PDA

View Full Version : # of lifetime hands from quads and straight-flushes

reid savid
08-31-2004, 06:55 AM
Anyone want to figure out an estimation of the number of hands in a lifetime from how many quads(using both cards) and straight-flushes a player accumulates in hold'em(I don't)?
7 quads and 1 straight-flush

thanks

Rudbaeck
08-31-2004, 10:41 AM
When you see a flop with a pocket pair you are a 407:1 dog to flop quads.

With the full range suited connectors (ie JTs-54s) you are a 4899:1 dog on flopping a straight flush.

Both odds come from Mike Caro's long shot flops (http://www.poker1.com/mcu/tables/Table26.asp).

Obviously if you stay til the river you make some more, but I didn't find odds on that anywhere in my links.

I generally make quads atleast once in a long day of playing. Which is ~2000 hands or so 4-tabling online. I've once in over 60k hands lost with quads, and that was quad 6s against a straight flush.

tubbyspencer
08-31-2004, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you see a flop with a pocket pair you are a 407:1 dog to flop quads.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I generally make quads atleast once in a long day of playing. Which is ~2000 hands or so 4-tabling online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you played every pocket pair dealt to you, in every position, no matter what the betting was before you, I don't think you'd flop quads once every 2000 hands. That would make the odds of a PP about 1 in 5. The odds of being dealt any pair are slightly more than 3 times that unlikely. 16 to 1 I think.

Rudbaeck
08-31-2004, 05:05 PM
You're probably right, I didn't give it very much thought. Regardless, quads aren't exceedingly rare.

To be exact I've had quads 26 times in the last 28,493 hands. This is the month of August. I've had 3 straight flushes and my lifes only royal. (I think I've been running hot on the quads.)

Either early this month or late July I lost with quad 6s to a straight flush.

AncientPC
09-09-2004, 10:04 PM
32,000 hands.

26 quads.
3 straight flushes.
1 royal flush (sadly in a .5/1 game).

I've gotten 8 quads this month out of 9,353 hands.

TomCollins
09-10-2004, 04:38 PM
I had quads twice yesterday, and I don't even play as much as a lot of people. It's not that rare. You may not flop quads often, but you have two cards to get quads from flopped trips, and it is rare to fold flopped trips.