PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to do with ATo

mackthefork
09-01-2004, 01:10 PM
Just playing now on a pretty passive table, 6 and 7 handed what do you guys all do with ATo UTG, I've been folding it for a while but it feels wrong somehow. What do you think.

Regards Mack

PrayingMantis
09-01-2004, 01:38 PM
It depends, of course, on the stacks and precise texture of the game, but generally, ATo UTG is very close to garbage, in a 7-handed game. Of course, if you are VERY low, and the blinds are about to eat you, it's an auto push. As a big/huge stack you can raise with it to bully others around, but it's a marginal move, IMO. Your position is awful for such a dominated hand. If you are medium stack, it's a clear fold, IMO.

mackthefork
09-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Thanks just wanted to know i wasn't a million miles away from the correct course of action.

Regards Mack

durron597
09-01-2004, 02:37 PM
I don't think it's a clear fold on a passive table. I think it's worth a limp if you feel you can outplay the table (especially the BB), but not worth playing if you expect a raise behind you.

Nick B.
09-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Raise, fold if reraised (unless by a small stack). Check call if an ace flops on a non scary board. Bet most flops that likely didn't help opponent, but don't be scared to release the hand if opponent shows aggresion.

Travis
09-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Unless the game is short handed its an auto fold for me UTG. Maybe this is just a restatement of your question but my problem with it is I don't know what I want to flop with it. If I raise with it, get called and an A flops, what do I do then? It looses to any other playable A. If I was on a blind steal (and I generally don't steal UTG) or making some other play at the pot, I could have just as well stolen with some other hand where I have a better idea where I stand on the flop. I can't show it down (if an A falls on the flop) if i get any serious playback so I might as well be on total bluff. If I limp with it and then get raised preflop, what do I do then? A large portion of the standard raising hands have me dominated.

durron597
09-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Ew, I hate this line. You don't want to play such a vulnerable hand in a big pot, you want to keep the pot small so you can get away from it.

Nick B.
09-01-2004, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ew, I hate this line. You don't want to play such a vulnerable hand in a big pot, you want to keep the pot small so you can get away from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a great line. You are playing too tight if you think about folding this utg. And calling with ATo utg, wow, that is not good at all. Check calling with an ace on the flop usually kills the action unless you are beat, but usually the opponents will not bet enough to make you fold, and if they do decide they want to push in, the sometimes you can fold it.

Eder
09-01-2004, 04:03 PM
I used to muck this one, but on passive tables I have been limping it in EP with mixed results...trick is to get out of the hand before it costs too much...I rather muck this than bluff from EP with it late in SnG if more than 4 players left unless I'm short...jmo

Indiana
09-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Interesting question,

I have done a calculation that shows that against 9 players, the probability of someone having an A with a better kicker than 10, given that you have A10, is only 33%....So against 7 guys it would be in the 20s....By this rational, it isn't complete garbage....If you are desperate,you can push, but if you aren't maybe u can pop it for a small raise and pop the flop...You probably would back down with too much aggression...

Indiana

mscott2374
09-01-2004, 04:38 PM
I muck this UTG. The problem with playing this have is that you will have very poor position for the remainder of the hand IMO

Navers
09-01-2004, 04:40 PM
why is it better to raise than limp with ATo?

Nick B.
09-01-2004, 06:15 PM
I guess it really depends what the buy in for the tournaments are and the level. I would guess that 7 people left would probably be around level 3 (50-100). I play the $200 sngs at party so my main interest is collecting chips. There really isn't that much post flop play so I don't think position matters that much. Here are a couple hands of ATo UTG.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed)

Hero (t955)
UTG+1 (t995)
MP1 (t885)
MP2 (t1180)
MP3 (t1980)
CO (t885)
Button (t1185)
SB (t955)
BB (t980)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls t45, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t115) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (t115) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (t115) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: t115
<font color="green">Main Pot: t115 (t115), between Hero and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO (t115).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows As Td (one pair, eights).
CO shows Ad Qd (one pair, eights).
Outcome: CO wins t115. </font>

Hero (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1000)
MP1 (t1105)
MP2 (t2055)
MP3 (t860)
CO (t985)
Button (t925)
SB (t965)
BB (t1105)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t45, CO folds, Button calls t45, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t160) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, MP3 folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: t285
<font color="green">Main Pot: t160 (t160), won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t125 (t125), returned to Hero.</font>

No showdown. Hero wins t285. </font>

My favorite ATo, although not utg, i just feel like bragging a little.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed)

Hero (t1450)
UTG (t160)
UTG+1 (t900)
MP1 (t780)
MP2 (t3230)
CO (t990)
Button (t1495)
SB (t995)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls t30, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t90) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets t85</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, Button calls t165.

