PDA

View Full Version : QQ out of position to a reraise... flop some aces

SpiderMnkE
08-30-2004, 11:35 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($50.35)
Button ($32)
Hero ($49)
BB ($89.45)
UTG ($111.25)
MP ($53.65)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $7</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, Hero calls $3.

Flop: ($16) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $7.5</font>, BB ??

I'm not sure what I'm ahead of here... but I stabbed in confusion.

BobboFitos
08-30-2004, 11:49 PM
Flop: ($16) A, 5, A (2 players)
Hero bets $7.5, BB ??

I'm not sure what I'm ahead of here... but I stabbed in confusion.

You're ahead of every hand, except for...
Those that dont contain an ace
Pocket 5s
Pocket Ks

I dont think you *actually* mean what you are ahead of, but...
I think leading into him isn't the best option here. If he calls, you dont know where you are on the turn. (Unless a Q lands!) If he raises, easy enough, you're done with it.

The problem is I dont think he lays down any ace here, and he may call or raise with KK. I doubt he had 55, given he reraised you preflop. So I dont think he folds anything you have beaten.

Thats not a "bad" flop though. He could have KQ (I guess? Is he loose?) perhaps JJ?

Honestly, if he has KK, this is an opportunity to outplay him, but you're bleeding chips most of the time.

GimmeDaWatch
08-31-2004, 06:22 AM
This is pretty player dependent as well, and it would be helpful to know what sort of hands he does these mini re-raises with. You cant take a shot at the pot if you like, but there's a pretty good chance he's holding an A here and even if he's not and he calls, youre a sitting duck when you check the turn. Anyway, what happened?

Daann
08-31-2004, 07:36 AM
If you want to bluff him out, then check raise rather than bet into him, it screams that you have an A.

SpiderMnkE
08-31-2004, 08:16 AM
I don't think he reraises with AK. I think he has AA or KK.... with a small chance of QQ or JJ.

If he has any of the hands other than AA... my bet is scary because my play really looks like an ace.

Daann
08-31-2004, 08:30 AM
A standard muppet would check raise/check call with an A, I'd be less likely to believe a bet. If I was your opponent, then I would just call your bet on the flop and see what you did on the turn.

SpiderMnkE
08-31-2004, 08:51 AM
Well.. I'd have to fire again on the turn I guess.

I mean... I'm threatening to fire fire fire at this guy and it is likely that he is happy about that prospect given the typical reraise hands that he would have. And I will find out where I'm at on the turn for sure if he has me beat... although that could be somewhat expensive.

Daann
08-31-2004, 09:08 AM
It all comes down to how your opponent thinks trip aces should be played, which is determined by the lines he sees when playing. In the games I play (UB $0.5/1), I generally see people check call flop, min check raise the turn or check raise the flop if they had an A. Betting into the raiser doesn't really happen with that sort of hand. So if I was to try to bluff out KK (which I would have to say is his most likely holding), I would mimic that. It might be different on Party, I don't know.

SpiderMnkE
08-31-2004, 09:22 AM
So are you saying there is a chance that he is willing to call me down the whole way because I bet into him.

I dunno... now I have no idea what the right play is here. I guess it's possibly player dependent.

Daann
08-31-2004, 09:27 AM
Basically yeah, I reckon that there is more chance of that happening when you bet into him than when you check raise him. But you are right, it is totally player dependant.

Wayfare
08-31-2004, 09:33 AM
The right play on the PP50 tables I have played is check fold the flop.

SpiderMnkE
08-31-2004, 10:31 AM
So even though I could be ahead... or the A could be a great scare card... you say I should just give in to position and let him have it.

Ghazban
08-31-2004, 10:40 AM
I would check raise the flop. If he comes over the top, its easy to fold with the knowledge that he almost definitely has you beat badly. If he just checks behind, I'd again check the turn with the plan of raising (unless a king falls, in which case, I'd probably check and fold). If he calls your check raise at any time, you are probably beat (Other than JJ, I can't think of any holding a reasonable opponent could have that QQ is ahead of here). Maybe this is a weak play, but you'll either get away fairly cheaply or win a small pot. You're not going to go broke in any case.