PDA

View Full Version : stu ungar movie

gibs
08-31-2004, 11:31 PM
What ever happened to this movie, High Roller: the Stu Ungar story? I haven't heard anything for a while, but last I heard it got picked up by someone and they were planning to put it in the theaters. I went to the website for the movie but couldn't find any info. Anybody know what's going on and when the movie is going to be available to either buy or go see in the theaters?

SpiderMnkE
09-01-2004, 11:01 AM
For real... this movie looks goot

I'm ready for it, where's it at?

Tilty McTilterson
09-01-2004, 03:24 PM
I think the titled is "Stuey" and it never got released, probably becuase it's not very good. It stars Michael Imperioli from the Sopranos, and I think Vince Van Patten is in it (seriously).

Here's what Variety said about it:

"Unfortunately, writer-director A.W. Vidmer's "Stuey" is as paint-by-numbers as biopics get. "Stuey" has about as much chance to see more than cable and video exhibition as a weekend gambler has of getting dealt a royal flush."

At least this film's failure decreases the chance that we'll have to endure a Dutch Boyd biopic.

Duke
09-01-2004, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the titled is "Stuey" and it never got released, probably becuase it's not very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I wouldn't say it's the greatest movie ever made, but it's certainly not a bad movie. It's certainly better than Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid, and AVP. Poker is also popular as all hell these days.

I think there is something aside from the movie's quality that is holding back distribution, but I have no idea what that could possibly be.

~D

BarronVangorToth
09-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Has anyone actually SEEN it...?

With the DVD market nowadays -- someone can make a movie-for-DVD and make some money (why bury the movie, release it, put up a website, and let Amazon.com sell some copies at $20 a pop -- I'd buy one, sight unseen, especially since it stars one of my favorite guys from Sopranos).

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

PokerBabe(aka)
09-01-2004, 08:42 PM
The Babe is in the movie as an extra in 2 scenes. On this basis alone, it should definitely be released!. Actually, the movie is pretty good overall. Some of the details may be inaccurate, but it captures the tortured nature of the protagonist.

LGPG

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Duke
09-01-2004, 09:31 PM
Yeah I saw it at the palms for that film festival last year or whenever it was.

~D

Duke
09-01-2004, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I liked it. I'd see it again. I'd buy the DVD.

~D

beernutz
09-02-2004, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

With the DVD market nowadays -- someone can make a movie-for-DVD and make some money (why bury the movie, release it, put up a website, and let Amazon.com sell some copies at $20 a pop -- I'd buy one, sight unseen, especially since it stars one of my favorite guys from Sopranos).

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen it but I did watch all the clips on the official movie web site (http://www.highrollermovie.com/) and I thought they were all pretty good. I'd pay to watch it based on what I saw.

TJSWAN
09-02-2004, 12:44 PM
The film has been sent to New Line Cinema and they have still not decided if it will be a theatrical or cable release. A TV rated version has also been made. DVD release is anticipated by next years WSOP. This was from an Email received today from Tony Vidmer to the Yahoo news group.

Tim