PDA

View Full Version : Check the river?

PhilipJ
08-31-2004, 11:14 PM
One of the few playable hands tonight. But I think I botched the river.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP2 folds, CO calls.

River: (8 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Just want to be sure, the flop and turn are ok, right?

UTG just sat down. I bet out on the river hoping he would fold. Are check/fold or check/call better alternatives?

AncientPC
09-01-2004, 01:06 AM
I think flop and turn bets were fine.

River bet is up to you, but I doubt anyone's going to fold a 10 BB pot to 1 bet. It seems like he's complacent with calling you all the way through, so I don't see why he would fold on the river.

uuDevil
09-01-2004, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet out on the river hoping he would fold. Are check/fold or check/call better alternatives?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a chance your hand is best, so I don't think check-folding in a fair sized pot is reasonable. Check-calling 1 bet is better, but I think you made the best choice and played the hand fine.

Webster
09-01-2004, 07:23 AM
I think the bet on the river is fine. You risk is being raised and I can't seen anybody raising. Looks to me they the group were all searching.

I'm all for checking calling on the river but here - stay with the bet, which goes against my rules but , I always go against my rules. . .

Reason for check calling
1. you don't want to risk a raise
2. If you bet and a guy missed he'll fold anyway-you get nothing
3. He might have a better hands and you lose a bet

Peter Harris
09-01-2004, 07:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Reason for check calling
1. you don't want to risk a raise
2. If you bet and a guy missed he'll fold anyway-you get nothing
3. He might have a better hands and you lose a bet

[/ QUOTE ]

4. The player might bet hands as a bluff on the river that you would have to call. Checking the T gives the player the opportunity to bluff a T holding.

See Theory of Poker pp209-220 for discussions on check-call, check-fold or bet out options. I understood it for the first time yesterday /images/graemlins/smile.gif

against microers i bet the river. If they spiked a T then so be it, you can't check-fold given the hands play.

Regards,
Pete Harris