Turn: (t590) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (t590) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t1170 (All-In)</font>, Button calls t1170.

Final Pot: t2930
<font color="green">Main Pot: t2930 (t2930), between Hero and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t2930).</font>

Hero shows Ac Td (straight, ace high).
Button shows Th Qc (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins t2930. </font>

The middle rounds are good for collecting chips. If you are folding AT utg then I think you are playing too tight to give yourself legitimate shots at making the money and having very good chances of winning.

PrayingMantis
09-01-2004, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There really isn't that much post flop play so I don't think position matters that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, how can you say that? Early stages of an SNG, it's all about post-flop play. The hands you post are nice (only two are from UTG), but they don't prove much, IMO. I must say, though, that as you climb up the buy-in's, raises from UTG get much more respect. In low buy-ins, raising with ATo from UTG will achieve very little, and can very well be -EV in many cases.

Nick B.
09-01-2004, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, how can you say that? Early stages of an SNG, it's all about post-flop play. The hands you post are nice (only two are from UTG), but they don't prove much, IMO. I must say, though, that as you climb up the buy-in's, raises from UTG get much more respect. In low buy-ins, raising with ATo from UTG will achieve very little, and can very well be -EV in many cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did mention that I was talking about $200 buy in SNG's at level 3.

Since 8/31 $200 buy in

Level 1

Button (t1945)
SB (t2425)
BB (t850)
Hero (t590)
UTG+1 (t985)
MP1 (t1000)
MP2 (t895)
MP3 (t235)
CO (t1075)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t425</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t495
<font color="green">Main Pot: t115 (t115), won by CO.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t380 (t380), returned to CO.</font>

No showdown. CO wins t495. </font>

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (8 handed)

MP1 (t2590)
MP2 (t630)
CO (t985)
Button (t850)
SB (t985)
BB (t2125)
Hero (t910)
UTG+1 (t925)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, UTG+1 calls t45, MP1 calls t45, MP2 calls t45, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t205) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t175</font>, UTG+1 calls t175, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

Turn: (t555) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

River: (t555) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: t555
<font color="green">Main Pot: t555 (t555), between Hero and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t555).</font>

Hero shows Ts Ac (two pair, tens and nines).
UTG+1 shows 8s 8c (two pair, nines and eights).
Outcome: Hero wins t555. </font>

one blind steal

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (8 handed)

Hero (t885)
MP2 (t975)
CO (t910)
Button (t1020)
SB (t2995)
BB (t1135)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1080)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of t15.
BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, MP2 calls t45, CO folds, Button folds, SB (poster) folds.

Flop: (t105) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t90</font>, MP2 calls t90.

Turn: (t285) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

River: (t285) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: t285
<font color="green">Main Pot: t285 (t285), between Hero and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t285).</font>

Hero shows Td Ac (one pair, eights).
MP2 shows 9h Th (one pair, eights).
Outcome: Hero wins t285. </font>

blind steal

Level 2

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed)

Hero (t905)
UTG+1 (t1165)
MP1 (t1735)
MP2 (t940)
CO (t670)
Button (t1055)
SB (t1970)
BB (t1560)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t250</font>, BB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t370
<font color="green">Main Pot: t210 (t210), won by SB.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t160 (t160), returned to SB.</font>

No showdown. SB wins t370. </font>

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed)

BB (t635)
Hero (t1080)
UTG+1 (t910)
MP1 (t795)
MP2 (t1280)
MP3 (t925)
CO (t1020)
Button (t2395)
SB (t960)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t90, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t225) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t175</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: t400
<font color="green">Main Pot: t225 (t225), won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t175 (t175), returned to Hero.</font>

No showdown. Hero wins t400. </font>

blind steal

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed)

MP1 (t1255)
MP2 (t1475)
CO (t2040)
Button (t925)
SB (t945)
BB (t1275)
Hero (t2085)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t90, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t225) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t225</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: t450
<font color="green">Main Pot: t225 (t225), won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t225 (t225), returned to Hero.</font>

No showdown. Hero wins t450. </font>

Level 3

blind steal

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed)

BB (t2195)
Hero (t840)
UTG+1 (t835)
MP1 (t885)
MP2 (t1990)
MP3 (t1470)
CO (t895)
Button (t335)
SB (t555)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t150, MP3 calls t150, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t525) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: (t525) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets t50</font>, MP3 calls t50, Hero folds.

River: (t625) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets t50</font>, MP3 calls t50.

Final Pot: t725
<font color="green">Main Pot: t725 (t725), between MP2 and MP3.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP2 (t725).</font>

MP2 shows Jd Ad (one pair, jacks).
MP3 shows Kh Ah (high card, ace).
Outcome: MP2 wins t725. </font>

blind steal

Those are just the last two days.

