PDA

View Full Version : AKo Preflop -- Post Flop

josie_wales
08-31-2004, 01:59 PM
Hello All,

Party $2BB game.

About the 3rd rotation I am at the table. Folded to MP1(seems like an average player....Playing about 40% of his hands in the 3 rotations Ive seen him) who raise to $5, and I am in MP2 with A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif

I make it $10 to go, and MP1 is the only caller.

QUESTION 1: How do you like this raise? To little? Should I limp?

The flop comes: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif

He checks to me, and I bet $25 into the $23 pot.

He Check-Raises me to $50.

QUESTION #2: Your move?

Josie Wales

dmk
08-31-2004, 02:06 PM
Not enough information. Stack sizes? If you want to re-raise pre-flop, I think it should be larger, probably around 15 total, otherwise just call.

schwza
08-31-2004, 02:11 PM
i'm gonna assume you have around 100, cause it's a $2BB party game.

i like to reraise AK before the flop. if i wind up all-in for 50BB's or less, so be it. i'd make it about 18 to go here. your tiny raise gives away you have a good hand but doesn't charge the villain to play against it.

the typical advice for better players/deeper stacks is to cold-call AK in position.

i'd bet 20 instead of 25 on the flop. clearly not a big deal. when he check-raises, you have an easy push.

josie_wales
08-31-2004, 04:37 PM
Gee...I thought I put the stack sizes in the original post...woops /images/graemlins/blush.gif

He has me covered to start the hand at $115 - $100

Chris Daddy Cool
08-31-2004, 05:32 PM
only hand you're reasonably behind is TT and even against that at least you have outs. With short stacks you have to push I would think.

MrFroggyX
08-31-2004, 06:49 PM
Tuff one.. I hate those kinds off hands.. TPTK or Two Pair against possible Set.

Anyway, to your questions:

QUESTION 1: I would raise to around $15.

QUESTION 2: Well I don't think you can get away from this hand. (In case he have AA or KK). He bet only 2.5xBB pre-flop and called your raise. Then on the flop he check raise you the minimum. It screams monster in my head! I can't see one hand you are ahead off. The only one would be JJ or QQ. A good poker player would probably fold. But I would push.. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

This hand is why I hate party's 50xBB blinds because you get pretty much pot committed if you call his flop raise. If you had deeper stacks you could get away from the hand on the Turn if he bet's again or if you don't improve.

josie_wales
09-01-2004, 07:05 AM
I insta-pushed when he check raised me.

I figured that the only hands I was behind = AA/KK(not likely), QJ (not likely UTG) or TT (most likley, but I have outs)

He had TT and no help came for me.

JW

Daann
09-01-2004, 07:16 AM
I'd reraise more preflop or call. After that, there is little you can do, you are going to get stacked on the flop.

josie_wales
09-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys.

I will take note of either (a) Raising more prelop (would he have folded anyway? If so to how much?)

(b) I was bound to get stacked.

This I am not sure of....Could I have gotten away from it? I mean, I reraise an UTG raiser (I have a big hand) I bet pot on the flop (I have a hand)....Despite this, he check raises me to an amount that I almost have to call...He wants me to call, doesnt he?

What hand would he have played this way other than TT?

Could I have released?
Could you have?

JW

knucklehead
09-01-2004, 11:41 AM
This is hindsight. He cold calls and then checks to you after the flop, does this indicate a slow play? If yes, you try to check it down hoping to catch the boat??? WOULD THIS BE WEAK?

Daann
09-01-2004, 01:01 PM
To be honest, the first thing I thought when I saw this hand was that he had TT. Against a good player, you are either splitting or way behind (or its a complete bluff).

I'm still not laying this down without any reads though.