PDA

View Full Version : rule question

frielman
09-01-2004, 02:06 AM
i was in a nl home game, $20 buy in, when i got this hand. i had pocket 4's, flop came K K 8. i bet and get called by one player. both him and i check on the turn. i check on the river, and he says exactly "what do you have" so i show my hand. then he says he meant how much do i have, and the whole table starts talking, half saying i thought i knew what he meant and half saying they thought he meant how much was in my stack. anyway, the verdict was that he was allowed to bet if he wanted, which i don't agree with. so he bet 3 bucks and i folded, and he showed that he had nothing. should this have been my pot?

friel

sthief09
09-01-2004, 02:08 AM
it's your fault for showing your hand. you shouldn't show down your hand until he says "check"

MarkL444
09-01-2004, 02:15 AM
did you even consider calling him. just how large is the 3 dollar bet compared to typical action you would see? if he did have you beat, he probably knows that you are gonna fold easily and would make a smaller bet that you might call. 3 dollars with a 20 dollar buy in doesnt sound that huge. or maybe he would be thinking this too, i dunno. either way it would be so fun calling that bet and taking the pot from him.

btw, "what do you have" sounds like a check, but you should have double checked with him.

TheBong
09-01-2004, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i was in a nl home game, $20 buy in, when i got this hand. i had pocket 4's, flop came K K 8. i bet and get called by one player. both him and i check on the turn. i check on the river, and he says exactly "what do you have" so i show my hand. then he says he meant how much do i have, and the whole table starts talking, half saying i thought i knew what he meant and half saying they thought he meant how much was in my stack. anyway, the verdict was that he was allowed to bet if he wanted, which i don't agree with. so he bet 3 bucks and i folded, and he showed that he had nothing. should this have been my pot?

friel

[/ QUOTE ]

Asking "What do you have" while it could be considered a check in a relaxed homegame is still not action. Until he has made a defined action, his hand and yours are both still live. It's no ones responsibility to protect your cards but yourself.

Yes, it was probably relaxed, but especially in a NL game you have to think he may have been inquiring as to your stack, which is what I'm thinking he was doing.

Strictly speaking, the hand should be live and if its his turn to act he has the right to bet the hand.