PrayingMantis
09-02-2004, 04:57 AM
I woudn't like to get into an argument here, but the fact is that you've stated that post-flop does not matter (that's why position doesn't matter, according to your logic), and then you post a series of hands that are almost all about post-flop play.

I won't get into detail about the specific hands, only a few points:

1. Again, the difference in buy-ins is critical for this kind of hand and position. In lower buy-ins, you can't play it the way you do in higher. The original poster is playing lower buy-ins, as far as I know, and my original answer was about lower buy-ins.

2. When you know what you're doing post-flop, you can pretty much raise with any hand PF. However, ATo is one of the worst hands to get into the pot with from EP, especially when you get callers PF and an A flops. The hands you posted were all pretty much easy to play. They don't prove much. The one time you'll be facing a higher ace, that won't raise you PF, or raise you small enough to let you still in, could very easily turn your earnings from a series of hands with ATo, into losing. It is DEFINITELY not a hand to win big pots with, but to win small, or lose big. It depends of course on your abiliy of playing, and your read of others.

3. I'm not saying your play is bad or anything, not at all. Only that saying that raising with ATo from UTG, at full or close to full table, should be a standard play (regardless of many factors) looks problematic to me. And posting a few hands from your last 2 days of play is usually not a good way to judge the profitability of a move, IMO. During the lasy 2 days I've lost all my stack 3 times with AA and 2 with KK. These hands are HUGE losers, as for the last two days. So? What conclusions can you draw from this? Not to play them anymore?

mackthefork
09-02-2004, 05:12 AM
I should either fold, raise or call, hmmm i think i liked this thread better with just praying mantis reply on it /images/graemlins/grin.gif. I think I'll stick with my present strategy of folding it.

Thanks for all your responses, I never thought there would be so much division of opinion on this one.

Regards Mack

Nick B.
09-02-2004, 07:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I woudn't like to get into an argument here, but the fact is that you've stated that post-flop does not matter (that's why position doesn't matter, according to your logic), and then you post a series of hands that are almost all about post-flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There really isn't that much post flop play so I don't think position matters that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't that much post flop play. Most of the time it goes bet-fold. Rarely will anybody call and hope that you don't bet a weak ace again, and if they do, the don't ever bet to take the pot. Which really reduces their positional advantage. I guess I don't really think of it as that hard of a hand to play post flop, but I don't play the low buyin tournaments.

[ QUOTE ]
Only that saying that raising with ATo from UTG, at full or close to full table, should be a standard play (regardless of many factors) looks problematic to me. And posting a few hands from your last 2 days of play is usually not a good way to judge the profitability of a move, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original poster did state in 6 or 7 handed games. The last two days consists of 71 tournaments. Which is more than average. ATo is a +BB hand for me all time in levels 1-3 equal to 3 or more off the button and not a blind.

mackthefork
09-02-2004, 07:23 AM
The position was 2 table down to 13 left and blinds 50/100 stack 2000 approx around average. You will get called by any ace and you cannot check unless you are willing to call an overbet of the pot (by a probably/possible worse hand), which i am not, it just doesn't seem worth it. Low buy ins sngs there is much more play after the flop, and people will bet/call with even middle or bottom pair, its worth avoiding vulnerable hand entirely, except in choice situations imo.

Regards Mack

PrayingMantis
09-02-2004, 08:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There isn't that much post flop play. Most of the time it goes bet-fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

We clearly don't agree about the definition of "post-flop play". When you are in a pot against, say, 3 players, when it was raised PF by yourself, it makes a great difference whether you are acting 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th on the flop and later. Acting last gives you a much greater chance to win the pot if no one had shown any willing to bet, and you have MUCH more information than otherwise. It's basic. That's why ATo from the button is MUCH stronger than ATo from UTG, whether you are first to act PF (folded to you), or you simply limp behind callers PF. The ability to make a position-bet is very important. I really can not understand how you can dismiss like that the importance of position. It is critical for such vulnerable hands, and what's more: it's the ABC of the game.

[ QUOTE ]
The last two days consists of 71 tournaments. Which is more than average.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what you mean here. Reread my last reply about losing with AA and KK during the last 2 days. 71 tournaments is a very small sample in regard to specific hands in specific positions and in specific stages of the game.

And what do you mean by "more than avarage"? This is very unclear. Avarage of what?

[ QUOTE ]
ATo is a +BB hand for me all time in levels 1-3 equal to 3 or more off the button and not a blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I truely don't quite understand what you are trying to say here. What do you mean by "+BB"? If you mean that raising with ATo from UTG in early stages of SNGs has been proven to be +EV for you in the *long run*, well, that's great, and you should surely keep playing it that way.

