PDA

View Full Version : 60k in 60 days, Season 2 - Day 1 and 2

gonores
09-01-2004, 08:25 AM
It’s hard to tell whether or not I should be pleased with Day 1 yet. I played 4 short sessions, adding up to 2307 hands. First 1.5hour session brought me up $1260.5. Sessions 2, 3, and 4 were all about 60-80 minutes, and went -$82.25, $688, and $743. Suffice to say, I was running hot. I settled in for what was going to be a long session in the evening (I had 1300 hands to play). About an hour into the session, I open-raised with 54o from the button, and I finally stopped and saw the monster I had become. I was seeing 32% of my flops and I was attempting to steal with any two cards. Posi-tilt. Ugly thing. I asked TV Superstar poker player Nick B. (coming up this weekend - check local listings) whether or not I was allowed to quit while 900 hands short of my goal, and he granted me permission. The final session was $422.50, putting me at a grand total of +$3031.75 for day 1. Great start cash-wise, but rather disappointing in terms of desired hands played. I’m not sure which to be angry at, though…my inability to work through sub-optimal conditions, or my inability to avoid posi-tilt.

Some hands: Bear in mind, I have never been good at going through a session and picking out hands that would be most interesting to the educated 2+2er. Decisions that interest me are often times decisions that appear to be quite easy once out of the heat of the battle. Furthermore, I am certain there are hands the require more thought than that which I give them. With that disclaimer…

Hand 1: I open-raise on the button with J9o. BB in this hand is weak-tight postflop. Both blinds call. Flop comes K93 with two diamonds. Checked to me, I bet, BB calls. Turn is the 7d, completing the flush draw. Check, I bet, he calls. River is the 4s. Check, bet, call. He turns over K6s for flopped top pair, and I have egg on my face. I know it looks like an obvious value bet on the river, but I knew this guy wouldn’t have called 3 straight with a 3, and neither the turn nor the river could have realistically improved this guy to one pair (unless he had the 4d)…so what is he calling me with here? Bad kings and any 9. Suddenly the value bet doesn’t seem so valuable.

Hand 2: A laydown. UTG posts and checks, folded to SB, who completes. I check with A9o in the BB. Flop comes A98 rainbow. SB bets, I call, UTG calls. Turn comes 8d, putting 2 diamonds on the board. SB bets, I raise, UTG calls 2 cold, SB calls. River comes 4d, completing the flush draw. SB bets, I think a long time, and I muck. UTG calls, SB drags the pot with 7h8h against UTGs J9.

Hand 3: Need I slow down? I reraise UTG raiser (Loose-passive fish) from the CO with AA. Button calls 3 cold, blinds fold, UTG calls. Flop comes J55 with 2 spades. Checked to me, I bet, Button calls, UTG raises, I reraise, button calls 2 more, UTG caps, both call. Turn comes Ad, giving me the 2nd nuts. UTG bets, I raise, Button calls 2 cold, UTG reraises, I cap, button calls 2 more, UTG calls. River comes 6c. UTG checks, I bet, Button folds, and UTG and I end up capping it. Of course, he turns over 55. Given the development of the board, I think I might consider just calling the river checkraise.

Hand 4: Need I grow a pair (only slight educational value): I limp on the button after 2 limpers with 7c6c. SB calls, BB checks, 5 to flop. Flop comes 359 rainbow, giving me a double-gutter. Checked to UTG, who bets, CO calls, I raise, blinds fold, UTG reraises, CO calls 2 cold, I call. Turn is the 8s, giving me the nut straight. UTG bets, CO calls, I raise, UTG reraises, CO calls 2 more, I cap, both call. River is the 9c. Checked to me, and I check? Sure looks dumb as I type it. Anywho, the fun part of the story is that UTG turned over AA, and CO turned over KK.

You might be a redneck if…: So here I am, on a mission to make more money in two months than 70% of Americans make in a year. I’ve made more money already this year than I would have at most entry-level jobs in my field. Somehow, though, these sorts of things continue to happen…I settle down for a little Simpsons watching in the early evening and I bust open a new box of Capn Crunch. I pour myself a bowl and douse it generously with milk. As this is the inaugural bowl of cereal at our new apartment, I was compelled to look around a bit to locate the spoons. I search the kitchen before I realize…I don’t own a spoon. I never owned a spoon. My roommate, who has led a mirror-image life in different college town up until now, doesn’t own a spoon. I was forced to eat my bowl of Capn with a 1/8cup measuring cup. Man…I am a loser.

