PDA

View Full Version : Bally's $200NL hand that bothers me-review

KHALI
08-31-2004, 09:57 PM
I was playing at the Bally's $100 minimum $200 maximum NL table with blinds of 1/2 recently and this hand came up. The table opened within the hour and all players have close to the full stack. I've been thinking of it for awhile and wondering if I made the right decisions or if I overplayed my hand and didn't get value for it. Anyways review it and comment please.

I am in bigblind and am dealt Q2 hearts. It is limped around the table with 7 out of nine callers so obviously I check. The flop comes J84 all of hearts. I decide to bet out and play this one fast as the table is almost overly deceptive with lots of checkraising, slowplaying etc so I don't think the others will put me on flush if I go out fast(hoping they think jack). I bet out $10 and get two callers when the guy on the button raises it up to $50. I think for awhile about what he has and what the others have. I think either two pair, set, top pair with the Ace hearts kicker would be likely hands but I don't think I'm beat yet. I decide I don't want to let him draw to a better flush or boat so I raise. Here is the part that is bothering me. I decide to reraise him so I pushed in the rest of my stack which was $147 more dollars for him to call. The two callers fold and the raiser thinks for a long time and folds his two pair.
My question is was the push too much and I didn't get value for my hand or was this a good move to stop an outdraw. Is he getting good odds to hit a possible better flush(as this was what I put him on A hearts J) if I just raised him back $50 more? What about flat calling his raise and then leading out again hoping to be reraised and then putting him in if a blank hits. How would you play it and think about it.

BobboFitos
08-31-2004, 10:34 PM
You won a sizeable pot with Q2h from the bb. be happy.

That said, I *guess* you could've played it differently. Be prepared for a little fancy play syndrome, but I think this wouldn't be so bad: Just calling, allowing the guys behind you (A /images/graemlins/heart.gif ? Two pair? Who knows) to trail in behind you.

Check in the dark.

The man with two pair will bet again, charging you to draw, and thenceforth...
C/R it all in if the board doesn't pair or no other heart comes down. (Technically 8 other hearts, 9 other cards that will pair the board, so 17 outs that "beat" you so to speak, 33 other cards that are friendly) The guys behind you may call now, and you've built yourself a huge pot! (Just have to avoid those same cards on the river) If the guys behind you didn't call, thats fine, as you are extracting bets from a dude with 4 outs. If they did, I'm assuming the pot size would be > 250$, only to grow.

having said THAT, I think your way was fine, moving it on the flop. You have Q2h, this is a nice pot for your BB, be happy with it.

danstjohn
09-01-2004, 12:27 PM
I almost like semi-slowplaying it here in early position anticipating a raise on the flop if you are willing to take a risk to get more money. With 6 people behind me I would probably lead out with about a pot sized bet if I were first to act or call any bet in front of me thinking that it would be raised.

When it was raised to $50 I would have just called and checked the turn hoping it wouldn't pair anything. The raise on the flop to me indicates that he has top pair or two pair and wants you out of the hand. If that is the case then he at best has 4 outs. If he has a set he would likely push here.

If the turn is a blank he will have to bet to protect his two pair. I would check to him and then either call if he bets or raise. There are only two flush cards that beat you so even if a heart falls i'm concerned but not scared.

On the river I push and if you only had $200 to start the hand out with it probably wouldn't be much more and he would probably call with two pair unless there are 4 hearts out there.

Thats one way to do it but certainly nothing wrong with what you did on the flop.

Justin A
09-01-2004, 12:43 PM
You have to push here. Anything less gives good odds to a lone A /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Your push is the same as a pot sized raise, it gives your opponent about 2:1.

Justin A

Doubling12
09-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Agreed, plus if you only call the raise, your hand is made, so he can get away from a turn card that doesn't help him but you are in for your whole stack if it does.