PDA

View Full Version : survey - should i "make a run at it"?

jfresh
09-01-2004, 04:06 AM
going to vegas for labor day weekend. i've been pretty successful multi-tabling 15/30 and/or 5/10 SH online.... playing and beating 15/30 and 20/40 live.... played 30/60 for the first time last time i was in vegas.

college is starting again soon, figure i'd let summer go out with a bang: i am thinking of taking my entire live bankroll (5k, which is about half of my whole bankroll which includes online) and playing the highest game i can afford to buy into, which i tihnk might be 80/160. good idea, risky idea or really stupid idea?

i figure if anything, labor day weekend will be the fishiest of any time of the year. and i'll take a look at the game before i play it, if it is a rock garden or it looks like the majority of the players are good/tricky, i obviously won't sit. also, if i do lose it all... well it would suck a lot, but i'd still have 4 or 5k to live on, which would do fine as a college student.

btw, anyone know if there is a 60/120 game at the bellagio? that might suit my bankroll a bit more (30-40 BB buyin).. or have another high limit game suggestion for me?

Josh W
09-01-2004, 04:17 AM
It would be stupid.

See, the games aren't going anywhere. Build up to 40K, then take a 5k stab. If you do well in the game, you can hope to make 2k. Is that gonna change your life at all? I sincerely doubt it.

I talk to a lot of players who want to turn pro because they can afford and beat 10-20 games. The problem is that if they go pro then, they'll never be able to build up a bigger bankroll, cuz their wins will go to bills. And they'll forever struggle.

I'm not saying that's you, but it's similar. Taking completely unfounded 'runs at it' will not end in success. It will give you a rush, but just get that rush later, like in 6 months or a year.

The games aren't going anywhere.

Josh

cnfuzzd
09-01-2004, 07:12 AM
baaaaad idea. We have bankrolls for a reason and its not to risk them. Now, if someone had told me that.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

peace

john nickle

ZeeJustin
09-01-2004, 10:26 AM
I can't understand how someone can spend countless hours grinding out a decent bankroll, and then be willing to blow it all (or half of it) in an hour.

Ulysses
09-01-2004, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've been pretty successful multi-tabling 15/30 and/or 5/10 SH online.... playing and beating 15/30 and 20/40 live.... played 30/60 for the first time last time i was in vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i am thinking of taking my entire live bankroll (5k, which is about half of my whole bankroll which includes online)

[/ QUOTE ]

So you've been spending like crazy?

[ QUOTE ]
and playing the highest game i can afford to buy into, which i tihnk might be 80/160. good idea, risky idea or really stupid idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it's stupid. But no stupider than taking 5k to the craps tables. Sounds like you have money that you want to gamb000l with. As long as you're aware that's what you're doing, go for it. I'm all for gambling and having fun.

dogmeat
09-01-2004, 04:49 PM
The foolish part of your plan is asking other people to make your decisions for you. Only you know how easy or how difficult that bankroll was to build. Only you know how you will feel if/when you lose it in 45 minutes.

I'd never do it, but I'm a wimpy little $2/4 player that can't afford to lose his role. On the other hand, you are already playing the games I'd like to get to. Make your own decision and sleep well regardless of what you decide and regardless of what happens.

Good Luck.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Tosh
09-01-2004, 05:12 PM
You're already playing 20/40 and 30/60 without the bankroll, so why even ask we know you're going to. Its fine as long as going bust doesn't bother you.

Nottom
09-01-2004, 06:16 PM
I'd want at least a coupld buy-ins for whatever limit I want to play. I think playing anything higher than 40/80 with 5K would be stupid.