PDA

View Full Version : What to do if you're broke

07-19-2002, 09:23 PM
Some big name like Chip reese,Huck seed,jennifer harmon can find backer or borrow money. What to do if you're no name but a very good player.

07-19-2002, 09:40 PM

07-19-2002, 09:46 PM
Three choices: earn it, steal it, or borrow it.

07-19-2002, 10:18 PM
Borrow from who?

07-19-2002, 11:25 PM
Railbird- I don't know you or the details of your circumstances but the fact that you are broke means you need to evaluate your strategy going forward. As far as backing is concerned, unless you have a good buddy, I don't know anyone who would "back" a stranger without a proven track record. Good Luck. Babe

07-19-2002, 11:51 PM
Scrape together $300...Borrow/Cash Advance a credit card, collect bottles and recycle, go through your friends couch cushions. etc...

If you are a "real good" no-name player hit the online microlimits.

After about 500 hrs you should be up to about a grand(including your original $300).

Onto the $2-$4 game, again this should be beatable for over a bb/hr, so after 300 hours your up to a $2.2k bankroll....Not a bad start. Now you are ready for a $4-$8 or maybe even an $5-$10. Before ya know it you'll be at the $80-$160.

07-20-2002, 12:42 AM

07-20-2002, 04:10 AM

07-20-2002, 11:26 AM

07-20-2002, 05:01 PM
Take your last $25$ and walk over to the Spearmint Rhino and get yourself a beer and a Table dance from the largest breasted women in the joint.Cherish every second of it.It will be the last bit of happiness in your life for a long long time.........*sniff*

07-20-2002, 07:24 PM

07-21-2002, 04:41 AM

07-21-2002, 04:44 AM

07-21-2002, 07:58 AM

07-21-2002, 08:24 PM
Get your self a cardboard sign and go stand at a suitable streetcorner/off-on ramp.Busted poker players have that down & out look so your probably OK there.Avoid shaving for a couple days and wear dirty jeans.What would really boost your returns would be a 9-10 yo kid to stand there with you,since school is out recruiting one should be fairly easy.Be sure to prepare a background story for when someone talks to you and also to deflect offers of food,work,and directions to help agencies.

Actually this sort of stuff has a rich history.It was central to one of the Sherlock Holmes cases(I forget the title though) and a school for panhandling existed in NYC in the 80's(still does for all I know).

Good luck buddy

07-21-2002, 08:50 PM
You're in a tough spot but if you get through it it just might make you stronger. Do what you have to do and after you are solid and winning again consider putting Vince in the $300-$600.

07-22-2002, 02:18 PM

07-23-2002, 06:47 AM
This is how it works if you want to be the best railbird you can be. The professional railbird will go to the major and semi-major poker tournaments and get to know the toruney players. Especially the ones with money! Then go up to the ones with money. Then when they see rich guys take down a big pot they go up to them and say you are the best. Rub there shoulders and stroke there egos. Then tell them whatever game is going on in the side that you want to play that its your best game and everybody is giving there money away. He'll give you a few hundred either because he is not aware yet that there is a reason your broke and it might have to do with your play. Or to just leave him alone. Then take the money into the game you wanted to play distribute the money around the table unitl your broke. Then tell everybody at the table they all suck and that you can't believe you don't have every chip on the table then go back under the rock you came from unitl tomorrow. And repeat this process everyday and you will be a professional railbird. If your looking for a pro railbird to emulate go to the touneys and ask for Abner. Or just listen for rumbling as he will be in some kind of arguement. Everybody knows when he's in the the room. He is the king railbird. He will someday be put into the railbird hall of fame. You can strive to be the best but you'll always be second best as long as he's in town.

07-28-2002, 11:35 PM
I was at the WSOP for the first time this year. Within my first 20 minutes upstairs where the satellites were running I knew who Abner was. He kept running back in during a "time out" he got for bad behavior, and the security guard kept making him leave again. He was in a $300 satellite with me as well as next to me in a super (the only 2 i played lucky me!!!). I obviously knew his demeanor and such but I didn't realize he was the king. I feel honored!