PDA

View Full Version : Fossil is one aggro dude!

gergery
09-01-2004, 03:55 PM
I’m aware of the magic of TV editing, but Fossilman came across as pretty damn aggressive in the show last night. Murphy’s reraise with just a gutshot was also pretty ballsy. Fossilman always comes across as measured, logical, analytic in his posts. Interesting to see the aggro side.

SossMan
09-01-2004, 04:07 PM
I don't think measured, thoughtful, and analytic are mutually exclusive with aggression when one has a big stack.

eMarkM
09-01-2004, 04:12 PM
FWIW, Murphy had a flush draw too. But, yeah, I was surprised by those big all-in over bets he made. Should be interesting to see what else he does in final few shows.

DimensionPresident
09-01-2004, 04:47 PM
I am not sure if it was editing, but it seemed Murphy called his all-in literally a half-second after Fossil bet his $200k. I think it was because of how quick he made the move was the reason why Fossil folded.

Quick all-ins can sometimes be viewed as a bluff, sure, but after a raise and re-raise, it came off almost like Murphy was waiting for Fossil to make a big bet just so he could go all-in.

It was like "I don't care if you fold or not, I already have your $200k + and I have the best hand, so I'm all-in."

If I was in Fossil's position, I would have folded too. Now if Murphy took a minute or two and pained over the decision, I would have better reason to think he was bluffing.

curtains
09-01-2004, 05:20 PM
He had ten high!!! He cant call no matter what happens!

Tyler Durden
09-01-2004, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to it, I was just about to post this. No matter how quickly/slowly Murph makes that all-in reraise, Greg ain't callin.

daryn
09-01-2004, 05:33 PM
the old bluff call... hahaha

gergery
09-01-2004, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to it, I was just about to post this. No matter how quickly/slowly Murph makes that all-in reraise, Greg ain't callin.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but what’s funny is that Fossilman had the best hand and would have won with T high if he had called.

DimensionPresident
09-03-2004, 01:30 AM
I didn't word that properly.

I guess my only point is that Murphy made that play very convincing. Even if I DID have a hand at that point, I probably would have folded.

Shaun
09-03-2004, 08:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure if it was editing, but it seemed Murphy called his all-in literally a half-second after Fossil bet his $200k. I think it was because of how quick he made the move was the reason why Fossil folded.

Quick all-ins can sometimes be viewed as a bluff, sure, but after a raise and re-raise, it came off almost like Murphy was waiting for Fossil to make a big bet just so he could go all-in.

It was like "I don't care if you fold or not, I already have your $200k + and I have the best hand, so I'm all-in."

If I was in Fossil's position, I would have folded too. Now if Murphy took a minute or two and pained over the decision, I would have better reason to think he was bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you figured he was bluffing, you can't call with ten high- he might have jack high...

ohgeetee
09-03-2004, 09:07 AM
JACK HIGH?!?!

I AIN'T NEVER CALLED WITH JACK HIGH IN MY WHOLE LIFE!

JACK HIGH? THIS DUDE JUST CALLED WITH JACK HIGH!

I'M GOIN' OUTSIDE.

lolita16
09-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Greg discussed this play in an earlier post. He sensed with John's bet that the really didn't want a call, so he raised. His take was that John clearly sensed the same weakness from his raise, so he reraised. John was able to get in the last word (raise) so he took the pot.

Often seeing two good players make a play like this they look like maniacs. However if those plays are based on reads on their opponents, they are actually not maniacal but just really good plays. I think in the play mentioned, if Greg had had a bit stronger hand, he would have called and taken a significant portion of the youngster's stack. Murphy was lucky that he was facing a pure steal.

Toro
09-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Go to the archives and you'll find a hand where FossilMan called someones bluff in a Foxwoods Tourney with Jack high!!

The4thFilm
09-03-2004, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Go to the archives and you'll find a hand where FossilMan called someones bluff in a Foxwoods Tourney with Jack high!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope it wasn't Ellix Powers.