PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone......?

stupidsucker
09-01-2004, 03:24 AM
Does anyone make mistakes knowingly sometimes?

Is it just me? Has anyone overcome it completely?

For example... In one of my last posts I had a hand where I played AK very poorly. I am not a dumbass, I know I played it wrong, and I knew I was playing it wrong as I did it. I min raised preflop from the SB the bet into the flop only a half size bet when I flopped the K.

This is only one example. Others might include calling with a hand like AJo all in when you know its just best to let it go... the list goes on and on. Think of any situation that isnt ABC poker or based on a solid read.

Perhaps this is a silly question, but I am serious. I want to know

Gramps
09-01-2004, 03:38 AM
There's definitely times when I get raised where I emotionally want to call, but know (given the circumstances) the right play is to lay it down. Every now and then I get weak and make the call without giving myself a good rational reason why it's right in the given circumstance (or stretching the range of hands my opponent "might" be making there play with, etc.). I know it's probably wrong, I stretch the truth so I can call because emotionally I don't want to back down...

...and usually 2 seconds later I'm cursing myself for being a dumbass...but I take pride on not making those mistakes very often. I doubt there's many (or any) players who never make plays like that, but always being able to explain (to yourself or your imaginary friend sitting next to you at the computer - for those who like to talk out loud to themselves) exactly why the play you're making is the right play, tends to help eliminate such plays (IMO).

Also, after you make a dumbass play like that, try to come up with a reason why you did it (I'm tired, bored, that player's come over the top of me three times and I got sick and tired of it, etc.) and take note of it. Then take a break when you're done playing. Actually, making yourself take a break (putting yourself in the SNG penalty box) after you finish you current round of SNGs is a good idea as well.

SmileyEH
09-01-2004, 05:35 AM
All the time...but usually just after I make the play. Like today - playing my fifth 20+2 for the day on an incredible hot streak(5ITM's in a row). Folded to me in the SB with 5xBB's left. I move in with 89o. doh.

-SmileyEH

willie
09-01-2004, 09:31 AM
absolutely

i played a 5+1 multi a week or so ago, got to the final table about 6th in chips

then ran a horrible, and extremely weak bluff and ended up going broke....

my girlfriend called, i answered the phone then proceeded to COMPLETELY piss my chips off into the abyss on a horrible hand, throwing away my chances for the money and taking tenth.....

i was so frustrated that i had played for much more than an hour completely solid, then pull a matusow and go broke- i just beat myself. just a mental lapse, but it happens time to time.