Obviously, given the nature of this challenge, other things are going to go by the wayside. I bought my way out of my volunteering gig for a Senate campaign today. I spent a few hours a week during the summer working finance for the campaign, but now with the school year coming around, there was an influx of students that could take my place. I didn’t want to just leave for completely selfish reasons, so to compensate, I cut them a $500 check and I recruited someone to take my place. Still, leaving the campaign really sucks, since I really believe in the candidate. Politics always has and always will be a huge part of my life, and it kills me to be detached from this campaign. Anywho…

Day 2 was excellent as well. I picked off a ton of bluffs today. My roommate unfortunately deleted my records for the day, so there I don’t have any hands to post, and I can’t give specific session details. I played solely 10/20 6max today, as it happened that every time a 15/30 6max opened up, I was too content with my table selection. I won’t blame myself for that… I stand by my decision to play my current tables. Results supported my decision….I ended up +$2296.75 today.

I am soooo just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I guess swings can be your friend too.

Summary to date:

Day 1 – Goal: 3200 hands, 10/20 6m
Results: 2307 hands
+$3031.75

Day 2 – Goal: 2800 hands, 10/20 6m - 15/30 6m
Results: 2795 hands
+$2296.75

Cumulative results
Goal: 150000 hands (secret modified hand-scoring system)
Days 1-2: 5102 hands (extrapolated: 153060 hands)
Goal: $60000
Days 1-2: $5328.5 ($3328.5 ahead of pace, extrapolated: $157155…yeah, right)

Please remember: Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Doug

Tosh
09-01-2004, 10:25 AM
You played more hands in 2 days than I did last month. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

MEbenhoe
09-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Great start man. Days like that are needed in a quest to make up for the inevitable down swing days that you will have. Keep up the good work.

On hand 1, I agree with your thought process. I don't think there is too much value to your river bet. With 3 diamonds on the board and an overcard I think it's unlikely that he calls a bet here unless he has you beat. Unless you had some sort of different read on him I wouldn't have made that bet.

On hand 2, good laydown here. In 6 max a lot of players will play any pair and while thats usually good for you, it results in hands like these once in awhile. The key is recognizing these hands and not paying them off when they happen.

Hand 3: This is just unlucky and it happens and you hopefully move on tilt free. I think you played this hand as well as you could. I like that you 3 bet his check raise, because with two spades out he could have been pulling that with a wide variety of hands. If he had top pair with a good kicker hes probably doing this to protect his hand. The fact that he checkraised with quads on the flop with so many agressive players in this hand does seem odd to me, but it paid off for him. The more important question on this hand is did the thought of him having quads ever cross your mind? What possible hands did you put him on on the flop? on the turn? on the river? This is an important question for yourself, to see if you were constantly reevaluating the situation or if you were simply just betting away without a thought for his possible range of hands.

Hand 4: I'm confused here. All this aggression from you in the previous hands, and a check on the river? Were you putting anyone on two pair or a set before the river? If thats the case the check is understandable, but I think maybe this might be more value bet time than the other hand was. You have to be willing to call a raise here though, because someone could have just hit trips and be raising with what they think is the best hand. Once again its a play that is very read dependant, as a lot of tough plays in the 6 max games are.

Once again good job on your first two days and good luck.

kiemo
09-01-2004, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You played more hands in 2 days than I did last month. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He played more hands in 2 days then I did in the last 5 months.

I have a plethora of spoons though, so neener!

gonores
09-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Hand 3: I made my hand perfectly clear, and he didn't blink. I forgot to mention I had the As, which eliminates hands like AsKs from my mind. Quads came to mind as soon as he checkraised...I just 3bet on a matter of pure principle.

Hand 4: Who knows why I don't bet river...I'm a fuggin retard. It goes against my primary mantra "when I get confused, I will bet and raise." I post things like that as pennance. But at least I didn't limp with AA and KK like my opponents. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bicyclekick
09-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Man you're kicking schneids ass already. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Oh and it was damn funny that you dont have a spoon. That's so something I would do.

