PDA

View Full Version : AKo UTG+1

bisonbison
08-31-2004, 11:25 AM
No read on UTG. The Button is in over half his hands and has not raised preflop in my 40 hands with him.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $3.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (11.33 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.66 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero folds...

Comments on the first turn call? The turn fold? The flop raise?

chio
08-31-2004, 11:33 AM
i don't think folding to the first bet on the turn is out of the question, even getting 9-1 or so

you are definitely behind, with UTG's stop and go, as well as 2 cold callers of your flop raise to act behind you, and the turn card could have easily completed 2 pair and straight draws

you most likely do not have 6 clean outs, you won't get the max if an A or K is good and hits, and you have no backdoor draws

i do like the fold after the turn raise, if i was in the hand, i probably would have played the same and said "ugh", i hate getting trapped like this

David BB
08-31-2004, 11:37 AM
The flop raise is fine - but the buttons cold call is unfortunate of course.

The turn call is fine getting 1 to 9 or so, and theres no reason to think your 6 outs aren't good. But when the button raises you're probably in trouble. Its really hard to tell at this point if calling one more bet is +EV. If it is its probably marginal at best. UTG might even re-raise and you would be in real trouble! I'd cut my losses and fold here too.

Noodles
08-31-2004, 11:38 AM
im wondering what the UTG had,bets out on every street,did the 9 give him something on the turn,did he have a9s,99??
Doubtful he had 99 though,or maybe he just called as wa afraid of a str8 or something
I didnt like the turn call by our hero,would love to know results!

Trix
08-31-2004, 11:40 AM
I probably just call the flop, intending to dump it on the turn. If I had a club, then I would probably raise.

sublime
08-31-2004, 12:20 PM
The flop I can go either way, but I am folding once I am bet into on the turn.

bisonbison
08-31-2004, 12:22 PM
The flop I can go either way, but I am folding once I am bet into on the turn.

Yeah, I think the button's raise let me make the decision again and realize that I was likely way behind.

TheHip41
08-31-2004, 12:25 PM
Pre flop - good. On the flop, I'd raise to try and get it heads up. You might be up against JJ, QQ, AK, AQ, AJ, crap like that /images/graemlins/smile.gif Once the button calls the flop raise, I'm in shut down mode. When the turn is a blank, and UTG bets again, I'm done with this hand. You know the Button has 'something', and UTG sure likes his hand alot. I cant see him pushing AK or AQ like this. At best you have 6 outs on the river. I fold to the first turn bet. Since you called, easy fold when it gets back to you. You are probably drawing dead.

Derek

sublime
08-31-2004, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I think the button's raise let me make the decision again and realize that I was likely way behind.

I think seeing you raise the flop makes me think of other ways to play in this situation (i prob just call with no club) and maybe calling is a tad passive.

Going to far with AKo is probably one of the last "loose" habits most of us lose.

Victor
08-31-2004, 12:33 PM
Hi Bison,

I like the flop raise as it is fairly standard. However, I would give it up on the turn to the first raise.

Fnord
08-31-2004, 12:34 PM
A raise here is pretty standard for me. Who knows what UTG has, you might be ahead and you might fold out the button and be able to check-through the Turn or River.

Barry
08-31-2004, 12:57 PM
If UTG is a thinking type, he may suspect that you would raise overcards and flat call a big pair on the flop, since that is what many folks would do. If he has a pair, QQ or less he might check an A or K on the turn, but decide to bet a safe card. He might 3 bet AA or KK on the flop. He also could be betting his AQ or AK to get you to fold your AK. Then again, he might be a moron and all this goes out the window.

I think that your call on the turn getting 9:1 is OK if you were heads up. The presence of the button cold calling your raise would be troublesome, if he were a decent player, but since you describe him as weak, I still think that it's OK, if marginal, here. Obviously, you need to fold to his raise.

So what were you thinking?