PDA

View Full Version : Does PStars know Party Poker exists?

Sponger15SB
08-30-2004, 11:39 PM
<font color="green"> PokerStars News and Updates </font>
<font color="red"> $300,000 guarenteed event sets records </font>

The monthly $500 buy-in event today shattered records, with 961 players competing for $480,500 in prize money. This event is now the largest regularly-scheduled tournament online!

oh really?

http://www.partypoker.com/news/index.html#mdt

RiverMel
08-30-2004, 11:49 PM
They said "regularly scheduled."

mmcd
08-31-2004, 08:14 AM
Same schedule.

Stars 500 is once a month,

Party's 600 is once a month.

fluff
08-31-2004, 01:09 PM
Of course they don't know Party exists, otherwise they would copy Party's business model and start getting some fishies to play their ring games.

They surpass Party in just about every parameter (better software, much better support, lower rake, better loyalty scheme), but they can't even get half the people Party has.

The_Tracker
08-31-2004, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course they don't know Party exists, otherwise they would copy Party's business model and start getting some fishies to play their ring games.

They surpass Party in just about every parameter (better software, much better support, lower rake, better loyalty scheme), but they can't even get half the people Party has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this is most certainly a result of the TV ads PartyPoker runs during the WPT. I have NEVER seen PokerStars on TV.
Fish will find PP, people that do a little more research into their hobby will find others.

fluff
08-31-2004, 01:30 PM
A part of it, sure. Nothing stopping them from doing their own adds using the same trick that Party does (advertising a play money site to get around the ban on gambling adds).

On top of that, Party benefits a lot from having skins backed by large sport betting sites such as Intertops and Eurobet. Also their affiliate scheme is getting tons of people to advertise for them. If you go to any Poker related website, you can just about guarantee you'll find a Party link. Not so much for PStars.

PStars is the Apple of the online poker world, while Party is the Microsoft.

Gronk
08-31-2004, 03:23 PM
Don't forget the fireworks and applause when you win a hand on party. That's just good times.

Sponger15SB
08-31-2004, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget the fireworks and applause when you win a hand on party. That's just good times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah I admit it, I like keeping the sound on, makes me feel all good inside.

High rake? who cares, I'd rather see fireworks than Moneymaker and Raymers ugly mug every time I log on.

Greg (FossilMan)
08-31-2004, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
see ... Raymers ugly mug every time I log on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just try to shake my hand. I dare you.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

fnurt
08-31-2004, 04:49 PM
Now THERE is a man who knows how to exploit his table image.

Sponger15SB
08-31-2004, 05:24 PM
I'd much rather shake Mike Matusow's than yours.

balkii
08-31-2004, 10:02 PM
screw the applause. I got a .wav file that makes the cash register sound instead, its friggin sweet.

LinusKS
08-31-2004, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A part of it, sure. Nothing stopping them from doing their own adds using the same trick that Party does (advertising a play money site to get around the ban on gambling adds).

On top of that, Party benefits a lot from having skins backed by large sport betting sites such as Intertops and Eurobet. Also their affiliate scheme is getting tons of people to advertise for them. If you go to any Poker related website, you can just about guarantee you'll find a Party link. Not so much for PStars.

PStars is the Apple of the online poker world, while Party is the Microsoft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their affiliate scam is costing them a ton of money - and I'm not sure it's a good long-term plan. Eventually they'll wind up giving up a third of their rake for nothing (witness all the folks advertising for affiliates on this site alone).

Stars could - and should - do a much better job competing on price, though. Or at the very least they could improve their (crappy) reward program.

BigBaitsim (milo)
09-01-2004, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Their affiliate scam is costing them a ton of money - and I'm not sure it's a good long-term plan. Eventually they'll wind up giving up a third of their rake for nothing (witness all the folks advertising for affiliates on this site alone).

