PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play this hand differently? If so, why?

Sidekick
08-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Table is running almost 40% seeing the flop. This is only my second circuit around the table. Betting seems to be pretty tight/weak for the short time I've been at this table.

Reads: The only reads I had were on people that folded preflop.

Anyone play this differently? All comments are appreciated.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

Goon2
08-30-2004, 03:54 PM
I think you play it the same way. Checking and giving a free card is not an option, and given the passivity after the flop, a c/r would have failed.

Joe Tall
08-30-2004, 03:56 PM
What more could you ask for? Too get check-raised by a lesser hand on the turn? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif You played it fine.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Sidekick
08-30-2004, 07:19 PM
I realize I won the hand, but that doesn't mean that I played the hand well or as well as it could have been played. I thought I played it correctly, but that doesn't make it so.

I am trying to analyze some hands that I win, as well as some that I lose. Especially those that are fairly typical situations like having QQ or JJ and overcards hitting the board.

I am trying to avoid falling into the trap that I see many online players fall into of, "I won the hand. I played it well and I'm a good player! Don't try and tell me how to play poker!" I would rather lose a hand and play it as well as could be expected than play like crap all the time and win some hands when I happen to get lucky.

I hope that makes sense.

nolanfan34
08-30-2004, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Checking and giving a free card is not an option, and given the passivity after the flop, a c/r would have failed.

[/ QUOTE ]

A check-raise really would have failed since he's last to act on the flop and turn.

Anyway, on the hand itself, I think you played it well. I don't see an opponent with an A checking to you on the flop unless they have A6 or AT specifically. On the turn when they check again, I'd also bet. I'd imagine you folded two hands that were still drawing live against you, like a JT or flush draw.

cjromero
08-31-2004, 08:36 AM
I think you played it well. Don't give someone credit for an Ace until they prove it to you, which they aren't going to do by just calling your flop bet.

helpmeout
08-31-2004, 08:47 AM
Strangely I was in a very similar situation just with more players.

However I checked the flop and no one bet, the table is pretty passive so I dont think an A low kicker would raise me. I'd rather have the information that my QQ is good now then findout on the river when a calling station beats me with A5.

I then bet the turn and river (2nd Ace fell on the turn) and won the pot.