PDA

View Full Version : 3 bet with AQo

08-23-2002, 01:55 AM
My nemeses in this hand were previously unknown to me, so there's no scouting report.

UTG limps, UTG+1 raises. I'm next and reraise with AdQc.

It's folded to the BB who calls. UTG folds and raiser calls.

Flop: As Ts 8h

Checked to me, I bet. BB and UTG+1 call.

Turn: [As Ts 8h] Js

BB checks, UTG+1 bets and I fold.

Comments?

08-23-2002, 02:35 AM
The subject of playing AQo when someone else raises has been beaten to death on this forum. Suffice to say that I muck AQo when most opponents raise early. I refer you to John Feeney's book. Against maniacal opponents, three-bet, but since this was an unknown raiser, I think you have a fold. Having taken the flop for three bets, I think betting the flop is fine. When the original raiser bets a scary turn card into two opponents, it probably represents a hand that is all over one pair. I think you were right to fold.

08-23-2002, 02:47 AM
I'm not looking to start a playing AQo for a raise debate.

I didn't mention in my first post that I raised by accident. The hand was actually online and I pressed the raise button without noticing that someone else had raised. That's what I get for watching TV while I play. /images/smile.gif

08-23-2002, 03:21 AM
That's something that you might have mentioned in the original post. Otherwise, guys like me are going to focus on the pre-flop play. /images/smile.gif That's also part of why I don't play for money on-line: I usually have my brain only partially engaged when I'm sitting in front of this thing. You can see my other posts for more evidence of this.

08-23-2002, 03:27 AM
UTG+1 probably just picked up a draw with QsQx (or possibly KsKx) and bet the scare card hoping you would make a weak-tight fold. I think there is very little chance that he just made a hand such as a flush, straight, or set of Jacks.

08-23-2002, 04:12 AM
I think you have a fairly easy fold before the flop. One of the reasons for this, which you probably didn't consider, is that there are still many players yet to act, and a better hand than your AQ, if it is not already in play, can be behind you.

Best wishes,

mason

08-23-2002, 04:14 AM
I agree with Dynasty here. He may have the best hand. In fact, he may have the best hand the majority of the time. But given the size of the pot, and the possibility that he is playing the hand as Dynasty describes, you need to call.

MM

08-23-2002, 10:42 AM
Fold preflop.

What is it that you do not understand about folding in this situation? Ego?

Vince

08-23-2002, 10:42 AM
Mason, so this is a situation where you would fold A-Q? I do agree with a call on the turn--I would call it down.

I don't know of many (except you) who would ever fold A-Q preflop.

08-23-2002, 12:14 PM
I think that folding AQo in that spot is easy. I would have folded in a heartbeat.

08-23-2002, 12:27 PM

08-23-2002, 01:31 PM
I should have mentioned in my first post, I actually raised by accident. I wrote that in my resonse to Andy B. Thanks for the help anyway.

08-23-2002, 01:34 PM
I glad the converstion didn't focus completely on my preflop play. I should have mentioned in my first post that I raised by accident. /images/smile.gif

I didn't feel very good about my turn fold, I'm also happy to hear that most of you didn't like it either.

08-23-2002, 07:47 PM

08-24-2002, 12:16 AM
If you feel that I was mean, I apologize. My intent should be clear. This A,Q issue has been run through the ringer many times here on this forum. I would think that the reason behind playing A,Q as I suggested in the situation that you described is very clear. I responded as I did only for emphasis.

Vince

08-24-2002, 12:56 PM