PDA

View Full Version : Flopped trips in EP.

VarlosZ
08-31-2004, 10:23 PM
PokerStars $50+$5 NLHE 1-table SNG. 8 players left, I have 1700 in chips before posting BB of 50. Both opponents have me covered by a bit.

I'm dealt K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif. 3 players limp, SB folds, I check.

Flop (pot=200): A/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, EP mini-bets 50, MP folds, CO mini-raises to 100, I call, EP calls.

Turn (pot=500): 3/images/graemlins/club.gif

Don't like that club. I check, EP checks, CO bets 150, I call, EP folds.

River (pot=800): 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

If I check, I certainly can't count on an ace value betting behind me. Hence, I want to bet my hand for what it's worth, while also getting information about the flush on the board. I bet half the pot (400, w/ 1000 left in my stack), intending to fold if raised.

Comments? Should I have shown aggression on the flop and/or turn? Played the river differently? Thanks.

-- Jeremy

0evg0
08-31-2004, 10:40 PM
Yeah, really don't like that flop play at all. With 2 others in the hand, you've got to think the draw is likely (even if it might not correlate with the betting). Raise enough to force out anything but an A or K here, and after seeing 2 min-raises, you've got to realize that at least one of the hands that you are trying to trap can come back and beat you.

After the min-raise, and the min-reraise (100), I'm betting over half the pot (350) and probably somewhere around 250.

Thoughts?

RobGW
08-31-2004, 11:57 PM
The flop call is questionable. I probably would raise everyone out right now with a push. On the turn though, I would throw out a bet as it is a scare card. If raised then figure out your pot odds and decide whether to call. You do have a draw to a full house.

SmileyEH
09-01-2004, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I call,
I call

[/ QUOTE ]

wha? I don't understand why you played it like this. Could you explain?

LethalRose
09-01-2004, 12:12 AM
id throw all my chips in knowing i have the best hand, make them pay to outdraw you.

lastchance
09-01-2004, 12:29 AM
Check-raise the flop. You want money in, you really don't like cards falling. First, someone has bet, and then there's been a raise. That suggests that someone's willing to pay you off, so reraise the raise, you can push, I'd go to about 400.

Either way, turn play is slightly easier if you check call. You've got to bet/check-raise for information and play for info. I'd probably just lead out, even though that does suggest some weakness.

If I check-raised and someone called, it's a tough decision, and I might check-fold it depending on how much I think that guy's got the flush.

VarlosZ
09-01-2004, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
call,
I call

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wha? I don't understand why you played it like this. Could you explain?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, the CO had been pretty aggressive when others weren't showing strength, but also very quick to back down if someone played back at him; my thinking was that the best way to get his money would be to let him put it in there himself. On the turn, the 3rd club spooked me, and I wanted to maintain the option of getting away from the hand.

That said, I agree I played this poorly -- should've reraised the flop.

Of course, the worst part is yet to come. After I bet half the pot on the river (again, with the intention of folding if reraised), the CO does indeed go all-in . . . at which point I go into the tank, and begin the process of talking myself into an ass-headed call: Hmm . . . he'd made these same kinds of little bets and raises before with what turned out to be marginal made hands . . . my small bet on the river looks like I missed a draw, or in any case am leaving myself just enough so I can fold . . . I'm getting 2.5:1 on the end: will I really only have the best hand 2 times out of 7 here?

You idiot, he has the flush (or better), end of story. The flop mini-raise could only be becuase he wanted a free card on the turn, which of course he didn't need, then he underbets the turn so someone with trips will say "enough is enough" and raise.

He had J/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, and I wanted to gouge out my eyes.