Stars could - and should - do a much better job competing on price, though. Or at the very least they could improve their (crappy) reward program.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fishies don't pay any attention to rake. Many of these guys are the same ones who routinely tip $3 to the dealer at a 3/6 table and are playing mostly for fun and to try to be Fossilman. So the rake doesn't matter to the fish, who don't even notice it. Most 2+2ers seem to hate the rake and the software, but better to fish there than at the PStars rock garden (although I suspect PStars will get fishier post-WSOP).

Wiscer
09-01-2004, 01:39 AM
PStars does not accept new affiliates anymore, at least that's what they told me when I applied to have my web site registered (as of a month ago). None of the other sites seem to think they have enough players, but PStars does?

Wiscer
09-01-2004, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that Stars Frequent Player Points actually have a lot of value as buy ins to their WSOP, WPT, etc qualifiers.

What does Party offer? I'm not aware they even HAVE a program...

ihaterivers
09-01-2004, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What does that mean?

coffeecrazy1
09-01-2004, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What does that mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose that it means that Sponger could Double Dare, and then Raymer would either have to answer the dare, or take the physical challenge.

Either way, I suppose it means that the world champion got a little ruffled.

ohgeetee
09-01-2004, 11:02 AM
I think it is more likely that Greg was kidding around. This forum seems to lack the sense of humor that most others have.

Come over to the WPT forum and poke fun at the crybaby matusow.

Thythe
09-01-2004, 11:14 AM
haha coffee, that show was awesome.

drewjustdrew
09-01-2004, 03:37 PM
More like Pstars is the betamax and Party is the VHS.

Stars was here first and is a better product.
Party has better marketing for mass distribution.

jagoff
09-01-2004, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haha coffee, that show was awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

The host of the original show, Mark Summers (I think), had a really bad case of OCD. He couldn't leave the house because he kept cleaning it. On top of that he became a germophobe. Talk about striking lighning twice on the same show. The "gack" they used to spill everywhere and kids with runny noses. Now THAT is comedy!!

Sponger15SB
09-01-2004, 03:52 PM
When you posted that he had OCD I though yaaa rite that sounds so fake, search for it on yahoo and it turns out its true!

how weird.

Tyler Durden
09-02-2004, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose that it means that Sponger could Double Dare, and then Raymer would either have to answer the dare, or take the physical challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post of the decade. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TakeMeToTheRiver
09-02-2004, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What does that mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

[snip]

Either way, I suppose it means that the world champion got a little ruffled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I believe Mr. Raymer was just referring to his own refusal to shake Matusow's hand at the WSOP after being insulted by the Mouth... now he won't shake the Sponge dude's hand either. I don't know if he was actually "ruffled" (but that picture certainly ain't flattering).

theghost
09-02-2004, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What does that mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are still triple dares and triple-dog dares before any physical challenge comes into play.

Sponger15SB
09-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Well either way I must figure out a way to take a picture of me and greg shaking hands (I'm sure he does a few of these every time he goes out.... or at least will). Then bump this thread in a few months when it does happen with the picture attached, ooo the joke will be on him then....

bunky9590
09-03-2004, 06:51 PM
than that Hand shaking comment above was the comment to Mike after the big hand while hes steaming.

"Thanks for busting me Mike."

I swear it was the exact thing that came to my mind.
He made a big deal about calling with the "best hand", He may have had the best hand but was certain;y not the faorite when the $$ went in.

Nice play.

Gregg

coffeecrazy1
09-03-2004, 11:16 PM
And in the Coincidence section of the news, I saw Mike M. and Sam Grizzle playing $400/800 at the Bellagio last week. I guess that's not that big of a deal, but hey, I don't see known poker players very often.

SomethingClever
09-04-2004, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, that's why I play there!

Alobar
09-04-2004, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd much rather shake Mike Matusow's than yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, isnt he the pussy that cried like a baby when he busted?

driller
09-06-2004, 08:42 AM
I don't think pstars has the equivalent of igmpay, which makes it easy to deposit/cash out at party.