and ruled that Berman had to make at least the minimum raise possible (double what Doyle pushed in).

jwvdcw
09-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Why would ESPN not show this? Very annoying....to me thats poor journalism. Its their responsibility to show us the truth imo. Doyle's opponent looked like a moron calling a legend like Doyle's all in with A-x, but obviously that was not the case.

z32fanatic
09-01-2004, 09:17 PM
To me it looked like he was going to try to knock out Doyle no matter what it cost. We saw him play two marginal hands against Doyle both times when he was all in. I think that guy just wanted to say he knocked out Doyle.

bones
09-01-2004, 10:08 PM
"That guy" wasn't just some random internet qualifier. Being Lyle Berman's son, my guess is that he's sat with Doyle on many occasions where the buy-in was a great deal more than 10k. I doubt he was doing it for the "thrill" of KO'ing Doyle.

Doubling12
09-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Berman also busted a friend of mine on Day 1, when he called an allin with JJ and a AQ4 board (friend had AQ for top 2). River J got him rollin...

sammy_g
09-08-2004, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Berman, who didn't hear Doyle's statement announced "RAISE", without realizing Doyle was all in. Once he realized Doyle was all in, he wanted to fold, the floor was called and ruled that Berman had to make at least the minimum raise possible (double what Doyle pushed in).

[/ QUOTE ]
Bob Ciaffone wrote a recent article (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/?a_id=14236) about this sort of situation. I believe Berman should have been allowed to fold if he really didn't hear Doyle.

lolita16
09-08-2004, 06:45 PM
This one is a bit of a dicey call, but I believe the floor made the right decision. The one that should have been smacked in this hand is the dealer. If the dealer had clearly stated: "Raise, seat 2 (or whichever one Doyle was in) all in", the incident would not have occurred.

Once Berman's verbal declaration was heard, the raise has to stand as per the rules.