PDA

View Full Version : Poker as a Part-Time Job - Your advise & thoughts!

Chaz
09-01-2004, 02:55 PM
I've been a fairly serious low-limit hold'em player (predominately Foxwoods $2-$4 and $4-$8) for about two years and I recently started playing for real money on PokerStars and have seen some mild success.

Now, I see a lot of promise in possibly bringing in an extra coupel hundred a week playing poker. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who does this with a structured system.

I'm a little hesitant to just throw money on the internet and gamble with it regularly without any kind of organization.

Here's what I've been doing: I've been depositing $50 on Pokerstars and then I play for a couple hours (usually at $2-4 or $3-6 limits) until I double up. I then deposit my $50 profit back into my account and call it a day.

I've been doing this the last week or so and it's been pretty much a nice side job for extra cash. I hope to make my $700 rent this month strictly by playing low-limit poker (wouldn't that be nice?)

Does anyone else have an organized method of playing poker as a part time job?

bdk3clash
09-01-2004, 03:14 PM
You should probably set aside a dedicated bankroll for online play. Downswings happen--that's what a bankroll is for. What games and limits are you playing?

EDIT: Duh, you wrote that you're playing $2-4 and $3-6 on PokerStars.

bdk3clash
09-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Wait, let me get this straight--you put $50 in your account, play $2-4 and $3-6, and you haven't lost the initial $50 yet?

bdk3clash
09-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Also, I would like to point out that I am insanely jealous of what you pay for rent.

bisonbison
09-01-2004, 03:24 PM
If you've been sitting at 2/4 and 3/6 with $50 buy-ins, you've got to stop doing that.

At 2/4, it's barely above the minimum of 12 BB you should have in front of you at all times. If you post the blinds, you're suddenly below the minimum. And for 3/6? 8BB is not enough.

balkii
09-01-2004, 03:28 PM
hey buddy, the others have good advice. but - you hope to make 700 rent with poker money? not a good idea. make your rent money at your job, and if you happen to have some extra poker income, use that as your disposable money. But really, you shouldn't do any of that. Take that 50 bucks, play some .25/.50 at stars and build that up to like 150,then move up to .50/1. 50 bucks are you kidding me i drop 50 BIG BETS as a matter of routine at 3/6.

bdk3clash
09-01-2004, 03:41 PM
On second thought, I like your plan as long as you plan on never losing. You should probably play higher limits, though.

SpiderMnkE
09-01-2004, 04:05 PM
One day you will look back at this post and wish you never made it.

Hopefully when that day comes, someone will remember it and bump it up front.

Sponger15SB
09-01-2004, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On second thought, I like your plan as long as you plan on never losing. You should probably play higher limits, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that is my goal from now on. Never lose playing poker, its so simple, yet I've never really thought about trying that until now.

Sponger15SB
09-01-2004, 04:47 PM
This is a terrible idea, please get some help.

ipp147
09-01-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little hesitant to just throw money on the internet and gamble with it regularly without any kind of organization.

Here's what I've been doing: I've been depositing $50 on Pokerstars and then I play for a couple hours (usually at $2-4 or $3-6 limits) until I double up. I then deposit my $50 profit back into my account and call it a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to the doubters chaz. You say you want to be organised, and you are.

I have a suggestion though, your playing 2/4 and 3/6 and doubling your $50. Have you thought about moving up, I think you probably have enough hands to be sure you are a winning player (I think BisonBison says 100 is enough).

Try stepping up to 10/20 6max. I think you might turn that 50 bucks into 150,

On a serious note, this is a joke right?

TheBong
09-01-2004, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been a fairly serious low-limit hold'em player (predominately Foxwoods $2-$4 and $4-$8) for about two years and I recently started playing for real money on PokerStars and have seen some mild success.

Now, I see a lot of promise in possibly bringing in an extra coupel hundred a week playing poker. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who does this with a structured system.

I've been doing this the last week or so and it's been pretty much a nice side job for extra cash. I hope to make my $700 rent this month strictly by playing low-limit poker (wouldn't that be nice?)

Does anyone else have an organized method of playing poker as a part time job?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it difficult to believe that you've accomplished this "Take $50, sit 3/6, play two hours and double" with any regularity. If you've never had a 8BB buyin downswing in your career - it's time to think about taking out a second mortgage on the house, selling the car, and putting EVERY DOLLAR YOU HAVE into poker.

I'm just kidding, and I seriously hope you are too.

theghost
09-02-2004, 11:31 AM
You need to have 12 BB in front of you at all times to cap every street if necessary (what if you get 5 aces??)

Ideally you should have a bankroll of 300 BB to survive swings without getting too close to busting out (once you bust out, you can't swing back up). You could probably get away with less, but even a 100 BB downswing is wholly possible - even probable in the long run.

Spend a month building a bankroll, hang on to it, and pay next month's rent with the winnings you make from it.

Good luck.