PDA

View Full Version : Unfamiliar Waters

08-20-2002, 03:15 AM
This is a 20-40 game and is the first time I have probably ever cold-called a raise with A-Q offsuit (besides the blinds)...I decided to try it out because I am reading Brier-Ciaffone's and they suggest that sometimes it is the correct play (not sure if I agree)

ANYWAYS

Middle position open raiser (average-good ABC player), Cut-off Loose Aggresive player calls...I call on the button with AcQs, Big Blind calls...4 players $170

Flop Kh-3s-9h...Checked around

Turn Qc...checked to me I bet initial raiser called everyone else folder

River 9h...check-bet fold...

Anyone have any comments on any part of this hand? Was my pre-flop call a big mistake? I wasnt really comfortable playing the hand post-flop because I had never been in the same situation before...

08-20-2002, 09:37 AM
Most people's open raising standards will have loosened up a bit by middle position, so I think AQo should be playable depending on the player. I'm still not sure I like the cold call though. Re-raising might be better.

08-20-2002, 01:14 PM
With another player already committed, I see no point in 3-betting preflop since you cannot isolate the raiser anymore. Even an "ABC" player will have a wider range of hands for open-raising in middle position than he would if he were open-raising from early position. Your ace-queen offsuit is clearly playable, so I think simply calling is fine.

When the flop gets checked around (which it should not have in my opinion - the preflop raiser should bet here), then you can assume your pair of queens on the turn with an ace kicker is now good and play it as such.

I am assuming the river card was not the 9h since that card was on the flop. I gather it was a different nine.

Note how differently the hand turns out if the preflop raiser bets the flop, representing A-K or something. I believe you would have to fold since you could be dead to an ace if not totally dead to runner-runner.

08-20-2002, 02:18 PM
"Flop....Checked (to me on the button)"

Bet.