PDA

View Full Version : Super Monday Hand

fnord_too
08-30-2004, 09:39 PM
The mini raise pre flop really made me think KK or AA. I froze on the flop due to this and the turn and river just kept getting worse. Who takes a shot at this pot and if so when? I hate that I let the mini raise make me play my queens for set value, but it really froze me. (A bigger raise and I led this flop.)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB (t980)
UTG (t1007)
UTG+1 (t875)
UTG+2 (t955)
Hero (t1030)
MP2 (t1040)
MP3 (t915)
CO (t1158)
Button (t3410)
SB (t785)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to t100</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls t100, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls t40.

Flop: (t330) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t330) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

River: (t330) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets t330</font>, Hero folds, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: t660
<font color="green">Main Pot: t330 (t330), won by Button.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t330 (t330), returned to Button.</font>

woodguy
08-30-2004, 10:47 PM
gotta bet at least 2/3 pot (175 is probably reasonable) on flop as you are probably ahead and need to fish for a 9.

Hopefully A or K folds here, but no guarantees.

If called and turn is K, I check/fold or try to get to the river really cheap.

regards,
woodguy

Ian J
08-30-2004, 10:55 PM
I play this hand the same way as you many times in MTTs. There's just no need to go broke on the flop w/ QQ after getting mini re-raised preflop. The K on the turn is really ugly, and I see no problem w/ not putting in another dime once that comes off.

That said, a flop bet wouldn't have been so bad because I think you can safely fold if things get ugly. Overall, well played IMO.

fnord_too
08-31-2004, 01:18 AM
Well, things are working out with the rest of the tourney. Got really short stacked but have come back to be the chip leader with 64 left. Still not sure about the hand above but I am really glad I didnt loose anymore there.

fnord_too
08-31-2004, 01:38 AM
Out in 48, may post a few hands tmw.

gergery
08-31-2004, 02:55 AM
I think AK, JJ, TT could all easily make minraises to see where they are. I might have min-reraised to see where i was here -- they'll be just as worried that you're slowplaying AA/KK.

Or if you take the more conservative approach and call, then i bet the flop 100% of the time, maybe 250, which should be enought to get AK to fold.

This early, there are just too many people overplaying hands for me to be convinced they have AA/KK

--Greg

fnord_too
08-31-2004, 07:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think AK, JJ, TT could all easily make minraises to see where they are. I might have min-reraised to see where i was here -- they'll be just as worried that you're slowplaying AA/KK.

Or if you take the more conservative approach and call, then i bet the flop 100% of the time, maybe 250, which should be enought to get AK to fold.

This early, there are just too many people overplaying hands for me to be convinced they have AA/KK

--Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I should have bet the flop too before I gave up on the hand. I was planning on betting the turn if no one showed strength, but when the turn put up an overcard I basically gave up on the hand.

patrick dicaprio
08-31-2004, 08:45 AM
it is clear that you have to bet the flop here so next time bet it! after the turn tho i would check call here and fold to a big bet. no need to go broke playing into an overcard board.

Pat

Jonathan
08-31-2004, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it is clear that you have to bet the flop here so next time bet it!
Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand is similar to my recent post of QQ. I think it is extrememly important to bet the flop in order not to give free cards to overcards. Pat, you seems to want to play in the case much more aggressively than in my example. How come?

Regards,
Jonathan