PDA

View Full Version : Home game SNG strategy?

Marcotte
09-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Well, I played in a home game, 8 person SNG the other night. It was quite different from what I’m used to online. I’m going to be attending another tournament (this time 3-table, 21 people) in a couple weeks which should have a lot of the same people (and styles). I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to beat this game.

The biggest difference is the blind structure. We each started with 100 chips with blinds at 1-2. Instead of increasing on a time schedule, they increased whenever someone got knocked out (2-4, 3-6, 5-10, 10-20). If two got knocked out on the same hand, the blind still only increased one level.

The other major difference is the LAGiness of the players. I was getting short-stacked, so I pushed all in with A9 and got called by T3 (this was 4-handed). Other players were making big bets and all-ins with next to nothing (45os, Q3os, etc.). In the early rounds, most pots were raised to at least 10-15, and sometimes as much as 30 or 50 (with a BB of 2 or 4!!).

So is the best strategy to play super tight and hope someone pays you off when you make a hand? I did notice that some of the players could be bluffed out of the pot on the flop if they didn’t have a hand. (My buddy went all in on the flop in one hand and everyone folded to a guy who thought for about 2 minutes then folded. My friend told me afterwards that all he had was an OESD.) Should I try to see some flops with marginal hand (suited one gap-ers, high unsuited connectors) in late position if I think I can get in cheap? With the 3-table, 21 person set-up I will have to be a little looser than normal just because of the 7 person table, but how loose is too loose?

(Btw, I’m not sure of the payout structure, but I think it is top two, with 2nd only getting one or two buyins, so basically winner take all).