PDA

View Full Version : Bally's $200NL hand that bothers me-review

KHALI
08-31-2004, 10:01 PM
I know this wasn't from a sng but I post here mostly and like and respect the feedback I get from some regulars here so I am crossposting.I was playing at the Bally's $100 minimum $200 maximum NL table with blinds of 1/2 recently and this hand came up. The table opened within the hour and all players have close to the full stack. I've been thinking of it for awhile and wondering if I made the right decisions or if I overplayed my hand and didn't get value for it. Anyways review it and comment please.

I am in bigblind and am dealt Q2 hearts. It is limped around the table with 7 out of nine callers so obviously I check. The flop comes J84 all of hearts. I decide to bet out and play this one fast as the table is almost overly deceptive with lots of checkraising, slowplaying etc so I don't think the others will put me on flush if I go out fast(hoping they think jack). I bet out $10 and get two callers when the guy on the button raises it up to $50. I think for awhile about what he has and what the others have. I think either two pair, set, top pair with the Ace hearts kicker would be likely hands but I don't think I'm beat yet. I decide I don't want to let him draw to a better flush or boat so I raise. Here is the part that is bothering me. I decide to reraise him so I pushed in the rest of my stack which was $147 more dollars for him to call. The two callers fold and the raiser thinks for a long time and folds his two pair.
My question is was the push too much and I didn't get value for my hand or was this a good move to stop an outdraw. Is he getting good odds to hit a possible better flush(as this was what I put him on A hearts J) if I just raised him back $50 more? What about flat calling his raise and then leading out again hoping to be reraised and then putting him in if a blank hits. How would you play it and think about it.

MEbenhoe
09-01-2004, 01:55 AM
I like this play. If I understand the way you explained the hand right your reraise brought the pot to $337, making it a bad play for him to call with top pair Ace high flush draw or with two pair hoping to hit his full house. If on the other hand you only raise $50 that means the pot is $240 and he has odds to call with his flush draw especially if he thinks that you'll call an all in bet if he hits. The two pair would still be a shaky call. You might induce this call with the $50 raise, but he may just as well fold to that raise too. I think overall your all in push was the correct move.

Profit
09-01-2004, 04:36 AM
I like this play too. I don't think you are going to get any more money out of this guy. if you call, mini raise, or push, there were 7 or 8 ppl seeing this flop right so he has to be extremely concerned that any1 playing back at him has his 2 pair beat. I think the ONLY way you get more money in the pot is by calling his raise, then checking the turn, checking the river and hopes he bites. NOte, i wouldn't do this, but if your goal was to make the pot as big as possible i think that would b ur best chance (of course both of you are hoping for no more hearts). Take the q2 BB special and run with it.

LinusKS
09-01-2004, 03:09 PM
I agree with the others here. By my count there's $94 in the pot when it's your turn to act. That's too much money not to just take it down right there. Anything less (than all-in) and I figure you're giving him implied odds to catch his draw - whatever it is - since I don't think you're going to be able to lay this down, if a scare card comes.

Indiana
09-01-2004, 06:01 PM
Khali,

My first reaction is that I like your move...My intuition is that you are not giving him the odds to call if you push.
Let's put some numbers on this to see if the intuition is good. I assume that the pot is at 94 when it is your turn to act. Lets consider two scenarios:

1)You raise him for 50 more (you bet 90) to bring the total to 184. Now he has to spend 50 to make 184 if we pretend that we only have one card to come...This is around 3.7:1 pot odds right? If he has an A-flush draw, he has 7 outs from 45 unseen cards. This is around 5:1 odds from flop to turn. If we consider the implied odds, he might be able to make this call since if he hit his card on the turn, he would make a little more on the turn and river ( you would probably call him down for another 25- 50 right?).

2) You go all in (you bet 187) so the pot goes up to 281. Now he has to spend 147 to make 281 for about 2:1 pot odds...Now with 5:1 odds to hit his hand, he would have to fold since he is unlikely to make up for the difference on the implied odds...

If he has a set or two pair, then his odds to upgrade to the boat are worse than on the A-flush...So there you could probably get away with the smaller raise...However, since you cant put him on any hand for sure with no preflop action, I would assume the worst, that is, that he has the A-flush and push...

Thus, your push seems ok to me...

Indiana

MEbenhoe
09-01-2004, 06:48 PM
wow just realized I made a huge mistake when figuring out the size of the pot and counted the blinds as more than they were. Regardless of that I still say push here.