Leo Bello
09-01-2004, 11:35 AM
I play a lot, but only but mostly ten-handed. It still amazes me, the number of hands u could play. I am playing for 3 hours now, in 3 tables online, and I got around 500 hands only. Playing 3K hands in one day. That is a lot of Poker.

Schneids
09-01-2004, 12:32 PM
You need a whole journal dedicated to hands against the dude that shares the same name as a cheap kind of vodka. Hilarity would ensue.

Congrats on the good start, though it should be $40 higher /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. You of all people should know many people cap TPGK on the flop, and anybody with a counterfeit two pair will still call your river bet in hand 4.

Schneids
09-01-2004, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play a lot, but only but mostly ten-handed. It still amazes me, the number of hands u could play. I am playing for 3 hours now, in 3 tables online, and I got around 500 hands only. Playing 3K hands in one day. That is a lot of Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

10/20 6max you can get 90-95 hands/hour in per table most of the time. Though I disgress, 3000 hands is still a lot of poker in a day.

sam h
09-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Wow. That is a sh*tload of hands you are planning on playing per day.

Congrats on making them count so far.

gonores
09-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Loosely translated, it's only 7 hours of 10/20 6max (4 tables), plus my "hand count" gets boosted by multiplying hands played at higher stakes by a multiplier. For instance, 15/306max hands get multiplied by 1.3.

cnfuzzd
09-01-2004, 05:35 PM
<<<blah blah good poker stuff...yadda yadda.. grow a pair..blah blah blah>>>

Good start. My only suggestion would be to print out this post and read it at the begining of every day for perspective.

<<<You might be a redneck if…: So here I am, on a mission to make more money in two months than 70% of Americans make in a year. I’ve made more money already this year than I would have at most entry-level jobs in my field. Somehow, though, these sorts of things continue to happen…I settle down for a little Simpsons watching in the early evening and I bust open a new box of Capn Crunch. I pour myself a bowl and douse it generously with milk. As this is the inaugural bowl of cereal at our new apartment, I was compelled to look around a bit to locate the spoons. I search the kitchen before I realize…I don’t own a spoon. I never owned a spoon. My roommate, who has led a mirror-image life in different college town up until now, doesn’t own a spoon. I was forced to eat my bowl of Capn with a 1/8cup measuring cup. Man…I am a loser.>>>

Buying spoons is for sellouts who also do things like shave and go on dates. Any TRUE poker player would know you should steal all your flatware from the nearest restaurant. Although im still the coolest. I have my ex-roommate's ex-roommate's dead grandmothers silverware. I have no clue how. The stuff i dont use is even still in the original container on top of my microwave. I dont even know this poor dead womans name. Good times.

peace

john nickle

nykenny
09-07-2004, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Man you're kicking schneids ass already. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Oh and it was damn funny that you dont have a spoon. That's so something I would do.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey! without counting the 5000 losing streak i won 10K in last 8 days totaling only 22 hours, that's about 350h/hr of 15/30, i beat them both in terms of $/h /images/graemlins/grin.gif

anyway, good jobs /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tosh
09-07-2004, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hey! without counting the 5000 losing streak i won 10K in last 8 days totaling only 22 hours, that's about 350h/hr of 15/30, i beat them both in terms of $/h /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey man thats awesome!! Without the hands I lost this year I am up about $1.4 million, I rule too right?

nykenny
09-07-2004, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Buying spoons is for sellouts who also do things like shave and go on dates.

[/ QUOTE ]

buying a spoon - going to the supermarket or nearest Mikasa store will take aprox. 15 mins each way plus shopping and talking to the cashier and paying with cash, will total about 45 minutes - will put you, the 6max expert in a hole of $125 for not playing 4 tables of 6 max and eat without the spoon.

hence -EV.

Kenny

nykenny
09-07-2004, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Politics always has and always will be a huge part of my life, and it kills me to be detached from this campaign. Anywho…

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, could you lobby for legalizing Poker in NYC??? many thanks.. maybe one day i can tell people where i get my $, hehe

nykenny
09-07-2004, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey man thats awesome!! Without the hands I lost this year I am up about $1.4 million, I rule too right?

[/ QUOTE ]

that only means you have played about 1500 times more hands than i do, cause you have no idea how much money i didn't win /images/graemlins/smile.gif