PDA

View Full Version : Don't Bluff The Fish

RPatterson
08-30-2004, 09:40 PM
This fishy player limps from a mid seat when I'm in the bb and it's folded to the sb who completes. Flop is rags, we check, Mr. fish minumum bets. SB folds and I don't think this guy has anything. Normaly I just let them take it because you never know what they are going to do. But I decide to branch out and make a play on an obvious bluffer.

I call. Turn is a blank. I check, he minumum bets, I raise to size of pot. He calls. I still think he has nothing. Flush card comes on the river, I bet 3/4 of pot, he calls me with A high.

I guess all those times I let shitty players take the pot with minumum bets I was actually being smart and not weak-tight /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

LethalRose
08-30-2004, 09:45 PM
im seeing more and more people call with ace high..its incredible.

poboy
08-30-2004, 09:54 PM
You can't bluff a bad player, you know that. Bluffing requires your opponent to be thinking about more than what he had for lunch today.

RPatterson
08-30-2004, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't bluff a bad player, you know that. Bluffing requires your opponent to be thinking about more than what he had for lunch today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes how bad these guys are just amazes me. Hands that you aren't supposed to bet on the river because they can only beat bluffs, well, I should bet them I guess.

Phill S
08-31-2004, 06:59 AM
its interesting. you simply assume hes a fish making a call with nothing.

maybe he knew he had you. maybe he was simply a better player.

[ QUOTE ]
Normaly I just let them take it because you never know what they are going to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.

[ QUOTE ]
I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

if your sure hes bluffing, why not raise. your giving him a card on his terms. what if he was semi bluffing a straight draw here? a move ive made numerous times.

[ QUOTE ]
I check, he minumum bets, I raise to size of pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

if your bluffing, a pot size bet wont often do it, especially since hes bet into you twice now. its oversize bet or nothing for me.

[ QUOTE ]
Flush card comes on the river, I bet 3/4 of pot

[/ QUOTE ]

no no no. what do you think he'll do. if he has something, hes sure to call. if you insist on continueing with this bluff go all in.

at this point you cant assume he has the same nothing as before. if hes picked up something, hell probably call to see what you have.

heres my main problem with this. you called, the weakest play known to poker player, and you do it thinking he has nothing!!!, you made a wild stab in the dark,then you made a wilder stab in the dark.

what were the stack sizes? how much did you risk here????? did he outstack you. what were the final hands here? did you have any outs??? what did he specifically have? just overcards? maybe a weak ace giving a straight draw???

all im seeing here is a bad play. its started when you say:
[ QUOTE ]
Mr. fish minumum bets. SB folds and I don't think this guy has anything. Normaly I just let them take it because you never know what they are going to do. But I decide to branch out and make a play on an obvious bluffer.

[/ QUOTE ]

i emphasised the important part there. if hes a fish you cant:
1, assume he hasnt hit a ragged flop
2, assume a good bluff will work
3, make a half arsed attempt at bluffing him. he'll simply be confused to where he is and call to find out what happened.
4, come on here and start a thread titled:

[ QUOTE ]
Don't Bluff The Fish

[/ QUOTE ]

we know, we dont.

Phill

Cleveland Guy
08-31-2004, 09:49 AM
what did you have in your hand? Nothing that beats A high it sounds like.

Was he really a fish? or did he think you were the fish? If he had a read on you, maybe he felt his A high was good. Was the flush a runner runner flush?

There are a lot of unknowns that you don't mention. But I know there are certain players I know I can push off A high on a rag board, and others I can't. Gotta know your player before you make moves like this.

Zaebos
08-31-2004, 10:48 AM
maybe you can't bluff em but some fish love to gamble. I raised an early position raiser with AA. He reraised. I went allin he called. He had T2s. I guess he was a big Texas Dolly fan

Cleveland Guy
08-31-2004, 11:15 AM
I believe that's why they are called Fish

stupidsucker
08-31-2004, 04:33 PM
2 fish dont make a rock