PDA

View Full Version : Quarter Million Guaranteed Final Table Analysis

B8w
08-31-2004, 07:13 PM
My first final table summary and largest final table made, so bear with me if there's anything I missed or left out. I've indicated chip counts in parentheses for the important hands. I would really appreciate any feedback, especially with the questions in bold. My main issue with this tournament was whether I gave up some opportunities to place first by trying to gradually move up spots. The payout distribution is listed for reference.

Final Table of Party Quarter Million Guaranteed
1376 Entrants.

Relevant payout:

Starting chip counts by seat position (in thousands) are:

1) 43
2) 243
3) 365
4) 67
5) 146 (Hero)
6) 96
7) 185
8) 67
9) 85
10) 61

Blinds are 5 & 10k.

First hand Hero has K9o in CO, folded around to Hero who folds. Missed opportunity for blind steal attempt?
Hero was gunshy not wanting risk busting in 10th since SB had him covered.
SB raises BB, takes down pot pre-flop.

Several hands later Hero has AKo in MP. Folded to Hero who raises to 2.5xBB. Blinds fold. Hero is relieved.

Seat 4 (67k) pushes UTG, called by BB(365k). UTG has 33, BB has QQ. No help, 9 left.

Seat 2(189k) raises 3xBB in CO with Hero(131k) in SB with QJs. 2 has been aggressively stealing more than his fair share of blinds. Hero REALLY wants to re-raise all-in. Hero folds. Missed opportunity for re-steal?

Seat 9 (77k) raises 3xBB from EP, re-raised all-in by Seat 1 in MP(54k), 9 calls. 9 shows KJo, 1 shows QQ. 9 catches straight. 8 left.

Seat 3 (432k) raises 3xBB from MP, Hero (131k) has A10s. Hero thinks about re-raising all-in. Hero folds. Seat 5 (36k) calls, takes down pot with pocket KK. 3 shows A9o.

Seat 7 (207k) raises 4xBB from MP, all-in from SB Seat 10 (43k), BB (48k) thinks, then calls. Flop is 5 A 7 rainbow. BB checks, 7 bets 107k, BB calls. Turn is 6. BB pushes, 7 calls instantly. BB shows AJs, 7 shows A8s, 10 shows KQo. 6 left. Hero is elated!

New chip counts:

2) 524k
3) 396k
5) 131k (Hero)
6) 88k
8) 104k
9) 132k

Blinds now 7.5-15k

8 in SB (88k) pushes against just BB (98k). BB calls. 8 shows A8s, 9 shows KQo. 9 catches 4 diamond flush to win. 5 left!

2 & 3 become even more aggressive. Because of Hero's position (immediately to their left), Hero has literally 0 unraised pots until the next big hand.

6 (45k) pushes on button. 8 (115k) in SB re-raises all in. 2 in BB folds. 6 shows 66, loses to 8's AK which catches A. 4 left!

New chip counts:

2) 688k
3) 368k
5) 135k (Hero)
8) 176k

Hero is overjoyed at placing at least 4th, but 2 & 3 have commanding chip leads over Hero. Hero prays that 8th busts soon.

Hero goes a round with no cards. Best hand was 97s on button, Hero considered a push but chickened out. Mistake?

Hero (112k) pushes UTG with A8o. No call.

3 (346k) raises 3xBB on button. Hero has Q10o. Hero thinks about re-raising all-in. Hero folds. Mistake? BB folds.

Hero (112k) has Q5o on button. Hero tries to force himself to push. Alas, Hero cannot summon the courage and folds. Hero still desperately hoping 8 busts out first.

Next hand Hero (112k) has Q5o UTG. Again, Hero folds.

Another round passes, Hero never gets chance to enter un-raised pot.

New chip counts:

2) 662k
3) 391k
5) 90k (Hero)
8) 232k

Things not looking good for Hero.

Hero gets 10-9s UTG. Hero (90k) pushes, figuring cards will be live if called. 2 in SB (662k) calls, BB folds. 2 shows KJs, no help for Hero.

Game Over.

Can't help but feel that I missed opportunities to compete, especially once table became 4-handed. At that point the blinds were pounded each and every time so it was a take a stand or fold situation on every hand. Hands that I didn't mention were pretty bad, but there were some opportunities to push earlier (6, 7 handed) in MP or even LP with trash.

Any comments / criticism would be great, I can post a more detailed hand history if that would help with analysis. I really want to determine when I should play to "move up the ladder" and when I should start grabbing chips to compete for first.

gergery
08-31-2004, 07:58 PM
Congrats! $16K is a great way to console yourself if that you didn’t do better.

The payout structure seemed pretty flat, meaning that just moving up a few places was significant, so a more conservative approach was likely more warranted than a gambling approach. The cards you mentioned as being shown seemed pretty good. Maybe cards were running good there.

Early on, K9 is good steal oppty. Depends a lot on player in BB, so hard to say. I’d err on conservative side given many short stacks and flatter structure.

Early QJs, another good resteal, but he would be getting 1.6: 1 on his call AND outchips you – reasaonably likely to get called here. It’s alittle weak but I like fold there.

4-way 97s on button – I push. Good steal spot

QT, easy fold for me to raiser

Q5 on button. Easy push for me.

Q5 UTG, easy fold for me. I value position a lot here.

--Greg

B8w
08-31-2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks for feedback, one question:

You mentioned that the payout was pretty flat. I've only played at Party so I'm not familiar with other structures. How steep would payouts have to be to justify gambling for first? For instance, in this case, I was giving up what I considered a decent shot at 5.5 more in exchange for the better chance to get 38.5 more.

gergery
08-31-2004, 09:14 PM
Well, payout is relatively flat, I guess its standard for Party. Once you’re in 4th for example, you are fighting for 6k, then 7k, then 7k, then 15k. That is pretty flat increases to me. 4th to 1st is only 2.5x as good as 4th to 3rd. At WSOP main event I think it was more like 4x. If the win was, say 100k, then I’d say start gambling with coinflips+foldequity etc. – the times you’ll get the big payout of 1st outweigh the risk of ‘just’ getting 4th. But when you get 6k for moving up to 3rd but only 13k for moving up to 2nd, just moving one spot is worth a lot.

-g