PDA

View Full Version : matusow's call - horrible, right?

schwza
09-01-2004, 12:05 PM
blinds 1.5k/3k.

matusow opens from LP for 12k with 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. raymer reraises from SB to 36k with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Others fold.

pot = 75k (were there antes?)

fold T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifx. raymer goes all in for ~230k, or about 3 times the pot. matusow calls for about 2/3 of his chips.

what the @#%#$ is he thinking?

Ghazban
09-01-2004, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't make this call but I know aggressive players that would. Even when he saw Greg's cards, he was not unhappy with the call. As he said, he was playing to win and, towards that object, was willing to take a few coinflips in the process.

Kiant
09-01-2004, 12:13 PM
(read in a whiny voice)
'cause he's got biiig cojones....Raymer has leeeetle cojones...
What a complete and utter numbnut. Thank goodness for the survival of the fittest, and this jackass won't be able to procreate (hopefully).

J.A.Sucker
09-01-2004, 12:29 PM
He put Greg on air. If Greg has AK here, then folding would be silly, right? He probably was more tempted to call because he figured that Greg would bully him and show him a huge bluff, since they were going at it pretty hard at that point. An fairly easy call, IMO. If he thought Greg had AA or KK, then he wouldn't have called preflop.

SossMan
09-01-2004, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He put Greg on air. If Greg has AK here, then folding would be silly, right? He probably was more tempted to call because he figured that Greg would bully him and show him a huge bluff, since they were going at it pretty hard at that point. An fairly easy call, IMO. If he thought Greg had AA or KK, then he wouldn't have called preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

just to play devil's advocate...

Greg's preflop play certainly indicates overs, but his flop all in doesn't look like naked overs. It's hard without knowing some of the prior history, and Mike did keep indicating that Greg was pushing around the table in general and himself in particular. So I guess Mike could have jived greg's preflop play and his flop play to mean just overcards (obviously, or he wouldn't have called). I'm not saying the call is bad, but it does look kind of marginal and one that I probably wouldn't have made.

tdomeski
09-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Mike: "I told you I was going to bust you" . . . .

Fossilman: "Thanks for busting me, Mike" . . . .

Priceless.

deacsoft
09-01-2004, 12:56 PM
I love the call... roughly less than two times out of three, that is.

B Dids
09-01-2004, 01:02 PM
FWIW, that sounds a lot like how Greg played. If Matusow puts Greb just on overs, and not a flush draw, it's a fine call.

mostsmooth
09-01-2004, 01:04 PM
im pretty sure the T was a /images/graemlins/heart.gif. flop was T /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. but i could be wrong.
i do believe it makes a difference.

schwza
09-01-2004, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im pretty sure the T was a /images/graemlins/heart.gif. flop was T /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. but i could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that sounds right. does anyone know if my chip calculations were right?

ThaSaltCracka
09-01-2004, 01:49 PM
his preflop call was what was horrible. He got to caught up in trying to bust Raymer. Seriously, who calls that preflop? Regardless of whether or not you think Raymer is pushing people around, you would only call with a good hand so you could try and bust him. 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, is not the hand you try to bust someone with.

mostsmooth
09-01-2004, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that sounds right. does anyone know if my chip calculations were right?

[/ QUOTE ]
now that i think about it, i believe raymer said he had 241k
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slacker13
09-01-2004, 01:57 PM
I beleive Matusow was blinded by trying to bust Greg. I would have to say his you can't push me around attitude is exactly what cost him a better placement in the tourney.
He went way too far with the hand when he could have waited for a much better spot to play.

judgesmails
09-01-2004, 02:34 PM
What if his holding was pocket nines and flop was 10, 8, 3, two diamonds? Would you think the call on the flop is bad? I agree with you on the pre flop action. But once at that point I think he was correct to trust his read and call. He was a favorite at that point.

WEASEL45
09-01-2004, 02:39 PM
no, Raymer was the favorite

durron597
09-01-2004, 02:55 PM
This is wrong. Flop T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Blinds: 1500/3000/a500. Preflop raise from Matusow: 14k. Raymer in the SB makes it 40000 to go. So if 9 handed the pot was 87000. Raymer had about 200000 chips to start the hand, so his push was about 2x the pot.

mostsmooth
09-01-2004, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is wrong. Flop T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Blinds: 1500/3000/a500. Preflop raise from Matusow: 14k. Raymer in the SB makes it 40000 to go. So if 9 handed the pot was 87000. Raymer had about 200000 chips to start the hand, so his push was about 2x the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
flop was T /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif!!! or was it? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Synth
09-01-2004, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mike: "I told you I was going to bust you" . . . .

Fossilman: "Thanks for busting me, Mike" . . . .

Priceless.

[/ QUOTE ]

For God Sakes, stop sucking up to Greg Raymer!

[ QUOTE ]
What if his holding was pocket nines and flop was 10, 8, 3, two diamonds? Would you think the call on the flop is bad? I agree with you on the pre flop action. But once at that point I think he was correct to trust his read and call. He was a favorite at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong, Fossilman was the favourite to win that hand (54.34% for Fossilman and 45.66% for Matusow on the flop).

[ QUOTE ]
his preflop call was what was horrible. He got to caught up in trying to bust Raymer. Seriously, who calls that preflop? Regardless of whether or not you think Raymer is pushing people around, you would only call with a good hand so you could try and bust him. 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif , is not the hand you try to bust someone with.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many players who will call a raise to try to outplay someone on the flop with a hand like 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (Gus Hansen, Layne Flack, Fossilman, etc). I believe that Matusow had his eye on busting Raymer and would pretty much play any hand to do so because he believed in his mind that he could bully around the bully on the flop.

Anyways, I personally believe that Matusow did make the right call. He had a hand while on the flop and I believe he read Fossilman for only overcards, so in that sense it was the right call because Matusow did infact have a hand on the flop.

I also believe Matusow played great poker, as well as Greg Fossilman, so I did feel sad for Matusows loss but also happy for Fossilmans win.

- Synth

Slacker13
09-01-2004, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But once at that point I think he was correct to trust his read and call. He was a favorite at that point

[/ QUOTE ]
Raymer was the favorite. He did risk 2/3's of his stack on that call.

J.A.Sucker
09-01-2004, 04:44 PM
If Greg turned over his hand, it's debatable whether to call or not. Basically, his pot equity (including the preflop money) would probably dictate a call. The only reason he wouldn't is to avoid a gamble at this stage of the tourney. I don't know what the different payouts were at this point, but I bet that calling would be correct. Once he saw the flop, I think the hand plays itself for both players.

dogmeat
09-01-2004, 06:03 PM
I can't make that call. Maybe that is why I've never won a BIG tournament. small ball syndrome

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif