PDA

View Full Version : HU calling with Aces?

08-27-2002, 12:44 PM
I did something yesterday I don't remember ever doing before and it felt very weird, but I don't think it was a horrible play with the situation.

An MP limper and I raise in the CuttOff with 2 red aces. Blinds fold and limper calls.

Flop: 8-9-T rainbow.

Limper bets into me. I call.

Turn: 8. Limper bets. I call.

River: 3. Limper bets. I call.

Limper tables AJ for the straight draw that never got there and I drag the pot with my aces.

My thinking:

I've played with this guy many times as we are both regulars at this card room. He has a tendancy to bet draws hard, but will also bet a good hand hard as well. He sometimes slow plays but more often aggressively bets his hands.

With that flop I figure there is a chance he could be betting a draw and a chance he could already have 2 pair or a straight. The turn brings an 8 and he still bets. He could still be on his draw, could have trips (or full), 2 pair no good any more.

River is no help. He still bets. He either has it or he doesn't.

I figured that putting a bunch of money in the pot on any street wasn't a good idea as I could easily be beaten, but I'm not going to lay down Aces heads up against this individual. By letting him bluff the whole way with Ace high, I still got a nice pot, but minimized my loses if he did actually have me beat.

Comments?

08-27-2002, 02:07 PM
There is nothing wrong with letting an aggressive player bet your hand for you in a heads-up situation like this with you having position. Your reasoning is fine.