PDA

View Full Version : Yankees lose 22-0

Dynasty
08-31-2004, 10:29 PM
The Yankees got clobbered tonight 22-0 by the Indians. Mr. Steinbrenner is going to be very mad, especially since he was in attendance and witnessed the massacre.

It's the biggest loss in Yankees history. They had never loss by more than 18 before.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox had a big win against the Angels. The Sox are now just 3.5 games behind the struggling Yankees. On 8/16, the Sox were 10.5 games behind the Yanks. The Sox also expanded their wildcard lead to 2.5 games.

The Sox and Yanks have six games left against each other on 9/17-19 and 9/24-26.

Maybe that Andy Fox guy knows something about baseball.

Sooga
08-31-2004, 10:45 PM
Whew, I'm glad I don't have Javier Vasquez on my fantasy squad... oh wait, yes I do. I hate my team.

kyro
08-31-2004, 11:06 PM
Sadly, trading Nomar (not Nomah anymore) was the best thing our beloved BoSox could have done. I give Epstein props for making it happen, and getting what he could.

Boris
08-31-2004, 11:18 PM

bwana devil
08-31-2004, 11:43 PM
yes, seeing the yankees get killed was more entertaining than watching the bush twins fumble through a stand-up performance.

i believe i heard that it was the worst shut-out in AL history. sweeeet.

3 1/2 games back for the sox. im not a huge wildcard fan so to me, wildcard entry into the playoffs is kind of an insult.

LethalRose
08-31-2004, 11:48 PM
Go indians..hopefully this gives them the confidence to get to the playoffs...they were within 4.5 games at one point.

adios
08-31-2004, 11:51 PM
I remember stating after about 90 games played that I thought Red Sox fans were being too pessimistic and that it was still relatively early in the year. The Indians were 1 game out of first 2 1/2 weeks ago and lost 9 in a row. I remember 1964 and the Phillies collapse in the last week of the season when 8 games ahead ... Oh well the Red Sox are obviously in the hunt. With 30 games left a lot can happen. As much as I enjoy seeing the Tribe win this game it's only one game, Yankees are certain to be up for tomorrow's game to avenge the embarassment. At least they won't being using the same pitchers out of the bullpen tomorrow. I'd like to borrow 11 runs from tonighs game and apply them for the rest of the series /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

daryn
09-01-2004, 12:16 AM
i love this kind of thing. i just love it.

if boston sweeps anaheim and cleveland can take one more from the yanks, the red sox will def. have the momentum necessary to win the east, or at least the wild card, and then the world series.

this is our 1978!

andyfox
09-01-2004, 12:52 AM
Bottom line is that it's very hard to revamp an entire pitching staff and be successful. Pettitte, Clemens, and Wells won 55 games last year. I might be wrong, but I think the only pitcher currently on the staff that was on the team last year is Rivera.

Mussina hasn't pitched decently in a long time. I watched Brown closely his last two starts and he's doing it with guile and guts but with no fastball. I'd rather have the fastball. Vasquez also has no zip on his fastball. Only El Duque looks good. Combine this with a team that is in a hitting slump and you've got problems.

Kudos to Red Sox management: when things aren't going well, you have to try something. They did.

I thought Vladimir Guerrero was a cinch to win the MVP award earlier this year, but I like Manny right now.

ThaSaltCracka
09-01-2004, 01:08 AM
I saw A-Rod after the game and he said in regards to the game " I had some tough times in Seattle, but nothing like this". He never ceases to amaze me how much of a jackass he is.

This is a turning point for the Yankees. These either sinks them or else it motivates them. Should be interesting.

andyfox
09-01-2004, 01:08 AM
Motivation won't get the job done without pitching.

ThaSaltCracka
09-01-2004, 01:19 AM
maybe the pitchers get motivated as well....

jdl22
09-01-2004, 01:52 AM
While it's nowhere near as interesting as those posted by Cubswin during the olympics but I thought you guys might like this:
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2004/0831/photo/a_yankees_ft.jpg

andyfox
09-01-2004, 02:11 AM
When I saw that line score on ESPN's website, I assumed a position player had pitched the 9th inning. Shows what I know. I guess Loaiza is out of the rotation.

Boris
09-01-2004, 05:00 AM
I agree. Total jackass comment considering that he was also a part of some really good Seattle teams as well.

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-01-2004, 05:56 AM
I think losing 22-0 is tougher on fans than on players. To the players, losing 3-2 hurts more. I agree that the loss just underscores the fact that this Yankee team has a weakness, but I'm not scheduling the victory parade in Boston yet. The results of one day does not make a season, any more than spending "more days in first place" relieved the disappointment of missing the playoffs a couple of years ago.

bosoxfan
09-01-2004, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The results of one day does not make a season, any more than spending "more days in first place" relieved the disappointment of missing the playoffs a couple of years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have to go and ruin the mood by quoting that moron.

B-Man
09-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Of course, I should have listened to you sooner, given your track record, but better late than never.

I hated the Nomar trade at the time, but I sure don't hate the results. For whatever reasons, it worked.

I heard one of the NY writers described the Yankees by saying they "look like Rosie O'Donnell trying to hold off Michael Phelps in the 100m butterfly." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's going to be an interesting September (and, hopefully, October).

sfer
09-01-2004, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Only El Duque looks good.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement, even if only marginally accurate, should scare the bejesus out of any Yankees fan.

WDC
09-01-2004, 11:21 AM
And the Twins win in eleven

ThaSaltCracka
09-01-2004, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Total jackass comment considering that he was also a part of some really good Seattle teams as well.

[/ QUOTE ] Totally, what about the tough times in Texas??? He is such a dumb ass. I was actually starting to like him again, but apparently he likes to burn bridges. I think the Yankees problem is that they are a content team. I think the are assuming that they will win the east. Jeter is the only player with some intensity on this team. A-Rod likes his money, and goes out and plays for it. Gary is injured( but sill giving his all), but he can't do it all. There is seriously a lack of intensity with this team.

If Boston wins the East, I would have to say, good night for the rest of the teams, because they will win the WS.

kyro
09-01-2004, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And the Twins win in eleven

[/ QUOTE ]

who cares. didn't you know the red sox and the yankees are the only teams that matter in baseball?

jwvdcw
09-01-2004, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sadly, trading Nomar (not Nomah anymore) was the best thing our beloved BoSox could have done. I give Epstein props for making it happen, and getting what he could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah its funny how everyone critisized that trade at that time.