PDA

View Full Version : Bluffs

08-23-2002, 04:59 PM
Playing in a 15-30 game last night...I started playing hold'em approx 5 months ago, I have made enough money at the 5-10 to play at the 15-30 game for the last few weeks and have been doing pretty well there also, I made 2 bluffs and showed at the end to get called down more laterr on in the night. On one hand I showed 8,9h for a 9 high, the player I bluffed out said my 9 high was good, because he was playing 5,6 suited...I could not have said anything but I thought I would embarass him and I told him there was a 6 onthe board pretty loud so everyone at the table could hear it, he then tyried to say he didn't see the 6 on board, my plan was to basically make him try and run me down later on as pay back, it worked in reverse and he chased me on some hands he shouldn't have and caught, but I still liked the fact I got him to start chasing, does anyone else do things like this at the table to try anf throw people off of thier game?? I find it works well for me because I am only 19 and don't get much respect, good move or bad making enemies?

08-23-2002, 05:16 PM
My guess is from the description of your playing style you are getting exactly the correct amount of respect for your game.

Better luck in the future,

Jimbo

08-23-2002, 05:42 PM
Bad bad idea. Your successful bluffs win pots while your good hands (which come to infrequently anyways) only make one or two extra bets. Additionally, when you embarrass someone, they want to play better... perhaps only against you.

A couple of weeks back, I played a hand with AKs suited. I raised pre-flop and someone reraised behind me all-in. There were two other callers, and I acted first of the two remaining players. The flop came Q-high with a two flush on board (not my suit). I check-called with my overcards given the pot size, intending to make a play for the pot on the turn if the flush card hit (the other player folded to the flop bet). Sure enough, the flush card hits, and I check-raise my opponent. He thinks for a bit, studies me, and then folds. The final card comes a K in the flush suit. I am forced to show because of the all-in player, and when the dealer read my hand, "pair of kings," the folding player shook his head and pointed at me muttering under his breath. The all-in player had offsuit rags with one of the flush suit and he took down the main pot. I felt that I had ruined the light-hearted nature of the game, and I packed up and left shortly thereafter.

08-23-2002, 07:02 PM
I don't show my bluffs because I think a tight image is better at hold 'em than an image as a bluffer. I only let 'em know I bluffed when they call me down and I have to show. I want to be able to take advantage of scare cards and have them lay down when they shouldn't. I don't think they need much encouragement to chase when they shouldn't.

Embarrassing another player is always wrong. Making enemies at the table is always wrong. Embarrassing another human being is almost always wrong. Making enemies of another human being is almost always wrong.

08-23-2002, 07:44 PM
In the long run you will make much more money if you never show a bluff than by showing them. You should put some thought into why this is.