PDA

View Full Version : Set of Tens heads up on a 4 flush board

Eihli
08-31-2004, 09:41 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>

I can fold here right?

NUReedy
08-31-2004, 09:59 AM
No. If following SSH advice, a check/call would be here correct. I believe he only has to be bluffing at least one out of 9.25 times for a call here to be profitable. This is Millers section about the big mistake of folding for one more bet even if you believe you are beat.

bdk3clash
08-31-2004, 10:23 AM
I think you should have 3-bet the turn. Even against a made flush you have ten outs to pull ahead by the river, and when you factor in the chance you're ahead (he could be semi-bluffing a high /images/graemlins/spade.gif), I'd 3-bet. I might be wrong, but I see this turn raise all the time with a pair + A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, or two pair, or even top pair crappy kicker, no /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Of course, getting capped would kind of suck.

Anyway, as you played the turn, I'd lean toward betting the river and folding to a raise.

Having checked, I'd call getting 9.25:1 to close the action. People get frisky, and I don't think calling here is a huge mistake, even if it is -EV.

Additionally, although I'm not much for "table-image plays", particularly in online games, I do what I can to discourage my opponents from scare-card bluffing or taking shots at me, particularly with plays that have a good chance at succeeding against me or that encourage more optimal bluffing frequency against me.

Check out this awesome essay (http://www.twoplustwo.com/mmessay23.html) by Mason Malmuth for a much, much better explanation of this concept.

EDIT: For some reason I linked to my "Bad SS posts" post instead of the intended MM essay. Link fixed.

MRBAA
08-31-2004, 10:33 AM
Excellent post. Hope we have a chance to play together sometime soon. Sounds like your game has moved to a new level.