PDA

View Full Version : Raise/Reraise Bet Amount Guidelines

Unarmed
08-31-2004, 02:20 PM
Silly question really...just looking for raise/reraise amount guidelines pre and post flop.
PF my raises are typically 3xBB + 1BB for each limper.
Post-flop: my flop bets are pot, turn bets 3/4 pot, and whatever on the river. (pretty sure these amounts are all standard)

What should I be using (realizing that every situation is different) as guidelines for:

Post flop raises: I've been just potting regardless of what the Villain bets.

Pre-flop reraises: Again, I've been potting but I'm thinking this probably isn't optimal.

Thanks.

fimbulwinter
08-31-2004, 03:44 PM
i'll give you a quick rundown of how i see each street, hopefully the better posters will fill in/correct me.

Preflop:
here i do my most agressive raising, i'f i'm raising with a good hand, i want to build a big pot that the opponent can't get away from when his dominated/underpair hand goes to a flop. if he bets 1 i'm raising to at least 4, especially because the bets here are small. i also get the possibility to get him to fold, which is disappointing with AA, but i'll take 0 variance and always +EV with AK all day long. at small stakes, i like the 6 BB raise, it's actually safer and more profitable (for me) than the 3/4BB raise.

Flop:
Pot's the standard for a reason. again, if you're raising, make sure you're giving him a good reason to fold. unless the pot's already huge, i like raising either pot or 3x what he bet at me, specifically the larger of the two.

Turn:
here's where it gets dicey. these bets are mostly for me semi-bluffs or bets for value; at this point i'm not making these sizes of bets for info. if it's for value, be easy so you don't lose him and you can stack him on the river, 1/2 pot or 1/2 his stack, the smaller of the two. if it's a semi bluff either push or bet pot. get him off his hand, especially if turn is a scare card.

River: situtaion dependant for sure. however, i really like the minraise here with a monster, i've gotten paid off by A high many times by minraising his river bluff when i flop a boat etc.

hope i helped
fim

Unarmed
09-01-2004, 08:15 AM
Thanks, that's helpful.
Any other opinions here?

I'm finding a large percentage of the errors people are correcting on these boards pertain to raise/reraise $$ amounts.

Ghazban
09-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Well, in the most general sense, you want to raise the amount that will make your opponent fold the correct percentage of the time.

Preflop, I'll usually triple the raise in front of me if I want to reraise (so if its .25/.50 blinds and someone raises to $2, I'll reraise to $6). If there's a cold caller in the middle, that changes things. If I really want to get headup against the original raiser, I'll raise more and, if my hand can do well multiway, I'll just call along, even if it was a hand I would've reraised with had there not been a caller in the middle. This is also very player dependent, as some people will call the raise and then fold to any kind of reraise, even a minimum reraise.

On the flop, when somebody bets the minimum and I would've bet the pot if it were checked to me, I'll just make a bet about the size of the pot before the minbetter (and any callers) came in. If a real bet is made in front of me and I want to raise, the pot is probably getting pretty close to my stack size (particularly with the 50xBB stacks on Party) and I'll often just push it in there. With deep stacks, a raise of about 3 times the original bet is a pretty good rule of thumb but, as with anything else in this game, its player dependent.

fimbulwinter
09-01-2004, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, in the most general sense, you want to raise the amount that will make your opponent fold the correct percentage of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know about this, i think your raises should give an opponent a reason to fold, but you certainly don't want him making the correct fold, you want him calling with terrible odds to chase. you'd want him to fold to small bets (where he has odds to chase) and call large ones, (where he doesn't). ToP dictates that an opponent not getting pot/implied odds to chase his flush is paying you when he calls a large bet, but you're ok if he folds, even though it was the correct play on his part and thus did not make you money.

Ghazban
09-01-2004, 01:06 PM
That's not how I meant it. In general, you want to bet or raise roughly the same amount regardless of your holdings so that your play isn't too transparent (this is actually debatable at low stakes online games where players join and leave the game often and don't pay any attention to what other people are doing). Therefore, you should raise an amount that, for your range of raising hands and bluffs, he folds enough so that your bluffs are profitable but not so much that your good hands aren't getting called enough.

JohnG
09-01-2004, 07:47 PM
You'll not go far wrong with the pot size raises.

chaz64
09-02-2004, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Preflop, I'll usually triple the raise in front of me if I want to reraise (so if its .25/.50 blinds and someone raises to $2, I'll reraise to $6).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just wondering about this - if the aim is to give poor odds to the blinds, wouldn't doubling the first raise be enough (reraise to $4, in this case)?

But the original raiser would be getting decent odds then...never mind.