PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to PP 1/2- need reality check

flair1239
08-30-2004, 04:31 PM
I have only logged about 1,000 hands at 1/2 so far. So this might not be accurate. But Things seem noticeably tighter, and more aggressive.

For this reason I find myself more reluctant to give up on 2nd pair and overcards. The following is an example of a typical hand that I probably would give up on on at .5/1, but feel the need to push here.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, Button folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qd As (one pair, tens).
UTG+2 shows Ah 5h (one pair, tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.50 BB. </font>

My general read on the table was that it was tight. Folding around had happend a couple times. UTG2 did not stand out a much, had not played any really weak hands but was not very aggressive from what I had seen.

I bet the flop because I figured there was a good chance it had missed everyone, and I thought that I would get raised if somebody had the 10s. Now This is where it gets murky, I bet the turn because I thought that since I had raised that UTG2 might feel that that was a good card for me; also I was not sure that I did not have the best hand still. I bet the River because I was pretty sure that it was a blank, and thought that if I checked, he would probably bet back at me anyways.

Is this good heads up play or just plain pushing a bad hand?

btspider
08-30-2004, 04:52 PM
one thing i've noticed is a lot more "great laydowns" on the river for one bet. i am trying to figure out how to adjust according to the "bet only when you think you'll be ahead when called".

PotatoStew
08-30-2004, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this good heads up play or just plain pushing a bad hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great question. All I know is I find myself in situations like this way too often these days, and I always feel ill right before the showdown. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nolanfan34
08-30-2004, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My general read on the table was that it was tight. Folding around had happend a couple times.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're talking PF, find another table. 1/2 can be a little tighter, but it's worth switching tables, with so many of them out there. If I see it get folded around once I start to look elsewhere.

Regarding the hand itself - based on the read of the table I think the flop bet is fine. OK, so one player is coming along for the ride. I'd bet the turn as well, due to the fact you will generally find out where you are in the hand pretty quickly. Heads up, you'll see a lot of folds here when the turn doesn't help the opponent's hand.

A hand like this is much harder to play out of position though. If you had position on the opponent, I'd be more likely to check through the turn to avoid a check-raise if a T is out there.

bisonbison
08-30-2004, 09:03 PM
check the river.

AnteGravity
08-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Talk about reality check, what was wrong with this guy calling the river like that when he had only had an A-high to contribute to the board? Thats just like throwing away BBs