Nick B.
09-02-2004, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We clearly don't agree about the definition of "post-flop play". When you are in a pot against, say, 3 players, when it was raised PF by yourself, it makes a great difference whether you are acting 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th on the flop and later. Acting last gives you a much greater chance to win the pot if no one had shown any willing to bet, and you have MUCH more information than otherwise. It's basic. That's why ATo from the button is MUCH stronger than ATo from UTG, whether you are first to act PF (folded to you), or you simply limp behind callers PF. The ability to make a position-bet is very important. I really can not understand how you can dismiss like that the importance of position. It is critical for such vulnerable hands, and what's more: it's the ABC of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is so hard about ATo against 4 opponents? If you miss you fold. And possibly check call if an ace flops against multiple opponents.
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see what you mean here. Reread my last reply about losing with AA and KK during the last 2 days. 71 tournaments is a very small sample in regard to specific hands in specific positions and in specific stages of the game.

And what do you mean by "more than avarage"? This is very unclear. Avarage of what?

[/ QUOTE ]

More than an average number of tournaments. I gave the limit of my tournaments when I first posted to let the reader know what I was playing at. Obviously in the bigger tournaments, you can't just double up once and then fold into the money like the smaller tournaments, you need to steal more blinds.

Raising ATo in early rounds has been positive for me in the long run, and I will keep playing that way. My post was meant to show what I play ATo like in the higher limits.

lastchance
09-02-2004, 12:34 PM
The problem is when you get called on the flop and then bet at on the turn, especially with draws on the board. Do you call here most of the time, or are you beat? Or do you simply not get played back at?

Nick B.
09-02-2004, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem is when you get called on the flop and then bet at on the turn, especially with draws on the board. Do you call here most of the time, or are you beat? Or do you simply not get played back at?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the opponent calls on the flop I almost always give up. I will also check the turn if it is an ace. I will check the turn a lot of the time even with a good hands so it mixes up well. If an ace does turn, the opponent might try and bluff the turn, but rarely ever bluffs the river as well.

PrayingMantis
09-02-2004, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is so hard about ATo against 4 opponents?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you didn't read what I wrote. I've never said playing ATo against 3 (not 4, in my example) is hard. I was refering to the fact that position is critiacl, and can very well turn ATo from -EV into +EV. That was my point, and it was in regard to you saying position does not matter since there is no post-flop play. I find it absurd.

[ QUOTE ]
If you miss you fold. And possibly check call if an ace flops against multiple opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you seem to miss the point I'm refering to. With position you can take down pots, much more often, even when you "miss". However, the fact is that even if you "hit" your flop with ATo (Pairing your ace that is, or hitting a T high flop) you are in a bit of a difficult situation, more so if there are 2-3 players to act behind you. Again, I think this is fairly simple.

To conclude, if you play post-flop very well, especially in higher buy-ins, ATo could be somewhat +EV for you, not more. In lower buy-ins it is definitely -EV against many opponent, IMO, and over-all it is pretty much a marginal hand from UTG.

Lori
09-02-2004, 01:13 PM
If you miss you fold

What do you class a miss?

Only KQJ and ATx are hits.

Lori

Nick B.
09-02-2004, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you class a miss?

Only KQJ and ATx are hits.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I only classify KQJ three suited a hit and ATx is hard because somebody could have a set or a straight draw.

chill888
09-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Mack don't let this thread mislead you. A 10 against many when UTG is not a good hand. If you raise and get any action you hate it. If you don't get any action you stole blinds - woopeee!

If you limp, hardly any flop is any good.

Stay away unless - as posted - it is late game and getting desperate.

GL

lastchance
09-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Hey, 4-5 handed, ATo UTG is a pretty good hand to steal blinds with. You don't exactly have to getting desperate, taking the blinds just has to be worth enough of your stack or the other guys stack.

Nick B.
09-02-2004, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, 4-5 handed, ATo UTG is a pretty good hand to steal blinds with. You don't exactly have to getting desperate, taking the blinds just has to be worth enough of your stack or the other guys stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't, it is better just to get blinded down and hope for AA or KK.

PrayingMantis
09-02-2004, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read the specific post you are replying to, and the other posts here? No body was speaking about bubble situations. Of course ATo is strong short-handed.

Nick B.
09-02-2004, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you read the specific post you are replying to, and the other posts here? No body was speaking about bubble situations. Of course ATo is strong short-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the original post was asking about 6 or 7 handed.

PrayingMantis
09-02-2004, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well the original post was asking about 6 or 7 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the hands you've posted here you raised with ATo from UTG when there were 9 players in the game. These were *your* examples. So it's clear you were not reading this question as related specifically to short-handed.

Anyway, Generally, 6-7 players is not typically short-handed in an SNG. It makes more sense to judge it in terms of full table (8-9 players) than of bubble-situations. I believe this is pretty obvious, and that's actually what you did yourself, so I don't see your point.