PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat Successful Hand Protection...Now What?

Holm Fries
08-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Just finished SSHE and the whole "protect your hand" concept is pretty new to me. No reads on any players, as this is my first hand at the table. I raised the flop as, based on the action, I figured to have to best hand. After only inducing one fold, I chickened out and check/called.

Is this not the spot (with a caller in between the bettor) to protect my hand with a c/r? If it is, what is my turn/river action?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

River: (9.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

StellarWind
08-31-2004, 12:18 AM
I understand what you are trying to do but I would wait for a better situation:

1. The SB has already called. He may have something and you cannot expect to get heads up.

2. Too many opponents, too little money in the pot.

3. Your kicker is a serious liability. The chance of losing to a better eight is quite real. You could also make jacks up and lose to queens up.

4. The board is two-suited.

Fold the flop.

TheHip41
08-31-2004, 12:19 AM
Not really sure I understand the flop c/r. You have middle pair, crappy backdoor flush draw and straight draw. So now that you did c/r the flop, you might get like A8, or K8 out, that's cool. Now you are at the turn. Turn is 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif Now you have a flush and straight draw. Check call, ok. Now the river is....a blank.

What hands can the CO AND the SB have here that you overcall with? There is no way you win this hand. One of them has at least a Q.

Usually, when I try protecting my hand, I make sure I 'have' a hand first /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Derek

Holm Fries
08-31-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. It didn't seem right at the time. Potentially I am too eager to put my new found knowledge into play.

Opponent showed A /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif and MHIG. Thus further enforcing less than ideal play. I will look for a better scenario to "protect" in the future.

HF