PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Big Pair Limps

banditbdl
08-31-2004, 09:14 PM
So my last two multi-table tourneys I've been busted by opponents limping with big pairs, specifically KK both times. In the first instance it was a NL tourney. With the blinds at 400/800 UTG and UTG+1 both limped before it was folded to me in the SB with 6500 left and TT and everyone in having me covered. This was my third hand at the table after being moved, so I didn't have any reads yet. I pushed, BB folded, UTG folded, UTG+1 called and flipped up KK, no help for me and I was out.

In my next tourney I was playing PL and had a little over 10K with the blinds at 600/300. UTG+1 with about 18K limps, something he's done quite a bit of with what appears to be a wide range of hands. I pot it from the SB with the AT /images/graemlins/spade.gif. The BB folds and UTG+1 calls, my read is now that he doesn't have junk, but it's hard to say if I'm behind here or not. Flop comes T, 3, 2 with 2 hearts giving me TPTK. I pot it leading out. He then reraises me all-in. There's now 17.8K in the pot and it's 3.4K more for me to call. I figure I'm probably behind here, but am getting close enough to correct odds at least to gamble in an effort to score a big stack if all my outs are live. I call, he flips over KK and I get no help.

These were just two recent hands that spurned this post, but dealing with Big Pair limps is something I've struggled with for quite some time. What if any suggestions do you guys have for the way I played these hands in particular and for being aware and prepared for Big Pair limps in general?

Roman
08-31-2004, 10:09 PM
were both of these on party? It seems to be a growing trend there, just means you gotta be more carefull.

I also think you overplayed the second hand.

MissOt
08-31-2004, 10:47 PM
btw roman is referring to the pot bet in the SB with ATs being bad not the going broke with TPTK. just to clarify lol

both hands you have to go broke with it just happens. i guess you should limp with AT instead of betting pot pf but other than that just bad timing/luck.