PDA

View Full Version : How do you define bankroll?

Cleveland Guy
08-31-2004, 01:32 PM
Is it the money you currently have in your poker account at each site?

The total you have at all your various poker sites?

Or the total available funds you could "afford" to spend on poker?

I'm a casual player - so for me it's the last choice.

I tend to cash out winnings weekly if I have them, knowing if I run bad I can re-deposit. I reset to just over 100BB if I'm above it, but have "allowable" funds of about 400BB

Just wondering how others do it, and if my thinking is flawed?

Warior
08-31-2004, 01:37 PM
Bankroll at least in the sense that I use it is "the entire sum set aside strictly for poker." It is rarely deducted from as I am working to increase limits.

TheBong
08-31-2004, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it the money you currently have in your poker account at each site?

The total you have at all your various poker sites?

Or the total available funds you could "afford" to spend on poker?

I'm a casual player - so for me it's the last choice.

I tend to cash out winnings weekly if I have them, knowing if I run bad I can re-deposit. I reset to just over 100BB if I'm above it, but have "allowable" funds of about 400BB

Just wondering how others do it, and if my thinking is flawed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your bankroll is all the money you have specifically set aside for the purpose of poker. Don't "allow" yourself extra money, take a legitimate bankroll of 300 BB for limit, or 15-20 buyins for NL games, and play off it. If the money is allowable set yourself up to make your best and more importantly, most comfortable, earn.

If you're a winning player you'll thank yourself because you'll be playing in the most comfortable game for your level, you'll know exactly how much you can withdraw and leave yourself with a "sufficient" bankroll, and you'll have a much better idea about possible moves in stakes, etc.

I mean 100BB isn't technically impossible, but a bad swing will take it out. And there's nothing worse than the psychological feeling of having to reload your account during a swing. At that point anything that worsens your mental outlook is bad. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's just my opinion of course, but I think you should clearly define yourself a bankroll and work your way up methodically from there, improving it as you go.

Cleveland Guy
08-31-2004, 03:37 PM
I keep work for a bank, and I'm pretty solid/responsible financially (if I might say).

I keep seperate records of my poker earnings/losses.

Maybe it's just that I prefer to keep my bankroll in my savings account. Part of it is an anti tilt measure for my own safety.

I set myself up to only allow 1 deposit per week, so if I have a bad week I'm forced to take a break and it keeps me off tilt.

I'm just curious as to others thoughts on what they do and why.

TheBong
08-31-2004, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I keep work for a bank, and I'm pretty solid/responsible financially (if I might say).

I keep seperate records of my poker earnings/losses.

Maybe it's just that I prefer to keep my bankroll in my savings account. Part of it is an anti tilt measure for my own safety.

I set myself up to only allow 1 deposit per week, so if I have a bad week I'm forced to take a break and it keeps me off tilt.

I'm just curious as to others thoughts on what they do and why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could also use Neteller as an impromptu Savings account? <shrug>