PDA

View Full Version : Mixing the line up a bit

Jason Strasser
09-01-2004, 01:51 AM
I've tried to mix it up a bit recently. How do you like my line?

100 NL on stars (still going on)
I'm dealt AJo in the SB, blinds 50/100, I have 1400, BB has double what I have.

Its folded to me in the SB, I make it 300, BB who is loose calls. Flop A24r. I check, he bets 300, I call.

Turn: Q, I push all-in.

Like?
-Jason

z32fanatic
09-01-2004, 01:58 AM
As usual your play is erratic and crazy. I like it. I will have to add this play to my list of possibilites. I basically like any play that makes my opponents first reaction sound something like "Wtf?! Why'd he do that?"

Jason Strasser
09-01-2004, 02:00 AM
You would be so bored if you watched me play /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I only post the juicy stuff.
-Jason

z32fanatic
09-01-2004, 02:12 AM
You would be more bored watching me play, as I am usually out in 10 minutes so there is nothing to watch.

BobboFitos
09-01-2004, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As usual your play is erratic and crazy. I like it. I will have to add this play to my list of possibilites. I basically like any play that makes my opponents first reaction sound something like "Wtf?! Why'd he do that?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of crazy plays...
Do you ever get the urge to bluff checkraise all in on the river for a pot that's like 5% of your stack? Somehow I find it irresistable every so often.

It's the little things in poker.

z32fanatic
09-01-2004, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you ever get the urge to bluff checkraise all in on the river for a pot that's like 5% of your stack? Somehow I find it irresistable every so often.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course, and it's the 1 out of 5 times it works that keeps me trying it.

BobboFitos
09-01-2004, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, ok, try for some humor and I get cynicism. Actually, it works far more often than that, but to reiterate, this isn't exactly a standard play of mine.

Just one that I sometimes get the *urge* to try.

Ian J
09-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Jason,

What are you trying to accomplish here? Are you trying to get him to look you up w/ a weaker ace?

I love the flop play. The turn overbet is one that I don't really like. I've been experimenting with these overbets lately and I rarely get called. I think if you want to get him all in here, you should bet something like 600 on the turn, followed by 800 more on the river if he calls. If he raises the turn, well then, /images/graemlins/confused.gif.

ZeeJustin
09-01-2004, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The turn overbet is one that I don't really like.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's betting T800 into the T1400 pot. How exactly is this an overbet?

eMarkM
09-01-2004, 11:09 AM
Seems reasonable to me. You have to check made hands sometimes, too many players just bet, bet, bet their made hands to "prevent draws". NL is all about trapping and without any obvious draws here, why not trap? Let the bigger stack try and bully and bluff you. On the turn, I may have gone for a check/raise to trap for more money, you're obviously going all the way with this one anyway.

SossMan
09-01-2004, 11:31 AM
If by "mixing it up" you mean playing it fairly standard, then I like it.

Is there a joke I'm not getting, because this is how I would play this almost 100% of the time.

Tosh
09-01-2004, 12:19 PM
I like it just fine.

Ian J
09-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Oops. I had it backwards. For some reason, I mistakenly thought he was betting something like 1100 into a pot of 800. Guess I need to read a bit closer.

Tosh
09-01-2004, 12:50 PM
It is 800 into 1200.

Jason Strasser
09-01-2004, 12:58 PM
This is standard for you?

My standard line would be betting the flop and pushing the turn.

Next in line would be check raising the flop all-in.

Anyhow, he showed me A6s, MHIG, but it got me thinking that against this type of player, anyway I played this hand I'd be getting it all in.

-Jason

Tosh
09-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Did you consider checking the turn too? I am always much more likely to play this sort of way when I hit my ace, than when I hit a jack high flop.

MLG
09-01-2004, 01:26 PM
I think I would check again here, and call/raise all-in. Its quite possible he will bet a pair of 4s, or a pocket pair below Qs, or even an inside straight draw again. These are hands he might be able to get away from for an 800 bet into a 1300 or so pot. Plus, with no real draws, its not the end of the world if he checks behind. Plus you are then more likely to get called by a weaker hand on the river as it looks like you are trying to steal the pot.

z32fanatic
09-01-2004, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, ok, try for some humor and I get cynicism. Actually, it works far more often than that, but to reiterate, this isn't exactly a standard play of mine.

Just one that I sometimes get the *urge* to try.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was also joking. I have tried that before and it doesn't seem to work for me. But when it does work, it is a great feeling. Yeah, that makes me sound like a fish.

SossMan
09-01-2004, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is standard for you?

My standard line would be betting the flop and pushing the turn.

Next in line would be check raising the flop all-in.

Anyhow, he showed me A6s, MHIG, but it got me thinking that against this type of player, anyway I played this hand I'd be getting it all in.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

whoops, misread the post...I thought you bet out 300 on the flop and pushed on the turn...so I guess we agree, that is the standard line...

I think the check call followed by the push on a seemingly non-threatning turn card looks suspish, and will get you some "WTF" calls, so I like it.

btw, i kant reed goot

t_petrosian
09-01-2004, 01:52 PM
You want fun and crazy?? Sometimes I try to play junk hands to extend my post-flop technique (which sucks, of course). First hand of a $20 SNG on Party on Sunday. I find 72off. I raise it up to $60 from middle position ($10/15 blinds). Folded to small blind who calls. BB folds. 2 people. Flop AK5. Small blind raises to $75, I smooth call. Turn = 9. Small blind raises to $75, I reraise to $375. He folds his AJ. I show my 72off and get played with the rest of the SNG, regardless of what I'm holding. I go on to win, shrugging off a few nasty comments about my hand selection.

Tosh
09-01-2004, 01:53 PM
You think those comments were unjust?

gergery
09-01-2004, 02:28 PM
I’m with MLG, I check-calling better here against a loose/aggressive type.

SossMan
09-01-2004, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You want fun and crazy?? Sometimes I try to play junk hands to extend my post-flop technique (which sucks, of course). First hand of a $20 SNG on Party on Sunday. I find 72off. I raise it up to $60 from middle position ($10/15 blinds). Folded to small blind who calls. BB folds. 2 people. Flop AK5. Small blind raises to $75, I smooth call. Turn = 9. Small blind raises to $75, I reraise to $375. He folds his AJ. I show my 72off and get played with the rest of the SNG, regardless of what I'm holding. I go on to win, shrugging off a few nasty comments about my hand selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, you are amazing